Hello all! (Read 251 times)
LawDawg77
YaBB Newbies

Thumpin' tha
Thumper!

Mississippi
Hello all!
06/02/09 at 02:48:33

Lets see, where to start? I own a 2001 LS650 that my husband bought for me two years ago. I sat on it a couple of times at first but was timid when it came to learning to ride. My husband rode it because I wouldn't.. but recently he purchased a Yamaha Virago so it freed up the Savage for me.

After it had sat for a few months, my hubby took it to the Suzuki repair shop for a thorough going over. Last week we took it to a large parking lot, after studying the shifter,clutch,brakes ect, I hopped on. I fired it up and was nervous!! I slowly released the clutch to the friction zone and walked it around twice.. After that I released the clutch and away I went. WHAT A RUSH!!! After several days of the parking lot lessons I took it out yesterday. It was so fun!!

I still am working on the corners and learning to lean more. I still feel when I corner or give it gas to turn from a stop, that it is going to fly out from under me, but I'm getting better. Going for permit today.. I have no idea why I was so terrified of the bike.. I'm still a bit nervous but feel confident it will lessen as time goes by.

Sorry for the long post but, I have been bitten by the bike bug!!! Cheesy

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Re: Hello all!
Reply #1 - 06/02/09 at 03:19:31

Welcome aboard! As a Newbie, an MSF Course would help with ironing out most of the trepidation you might be experiencing executing certain manoeuvers ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
LawDawg77
YaBB Newbies

Thumpin' tha
Thumper!

Mississippi
Reply #2 - 06/02/09 at 03:27:38

I do plan on taking the course when it comes up again in my town. Also have a really newbie question... I have ordered an owners manual but it is a few days away, at best.. How do I check the oil on my bike and when do I know I have enough?

Thanks!

IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #3 - 06/02/09 at 05:11:25

LawDawg77 wrote on 06/02/09 at 03:27:38:
I do plan on taking the course when it comes up again in my town. Also have a really newbie question... I have ordered an owners manual but it is a few days away, at best.. How do I check the oil on my bike and when do I know I have enough?

Thanks!

Welcome!  Hopefully this picture will be good enough for you to have some idea what I'm talking about. Grin
On the right hand side of the engine (if you were sitting on it, near your right foot) toward the lower rear of the engine, is a small round sight glass.  This shows you the level of the oil in the engine.  There are two lines etched into the metal of the engine case.  The oil level should be between the upper and lower lines.  In the pic, you can see part of the sight glass just below the bulge in the engine case, and above and to the right of the exhaust splice.  If you need to add oil, the fill plug is on the same side of the engine, toward the front of the bike.  
Hope this makes sense, and helps! Cheesy

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #4 - 06/02/09 at 05:15:13

Welcome aboard!

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
Joshua
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 06/02/09 at 06:53:37

Welcome.

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #6 - 06/02/09 at 09:29:40

i know exactly what u mean! i wanted a bike, then my friend took me for a ride and i HAD TO HAVE ONE!!!

the course is awesome, u'll love it! and i learned that cornering is like everything else physical...do it, do it, do it again and again and before u know it IT JUST DOES!! yeah i quoted joe dirt! lol

and you'll find everything u need 2 know on this site, trust me! Grin

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #7 - 06/02/09 at 09:51:56

Huzzah and welcome! That little window down there on the rightside case ain't just for hanging curtains! Cheesy

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #8 - 06/02/09 at 12:33:17

John_D FSO wrote on 06/02/09 at 05:11:25:
LawDawg77 wrote on 06/02/09 at 03:27:38:

Thanks!

Welcome!  Hopefully this picture will be good enough for you to have some idea what I'm talking about. Grin
On the right hand side of the engine (if you were sitting on it, near your right foot) toward the lower rear of the engine, is a small round sight glass.  This shows you the level of the oil in the engine.  There are two lines etched into the metal of the engine case.  The oil level should be between the upper and lower lines.  In the pic, you can see part of the sight glass just below the bulge in the engine case, and above and to the right of the exhaust splice.  If you need to add oil, the fill plug is on the same side of the engine, toward the front of the bike.  
Hope this makes sense, and helps! Cheesy
http://i626.photobucket.com/albums/tt347/redneck72102/Bike%20Pics/Bike%20Mods...

When checking the oil, be sure to have the bike standing upright, not on the stand or you will get a false reading and you will end up adding too much oil.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #9 - 06/02/09 at 13:44:49

Here are three resources that are very valuable to a new rider...and many not so new.
Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well
Motorcycle Tips & Techniques
The Boomer Bike

IP Logged
LawDawg77
YaBB Newbies

Thumpin' tha
Thumper!

Mississippi
Reply #10 - 06/02/09 at 14:14:04

Thanks for the pic John_D. I found the little window and the level is fine. I went riding today, I passed my permit test with 100! I'm getting better and can't wait for my class.  It looks like storms so I guess it's garage time for the bike..  :'(

Thanks for all the welcomes and tips!

IP Logged
DavetheDog
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Richmond, VA
Reply #11 - 06/02/09 at 14:20:04

Welcome!

IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #12 - 06/02/09 at 15:04:14

Welcome Lawdawg77. Congrats on passing!!!

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 06/02/09 at 15:10:56

Pretty soon she will be bragging about wheelies and stoppies and such.
I always like to see ladies that ride their own.
Cool

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #14 - 06/02/09 at 22:03:04

Congrats on the great grade, and you're welcome for the pic.

And thanks Yonuh for pointing out the need to have the bike up off the stand.  Like so many things I do out of habit, when I try to explain it to someone, I forget about half the steps! Roll Eyes

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 05:30:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Hello all!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.