What kind of muffler?

IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Re: Dang muffler
Reply #1 - 06/03/09 at 15:05:18

I used the Versachem (kinda tan looking stuff?), and didn't notice any smoke.  Of course I was on the highway the first 1/2 hour or so it was curing, and may not have noticed. Undecided

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Re: Dang muffler
Reply #2 - 06/03/09 at 18:30:44

I am ready to crappity smacking sell this bike. The muffler is leaking at the header again. I swear to all that is holy. The muffler is loose at the header. Should I be puting a mounting bracket on the under side of this muffler. The bracket that came with it wont bent to fit where the stock muffler used to go.  The header connection was tighter than a 40 year old virgin nun and has now come a bit loose. It looks as though the muffler clamp has wiggled loose. I have a 1 5/8 reducer and the muffler had to be hammered on with a rubber mallet. I had to crappity smacking chisel the clamp down into place. What crappity smacking else do I have to do to this thing, shy of running it into a brickwall from frustration.

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Re: Dang muffler ( ready to rid of this bike)
Reply #3 - 06/03/09 at 19:47:06

I'm guessing that joint is flexing.  Do you still have the asbestos pads on the inside of the header heat shield?  Is the muffle mounted solidly to the muffler mounting bracket?

IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #4 - 06/04/09 at 02:34:58

Am I reading correctly that the muffler's not bolted to the support bracket back by the swingarm?  If that's the case, the extra weight and the vibration from everything might make things work loose faster.  If I read incorrectly, and it does have bracing somewhere other than just the header clamp, the disregard my previous rambling... Roll Eyes

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 06/04/09 at 03:57:12

Like John said, just those 2 skinny bolts at the head wont keep that exhaust stable.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/04/09 at 04:21:01

bah humbug lol. Sorry for my rant. The bike has been funny on me this year and its getting frustrating. So what size drill bit should I use to drill the extra hole on that mounting bracket?

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #7 - 06/04/09 at 05:24:31

Does the muffler have a mounting tab or bracket?  When I ran with the sportster muffler directly on the header, the mounting tab fell about an inch in front of and just below the front hole of the bike's mounting bracket.  I made an L bracket with three holes- 2 for the bike's bracket and one for the muffler tab.  When I added the angled extension, I flipped the bracket over to where the muffler tab mounted and inch behind and just below the bike's mounting bracket.

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/04/09 at 09:52:33

diamond jim wrote on 06/04/09 at 05:24:31:
Does the muffler have a mounting tab or bracket?  When I ran with the sportster muffler directly on the header, the mounting tab fell about an inch in front of and just below the front hole of the bike's mounting bracket.  I made an L bracket with three holes- 2 for the bike's bracket and one for the muffler tab.  When I added the angled extension, I flipped the bracket over to where the muffler tab mounted and inch behind and just below the bike's mounting bracket.  

My muff has a slot where the mounting tab slides with the bolt in it. The bolt pokes out of the slot and then the nut tightens over it to hold. The mounting tab may lie just above the mounting arm on the bike, but it can be slightly bent down without loosening the exhaust from the piston. I hope.

IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #9 - 06/04/09 at 13:16:50

odvelasc wrote on 06/04/09 at 09:52:33:
diamond jim wrote on 06/04/09 at 05:24:31:

My muff has a slot where the mounting tab slides with the bolt in it. The bolt pokes out of the slot and then the nut tightens over it to hold. The mounting tab may lie just above the mounting arm on the bike, but it can be slightly bent down without loosening the exhaust from the piston. I hope.

An alternative would be to fab up something to bridge the gap between the two.  It probably wouldn't even have to be super heavy duty.  Just a small length of strap iron that you could put an angle in if needed, and bolt from the muffler to the brace.  Just having it bolted to even one of the holes would probably help relieve the weight on the header bolts a lot. Cool

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 08:27:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Re: Dang muffler

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.