Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
too rich = no backfire (Read 128 times)
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
too rich = no backfire
06/03/09 at 09:11:29

I learned when we started the dyno run that my 55 w/ bleed holes pilot was way too rich at idle with stoichiometric of 8-9 depending on mixture 1 full turn out to all the way in.  As for riding, at 1 full turn out (stoichiometric 8), I still get some quick loud pop backfirng when 1) shifting from 1st to second, second to third- both when revs are a little higher than other gears, 2) when cruising at a steady higher rpm such as going down the highway in 5th and roll off the throttle.  I know al of this is common for our bikes. However, by turning the mixture screw out to 1 1/3 turn total, I can eliminate all highway throttle roll off pops and get only an occasional, isolated low volume poof on some decels.  For all intents and purposes, I'd say the overly rich idle circuit eliminates the noises.  But at this setting, the engine starts to stumble when I come to a stop due to being too rich.  

Do you think removing a little of the richness from the idle circuit (screw in to maybe 3/4 turn) and adding it to the midrange (thinner spacer) would achieve the same level of backfire elimination as an overly rich idle circuit?  In other words, with my pipe, will a mildly rich pilot + a mildly rich needle position accomplish the same as an overly rich pilot?  

Edit: On the flip side, can you use the pilot jet/mixture screw settings that are required to eliminate backfires and pops as an indicator of the flow characteristics of a pipe?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: too rich = no backfire
Reply #1 - 06/03/09 at 10:00:45

Yup,... sounds logical to me.  Might help your gas mileage too...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #2 - 06/03/09 at 10:33:21

Would you say a #55 pilot w/ bh and mixture screw only say a 1/2 turn out passes the same as a stock 52.5 at 3 turns out?  

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 06/04/09 at 00:29:32

not on my bike it didnt. 55 w/bh and my bike would barely start and idled like crap even with the mix screw all the way in. Any throttle at all would expel a considerable amount of black smoke. Choke wasnt even an option. a 55 without bleed holes would set me up nice but im not sure where to get them so i havent bothered. i just keep an eye on my mix screw to make sure it isnt turning further outward. 2k+mi and it hasnt moved so...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 06/04/09 at 03:59:46

Hows the white washer play into this? Seems if its been cut down or removed, maybe this would be a place for it to be thicker than it is now?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 06/04/09 at 04:21:42

Mine also didn't like 55 with holes at all. I could crank and drive with screw all the way in, still being rich.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:23:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › too rich = no backfire

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.