Send Topic Print
Oil thermometer? (Read 254 times)
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Re: Oil thermometer?
Reply #15 - 06/08/09 at 19:05:23

Very cool pics!  So is the left hand side of the cylinder hotter than the right, or was it just coming up to temp between the times the two pics were taken I wonder? Undecided

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #16 - 06/08/09 at 19:52:14

Within about 5 minutes of shutting off the bike after today's dyno run, I saw the owner had one of those point and shoot temperature devices.  I pointed it at the same spot Stimpy has his kitchen thermometer mounted and it read 186 degrees.  

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #17 - 06/08/09 at 20:20:37

John_D FSO wrote on 06/08/09 at 19:05:23:
Very cool pics!  So is the left hand side of the cylinder hotter than the right, or was it just coming up to temp between the times the two pics were taken I wonder? Undecided

I've got one of those little hand held laser pointer temp guages too; really cool to point it at about anything and read the temp differentials.

The difference between the right and left side of the cylinder puzzled me for just a moment; then I remembered the cavity for the cam chain and realized why the right side APPEARS cooler in the spots over the cooler chain cavity with oil slinging around in it. Behind the cam chain I would imagine it may be hotter yet than even the left side of the cylinder.

IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #18 - 06/08/09 at 20:40:33

Rockin_John wrote on 06/08/09 at 20:20:37:
John_D FSO wrote on 06/08/09 at 19:05:23:

I've got one of those little hand held laser pointer temp guages too; really cool to point it at about anything and read the temp differentials.

The difference between the right and left side of the cylinder puzzled me for just a moment; then I remembered the cavity for the cam chain and realized why the right side APPEARS cooler in the spots over the cooler chain cavity with oil slinging around in it. Behind the cam chain I would imagine it may be hotter yet than even the left side of the cylinder.

Duh, I shoulda realized that. Embarrassed  

So the left side is certainly the right side (get it? Cheesy) to put the turkey thermometer on.

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #19 - 06/09/09 at 06:14:01

The thing with both the kitchen thermometer (love the idea!!!) and the oil plug thermometer is that they are next to invisible when riding.

I don't think one can simply stoop over and peek while at speed.

I found an interesting three gauge kit, a mere 1 1/2" dia. each, at... whatever car parts store.

Oil pressure (sensor goes into the iol service port next to the right footpeg)
Oil temperature (sensor goes to the oil service port under the sump, next to the oil drain plug)
Volts (sensor goes to the ... d'uh ... battery !)

Intend to fit mine next autumn when the leaves fall and make a mess of trolley tracks  Cool

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 03:28:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil thermometer?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.