Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
good news bad news, lights and leaks!! (Read 109 times)
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
good news bad news, lights and leaks!!
06/02/09 at 23:32:40

ok so i finally got all the leds for my bike, and i put my karate crest on the tank and fender BUT i just realized i'm leaking gas out of a hose near the choke. i want to say it's always been there, i would feel cold and think nothing of it but this time i felt drips....y does this little crap keep happening to me??!

the lights are purple but my camera makes them look blue for some reason, i like them alot! and i put the crests on to represent my art.

SO i assume i have to drain the tank and put a new freaking hose on...it's got these little "pressure" clips and when i wiggled it more gas came out.

is it safe to ride like this or am i in trouble? and what do i do? buy a new hose or a new clamp. i have a bunch of radiator hose clamps that should do. HELP!!

u can see in the pic where the gas is coming from

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: good news bad news, lights and leaks!!
Reply #1 - 06/02/09 at 23:40:23

No, you don't have to drain the tank......  
Just have the petcock set to, On or Reserve, (not on Prime!)... and you can pull the hose and put on a new one...

Congrats on the light install,... pics often don't do justice... but I like to see them anyway!... Thanks...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #2 - 06/02/09 at 23:42:07

I'd say replace the hose, it's probably just old and cracked.  If it's seeping rather than an actual drip, you could maybe ride it, but I wouldn't.  You run the risk of the vibration of the bike making it worse unexpectedly, and getting gas all over not only your bike, but some fairly tender portions of your anatomy, if the wind takes it the wrong way. Shocked  Plus the obvious fire hazard if you had gas running all over.

Oh, and sharp looking lights and crests! Cool

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #3 - 06/02/09 at 23:44:04

thank goodness cuz i just filled up! lol

so i'll just take it off and get a new one @ the auto store. do u think i should use new clamps, same clamps or radiator hose clamps? i bought a 3000 pack @ harbor freight and only used 2 so far on my turn signals lol(which i painted black 2nite btw)

and yeah the pics barely show it BUT it lights up the road around me, like my aura is riding shotgun lol

i swear i'm going to know this bike inside and out but i expect little things on an older bike.

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #4 - 06/02/09 at 23:46:29

we must've written @ the same time!

i love our crest, my instructor designed it personally and each part means something.

my friend who does mma says i'm too prideful in my style(mma is a mixture of many) and i told him he was just mad of how wicked my crest is  Cheesy

IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #5 - 06/02/09 at 23:48:33

If the hose fits snug already, it shouldn't take much clamp pressure to seal it all up.  The one you have there looks in decent shape, I'd stick with it.  

By radiator hose clamps, do you mean the kind of hose clamps you tighten down with a screw going through all the slots cut into the band?  If so, I've noticed those can chew up the outside of the hose if you get overzealous with the screwdriver. Grin  They do work fine though.

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 06/02/09 at 23:51:02

same or new,... clamps hold up a long time....it's a low pressure hose....
whatever looks cooler... Grin

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #7 - 06/02/09 at 23:52:26

i hear that!! if i keep up with the radiator hose clamp, it'll make my transition to rat bike alot easier! lol

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 06/02/09 at 23:55:29

Rat bike?..... use bailing wire, or or twisty......Tongue:!... Grin

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #9 - 06/02/09 at 23:58:04

HAHAHA!! u know what i meant! u guys call em bobbers i guess !

i once saw a hot rod that had license plates stapled together to make a door panel on  the inside....thought that was the coolest thing ever!

IP Logged
kevinphan

Dracut, Massachusetts
Reply #10 - 06/03/09 at 00:43:42

Lights are looking badass bro, bummer on the leak though.

WWW diverseclothing   IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #11 - 06/03/09 at 06:06:11

Cable ties work well enough as hose clamps, but you have to cut them off instead of just removing them. They may also get brittle from UV (sunlight) exposure after a while.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #12 - 06/03/09 at 09:14:42

thanks bro!! i really like em, maybe a couple more are in order!!

and i know right? now that i wanna cruise around with the lights, LEAK! lol that's how it goes sometimes though, i'm gonna go 2morrow and replace the hose, i need a filter wrench so the auto store is a must anyway!

and i was wondering about toughness of the clamp so i want to avoid plastic. @least now i'll get better gas mileage by it staying in the tank hahaha

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 02:27:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › good news bad news, lights and leaks!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.