Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
header wrap (Read 152 times)
danroot

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

header wrap
06/08/09 at 16:26:45

any of you guys ever heard that using a heat wrap on your header will make it brittle? local mechanic guy says that it traps heat and will not let the pipe cool down, making it brittle.

never heard that one, what do y'all say?

IP Logged
Savage Eddie

Custom Bob's ROCK!

40 miles west of Chicago
Re: header wrap
Reply #1 - 06/08/09 at 16:56:43

im gonna go grab my hammer and smack my exhaust pipe....

seriously, i am a certified mechanic and have never come across a problem with header wrap yet. i use it on my 99 and had it on my 96. i put 5000 miles on the last one and tomorrow ill unwrap the pipe and see what it looks like. (one of the few parts i have left of it) if theres any signs of brittleness or damage from the wrap ill take a pic and post it

IP Logged
danroot

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 06/08/09 at 17:17:16

sweet!  my pipe has been wrapped for about a year and i dig the look and the the fact that i dont melt my chucks that easily. it would be a shame to have to remove it.

IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #3 - 06/08/09 at 21:18:12

Quote:
Should I use a Header Wrap?
NO! ABSOLUTELY NOT.
There is nothing that will damage a header faster than the use of a header wrap, other than attacking it with a hammer or shot gun.  As advertised, these wraps do keep the majority of exhaust gas temperatures within the header.  The result is the wraps will prohibit the header tubing from cooling properly.  If you reduce the ability for headers to dissipate adequate heat properly, the result will  be premature failure of the metal.   Depending upon the application use and temperatures involved, the life can be reduced to only a few hours.  We consider exhaust wraps to be the header manufacturer's best friend.

http://www.stahlheaders.com/faq.htm

Quote:
What voids this warranty?
Failure to provide proof of purchase, Damage from collision or accidents, improper installation, altered/modified or changed in any way, off-road or racing use, vehicles equipped with non-factory supercharged, turbo-charged or nitrous oxide, road hazards, incorrect timing and external heat wraps.

http://www.gibsonexhaust.com/autowarranty.html

Quote:
Damage or product failure resulting from collision, improper installation, off-road use, road hazards, the use of exhaust insulating wrap or like products or rust occurring after installation, is not covered by the warranty.

http://products.jbaheaders.com/warrantyinfo.asp

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 06/08/09 at 22:13:23

danroot wrote on 06/08/09 at 16:26:45:
any of you guys ever heard that using a heat wrap on your header will make it brittle? local mechanic guy says that it traps heat and will not let the pipe cool down, making it brittle.

I doubt that's the reason the one brittle pipe he saw (ok I'm generous) was caused by heat alone.  

Method 1) heat treat it till it's super hard but breaks like glass.  How do you heat treat steel?  heat it till it's glowing red hot then cool it suddenly.  How do you draw it back (make softer)? age it by heating to about 900°F

Method 2) Heat it and cool it.  leave it wet inbetween heatings.  Becomes heat induced corrossion.  More likely the case as the header wrap will pick up and hold moisture.

WWW   IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #5 - 06/09/09 at 15:42:44

I've got my header wrapped and I'll be reincarnated and win the lottery three times before that pipe crumbles.

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
danroot

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 06/10/09 at 18:11:42

seems like a mixed opinion, anyone else want to chime in?

IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 06/10/09 at 18:53:02

My Smith torch gets 1/8th inch steel about 1800 degrees and I quench the steel in oil or water to harden it. I run propane and oxygen. I was not aware that gasoline would make my steel parts that hot? Wink

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/10/09 at 19:01:18

danroot wrote on 06/08/09 at 16:26:45:

The Harley dealership told me to wrap it after soaked for two hours. They said to wrap with quarter inch overlaps to let some heat out.

IP Logged
Savage Eddie

Custom Bob's ROCK!

40 miles west of Chicago
Reply #9 - 06/11/09 at 04:31:30

just a update, i did pull the header wrap off my old pipe and there was no damage, no discoloration and the pipe was still strong as ever...

yes, i smacked it with a hammer in two spots just to see how it sounded and if it felt brittle. i proceeded to wipe the pipe down and it cleaned up pretty well actually...heh

IP Logged
Seth C.

Tucson, AZ
Reply #10 - 06/11/09 at 14:33:19

Rogue_Cheddar wrote on 06/09/09 at 15:42:44:
I've got my header wrapped and I'll be reincarnated and win the lottery three times before that pipe crumbles.

LMFAO! Grin

My opinion, pipe wrap =  Smiley
Just my .02

2001 Suzuki Savage LS650
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 15:55:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › header wrap