Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Shrink-Wrap Tubing Question (Read 140 times)
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Shrink-Wrap Tubing Question
06/07/09 at 19:16:09

I need help.

I'm filling out a McMaster-Carr order. I wanted to get some heat-shrink tubing to replenish my stocks.

There are many different types offered:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#heat-shrink-tubing/=27wdxi

I'll be applying heat with a 1400 watt heat gun.

Of the huge selection offered, what type would you recommend for work on motorcycles, including dual-purpose bikes?

Here's what I've drilled down to so far (correct me if I've gone astray):

TYPE: Adhesive-Lined (Moisture Seal) ---> MATERIAL: Flexible Polyolefin ---> POLYOLEFIN TYPE: Standard ---> SHRINK RATIO: 2:1.

Remember, I'll be using a 1400 watt heat gun to apply the shrinking heat.

TIA!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Shrink-Wrap Tubing Question
Reply #1 - 06/07/09 at 21:17:51

What? You mean I could have been getting PECANS in my waffles? Who knew?

I had no idea there were so many kinds of heat shrink tubing. Ive been getting a cheapo pack, no adhesive, just a shrinking tube, ( no comments, please) from Harbor Freight.

My application method is a bit more advanced than yours, tho Digger. I use a cigarette lighter. Its portable, requires no AC voltage, fits in my pocket. I had no idea people used heat guns for it. Now I gots ta have me some!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #2 - 06/07/09 at 21:29:10

Pretty much anything that doesn't get super hard, or is really thin will work great.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/07/09 at 22:15:06

I've used the standard type, and now only use the moisture seal type.  The standard type does not seal out everyday humidity and allows the wire connection to corrode green.  I found this out by noticing green corrosion at the ends of the shrink tube on one of my cars.  Upon removing the tubing, I found the copper wire to have green corrosion.  It is also important to clean your solder joint well before you shrink tube it, and now in addition to this, I spray a little " Deoxit D5" on the solder joint and bare wire before I shrink tube it.  Deoxit D5 is expensive but a top of the line product for protecting from corrosion on electrical connections. This combination has lasted for years for me, with no corrosion.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #4 - 06/08/09 at 21:58:36

Arthur wrote on 06/07/09 at 22:15:06:
I've used the standard type, and now only use the moisture seal type.  The standard type does not seal out everyday humidity and allows the wire connection to corrode green.  I found this out by noticing green corrosion at the ends of the shrink tube on one of my cars.  Upon removing the tubing, I found the copper wire to have green corrosion.  It is also important to clean your solder joint well before you shrink tube it, and now in addition to this, I spray a little " Deoxit D5" on the solder joint and bare wire before I shrink tube it.  Deoxit D5 is expensive but a top of the line product for protecting from corrosion on electrical connections. This combination has lasted for years for me, with no corrosion.

Gort,

Thanks for the data dump.....I'm good to go now!

I've got some De-Ox-Id sitting on the shelf.  Do you think this stuff would work?

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/08/09 at 22:03:48

I read the description of your De-Ox and its just what you need.  De Ox is expensive but a real quality product.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #6 - 06/08/09 at 22:16:28

Arthur wrote on 06/08/09 at 22:03:48:
I read the description of your De-Ox and its just what you need.  De Ox is expensive but a real quality product.

thats one of the products we use for terminatinf aluminum condoctors..
"goose grease"
no loxs or no loks is another
just bee dilligent and mask off,cover, areas where you dont want the drips the higher the ambient the runnier it is..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #7 - 06/08/09 at 22:16:39

Digger: As a long-time electrical/electronics worker both pro and hobby, I can tell you that you are absolutely on the right track with both products:
The shrink wrap I prefer for anything that goes outside includes the plastic sealant that squishes out the ends, for the reasons already stated. And the Caig's DeOxit and other products are the #1 choice of serious Pro audio and music instrument amp repair guys. It's worth the extra expense in the parts it can salvage and time saved!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 06/09/09 at 03:24:49

Ive never seen these high quality shrink tubes. Where should I be looking?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #9 - 06/09/09 at 22:19:17

Gort, Thumper, Rockin - thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Justin - I'm getting some from McMaster-Carr just to fill out an order.

Someone on my Gold Wing board recommended these guys for quality wiring stuff:  Pacer Marine

A guy on my KLR forum recommended this stuff:  Sumitube

I'm sure there are LOTS of other good suppliers.

Digger
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 07:29:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Shrink-Wrap Tubing Question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.