Summerization (Read 126 times)
nicka
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tucson
Summerization
06/08/09 at 22:14:21

We are leaving Tucson for the summer, 10 or 12 weeks or so.  The Savage will be in the garage where temperatures will often hit the high nineties.  The bike is stock except for a gel battery (delivers 13.1 volts cold in the morning) and a Raptor thingy.  I was thinking of disconnecting the battery leads,  leaving it with a full tank of gas with the thingy in the “off” position and the carb drained.

Any experience, thoughts, comments, or other wisdom would be appreciated.

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Summerization
Reply #1 - 06/08/09 at 22:18:35

fresh oil. Throw some seafoam or stabil in with the fresh gas. Also, dont top off the tank that way if the gas expands a lot it wont leak out all over the tank. make sure the petcock is set to off. Same basic steps as winterization. Or springization. Anytime the bike's going to sit more than a couple weeks unused.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 06/08/09 at 23:49:30

Might put the battery on a trickle if you have a 1 amp or less...
If you really want to be safe with the carb, turn the petcock off and drain the floatbowl... then crank the engine over a couple of times, to pull gas out of the jets..
Have a nice vacation....

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #3 - 06/09/09 at 06:32:12

no OFF on stock ls 650 petcocks

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #4 - 06/09/09 at 06:37:25

I wouldn't change the oil unless it was due anyway, then I'd change it for sure.  I'd drain the tank and run the carburetor dry; my second choice would be Stabil or equal stabilizer in the gas & run the engine to get it into the carb.  Air up the tires.  And automatic trickle charger would be good but probably not necessary in the Summer.

IP Logged
Duane

Creatively
Maladjusted

Terra Plane
Reply #5 - 06/09/09 at 08:32:16

thumperclone wrote on 06/09/09 at 06:32:12:
no OFF on stock ls 650 petcocks

Raptor thingy  Wink

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. JFK

WWW duanedaringer   IP Logged
matt_savage

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 06/09/09 at 08:52:12

Wouldnt draining the tank and running the carb dry be better for storing than leaving it full of gas w/ stabil or something similar in it?  I'm just asking b/c I had to clean and coat the inside of my 10 year old fuel tank b/c of rust and shellac from what I think was caused by gas left in there for an extended period of time.  I know that when I store my this winter its gonna get the tank drained as well as the carb run dry to prevent and rust/shellac/gook in those places.  

-Matt

IP Logged
nicka
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tucson
Reply #7 - 06/09/09 at 09:39:10

Raptor thingy, so it has an off.  I will run the carb dry and add seafoam to the tank.  I don't think my 800 ma charger is smart enough to exert proper control over 12 weeks unattended.  Thanks to all who kindly responded.

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 06/09/09 at 15:50:14

matt_savage wrote on 06/09/09 at 08:52:12:
Wouldnt draining the tank and running the carb dry be better for storing than leaving it full of gas w/ stabil or something similar in it?  I'm just asking b/c I had to clean and coat the inside of my 10 year old fuel tank b/c of rust and shellac from what I think was caused by gas left in there for an extended period of time.  I know that when I store my this winter its gonna get the tank drained as well as the carb run dry to prevent and rust/shellac/gook in those places.  

-Matt

Thats what the stabil is for. It claims to prevent the laquering for 2 years though I've never had it longer than a few months during winter. It also keeps any water in the gas from seperating and settling in the tank causing rust. In all honesty you could just drain the tank and carb if you're going to be gone just a month or two. I had my tank off this winter and it was drained although my humid basement and empty tank did create some surface rust inside. Not enough to even bother worrying about though.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 15:36:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Summerization

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.