Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
newbie needs help overcoming a few rookie mistakes (Read 205 times)
JaniceM
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NW PA
newbie needs help overcoming a few rookie mistakes
06/08/09 at 21:28:54

Maybe someone else here has run into a few things that concern me.  I want to avoid the problems that took me down before!
First off--anyone have trouble when braking with front brake that they hit the throttle some with their thumb?  I heard mine rev, and when I was working in place with it, it happened then, too.  Except for time, and being overly conscious of it, is there a suggestion?  Any adjustment to bike that can be made, like changing the levers?  My hands aren't extremely strong since chemo, but strong enough.  Yet my brake lever seems to be a bit far..I wonder if that is how I catch throttle on way--stretching so far?  Got the Clymer manual this week, but don't see much that helps--except maybe someone who has done it.
OK--it's so long, I will leave it at that for now!  Thanks ahead of time.
Janice

Chaos...where great dreams begin.
2007 S40
  IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Re: newbie needs help overcoming a few rookie mist
Reply #1 - 06/09/09 at 03:32:33

Two things.  If you are accellerating when braking then either you are rolling the throttle open while squeezing the brake or as you said your thumb is hitting it.........just make sure your throttle cable still has the screw in the keeper on the bottom side of the throttle housing where the cable enters the housing.  Your thumb could be hitting the cable and rolling it out of the hosing causing it to accelerate

It does sound like the lever is too large a pull.  What year bike do you have?  The only suggestion I would have is that you might be able to change the master cylinder/brake lever out to one off a newer GS500E/F.  The had adjustable brake levers if I remember correctly.  Suzuki used two bore diameters on the master cylinder from the mid 80's through the 90's.  One for all the twin brakes and a smaller one for the single brake set ups.  The GS500E/F use the smaller bore just like the savage/S40.  I am building a cafe bike using the savage engine and have a mix of GS500E brakes and currently a savage master but may switch back to the GS500E master but they are interchageable as far as cylinder size.  The key to the cylinder size is it affects the lever throw and force required for braking.

If you want help in checking this out let me know via email and I can do some cross checking of parts for you.

WWW   IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Reply #2 - 06/09/09 at 04:38:51

smokin_blue wrote on 06/09/09 at 03:32:33:
The only suggestion I would have is that you might be able to change the master cylinder/brake lever out to one off a newer GS500E/F.  The had adjustable brake levers if I remember correctly.

GS master cylinder won't be a straight swap because of handlebar diameter but one of the adjustable GS/SV/GSF/GSX levers might fit.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #3 - 06/09/09 at 10:10:50

I haven't checked in a while - but most of the time on ebay were some replacement levers - they are wider and closer to the bar so you don't need to reach for them - put set on the better-half's '02

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #4 - 06/09/09 at 12:22:47

With Reelthings suggestion sounding like the right thing youre looking for.....I wanted to add also,until you find those.....maybe getting conciously use to using the rear brake more while learning.

When first learning,I always wanted to grab the front brake which is how I fell !! I had to start concentrating on and using the rear brake more.
Of course,while learning I was going slow in a parking lot and around my subdivision  Smiley

Also if you search some of your question's on google you'll find alot of people ask the same questions and there will be lots of good info.

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #5 - 06/09/09 at 13:27:21

Try using the middle finger on the front brake then you don't pull the gas at the same time,I use mostly the rear brake at slow speeds.

« Last Edit: 06/12/09 at 05:59:38 by bill67 »  

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #6 - 06/09/09 at 15:23:53

SV og LS wrote on 06/09/09 at 04:38:51:
smokin_blue wrote on 06/09/09 at 03:32:33:
The only suggestion I would have is that you might be able to change the master cylinder/brake lever out to one off a newer GS500E/F.  The had adjustable brake levers if I remember correctly.

GS master cylinder won't be a straight swap because of handlebar diameter but one of the adjustable GS/SV/GSF/GSX levers might fit.

You are oh so right.  I am going the other way from the 1" bar down to 7/8" so I forgot that tidbit!

WWW   IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #7 - 06/09/09 at 18:01:45

When I first started riding I had that problem. What I was doing was keeping my thumb wrapped around the throttle and reaching for the brake with my fingers.

The fix? Make sure you take your thumb off when you reach for the brake.

-D. Dwarf

Pearl White 2007 S40; Dyna exhaust; Current jets: 52.5 w/ bleed (2 turns out) / 1.5mm (0.06") spacer / 150; raptor petcock
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #8 - 06/09/09 at 19:34:56

Practice, practice, practice.......  it will get better.   Sounds like an excuse to go ride.....  Grin

Braking should be instinctive.    Do you have to think about hitting the brakes on you car??  Probably not.  How did you get that way?  practice, practice, practice.....

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
tomtaz1975
YaBB Newbies

Let's Ride!

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #9 - 06/09/09 at 19:41:39

Also try adjusting your wrist position when you grab the throttle.  You may be reaching the brake but the throttle isn't fully rolled off.  This can happen if you reposition your hand while you ride, so you change where your hand is in relation to the brake.

Before you get into something more complicated:
Before you roll the throttle (you can check even without the bike running) can you reach the brake OK?

If so, position your hand where you can reach the throttle, and practice going to 1/4 or 1/2 throttle (best when on) and reaching the brake again.

2001, Yellow, Dunstall Megaphone Long, 155 Main, 55 Pilot, no spacer, K&N Filter.
  IP Logged
JaniceM
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NW PA
Reply #10 - 06/09/09 at 21:35:49

I don't know how to thank you all enough for the tips and insights.  I am going out to the garage in the a.m. and try a few of them out.  I also plan on talking with hubby about some of these things, as he can watch me and observe, too.
I feel so comfortable asking things here already.  Thank you all so much!
Maybe someday I can help the newbie.
Janice

Chaos...where great dreams begin.
2007 S40
  IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #11 - 06/10/09 at 06:40:11

One other set up suggestion.  When you sit on the bike with your arms to the bars in your natural riding position, straighten your fingers straight out like you are about to squeeze the brake lever.  Your fingers and arm should make a straight line.  Then check that the brake lever just rests under your fingers at that same level.  If you have to reach down (arm and fingers are angled to each other) then the lever is too low and the whole master cylinder should be rotated up.  if the you have to bend your fingers back to get over the lever then it is too high and should be rotated down.  It is amazing how many bikes get quickly set up at the shop and never properly adjusted.

good luck.  Wink

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 05:21:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › newbie needs help overcoming a few rookie mistakes

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.