Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
? on helmet differences (Read 477 times)
PTRider

Re: ? on helmet differences
Reply #15 - 06/03/09 at 09:39:45

Here's the new 2008 British SHARP (Safety Helmet Assessment and Rating Programme) helmet listing
http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/

Note that some brands sold in the US are not sold in the UK and therefor not listed, or some brands may put different names on the same models in different markets and they aren't listed under the US model name.

£1 = $1.65  (One British pound sterling = a dollar sixty-five)

So...I'd choose a helmet that meets DOT* and had five or four stars in the SHARP rating, that is an excellent snug fit, has a removable washable liner, and great ventilation.  Bright color so drivers have less chance of doing something stupid and hitting you.  Full face for protection (or 100% lock-down SHARP rated flip-up).  (*And every helmet legally sold in the US must meet the DOT rating.)

IP Logged
False Illusion

Two digits down as
we're passin'!

Dayton/Southwest Ohio
Reply #16 - 06/03/09 at 15:09:52

3rd set of LED accent lights came in today so i'm puttin them up 2nite after sparring, and of course i'll put pics up!!

Rocco...I've been lookin' into LEDs for my bike...I'd love to see your bike lit up, man...

Black '07 Boulevard S40 w/ OEM Saddlebags, Windshield, Guard, SissyBar,and Rack. Schwinn Bicycle Computer, Highway Pegs by Thumperclone, Time Piece ala the $ store...and a $5 cooler from WalMart Wink
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #17 - 06/03/09 at 20:27:53

it was so hard to get a pic of it, i just got the camera and haven't figured out how to take night pics without flash! i even tried covering the flash with my finger! lol

they look so much better in person(they're purple btw not blue...darn camera! lol)

i bought the "pods" from cycle gear and they were kind of a pain but not too bad to install. they glow around me too as i ride, i wanted to increase visibility on the sides and i think this did the trick!!!

i def recommend them 2 all!!

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #18 - 06/04/09 at 02:27:25

alcoa wrote on 06/03/09 at 07:21:06:
go on the net look up gmax helmets they have leds red lights in the back of the helmet that stay on or flash and you can shut them off. about $120.00 Wink

There's also the option of one of these.  I considered one when my schedule had me riding to work at 10pm, but it's since changed to where I'm in the daylight a little more.  Still thinking about getting one though.

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=5000&L2=1&L3=107&L4=&item=BUZ_1044081

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #19 - 06/04/09 at 08:41:27

yeah i was looking @ those too! i just didn't want to have a sticky thing on my helmet after it was done. how much are they cuz i might get one for me and one for her.

better safe then sorry when it comes to keeping your skin on!! lol my roadrash isn't bad from what i've seen!!!!!

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #20 - 06/04/09 at 13:27:21

Rocco wrote on 06/04/09 at 08:41:27:
yeah i was looking @ those too! i just didn't want to have a sticky thing on my helmet after it was done. how much are they cuz i might get one for me and one for her.

better safe then sorry when it comes to keeping your skin on!! lol my roadrash isn't bad from what i've seen!!!!!

Pretty cheap, $10.  The sticky is a disadvantage, but from taking the sticker off my gas tank I know one of those little alcohol wipes from a firstaid kit takes the sticky off pretty good.  Another disadvantage is it seems to be motion activated, no on/off.  So if you're just moving your helmet around the house, you'd be lighting up! Cool

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #21 - 06/04/09 at 16:34:00

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/03/09 at 01:14:15:
Gloves, dont forget gloves..
complete coverage footwear, cover that ankle bone.
Someone posted some pics of a gal who got blown off her B/F's crotch rocket at high speed. The skin grafts looked like hell.

You definately want to protect that gal, she's gorgeous!
Justin's right about full gear. The girl he's refeerring to is known online as the "roadrash queen". She has a website. Scary pics. You can die from road rash, if enough of your skin comes off. It's just like having a burn over the same area. Lose enough skin, you can't keep fluids in or infections out. ATGATT.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #22 - 06/04/09 at 18:49:10

yeah, i carry my helmet with me so the battery might die sooner then expected!

and i def want her to enjoy herself AND be safe! thank u! not sure how i got her! but i did! she's the first girl i've had that isn't a psycho, oh and i've had some crazy ones!

i'm thinking the halo for hers as well as the little sticky light!

IP Logged
False Illusion

Two digits down as
we're passin'!

Dayton/Southwest Ohio
Reply #23 - 06/04/09 at 18:54:52

Rocco wrote on 06/03/09 at 20:27:53:
http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/110/l_38dba6ea9d29472c96f4bcd8de6...

it was so hard to get a pic of it, i just got the camera and haven't figured out how to take night pics without flash! i even tried covering the flash with my finger! lol

they look so much better in person(they're purple btw not blue...darn camera! lol)

i bought the "pods" from cycle gear and they were kind of a pain but not too bad to install. they glow around me too as i ride, i wanted to increase visibility on the sides and i think this did the trick!!!

Sweet...yep..I'm a bit closer now to installing them on my ride...thanks, Rocco Wink

Black '07 Boulevard S40 w/ OEM Saddlebags, Windshield, Guard, SissyBar,and Rack. Schwinn Bicycle Computer, Highway Pegs by Thumperclone, Time Piece ala the $ store...and a $5 cooler from WalMart Wink
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #24 - 06/04/09 at 18:59:27

False Illusion wrote on 06/04/09 at 18:54:52:
Rocco wrote on 06/03/09 at 20:27:53:
http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/110/l_38dba6ea9d29472c96f4bcd8de6...

Sweet...yep..I'm a bit closer now to installing them on my ride...thanks, Rocco Wink

they have a bunch of colors and they look awesome! i see them on alot of sport bikes but a chopper had green ones and that's when i knew i had 2 have them! glad i could help brotha!!!

IP Logged
Scottler

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Saratoga County, NY
Reply #25 - 06/05/09 at 19:57:44

For those of you who don't want to stick the battery powered LED's on the back of your helmet, what about some reflective tape?  It wouldn't solve the sticky problem, but it would fix the battery issue.  My helmet is yellow (which I actually don't like, and I want a black one), but when I do finally get off my sofa to go get it, I'm going to throw some tape around the edges.

IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #26 - 06/05/09 at 20:01:01

They have reflective tape that looks black until light hits it. That is what I'm planning on getting.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 06/05/09 at 20:18:42

I put a square of 3M  reflective tape on the back of my helment and my wife's. The tape was about 2 inches wide and the square was six inches on a side. At 100 yards it was as bright as a 3 cell flashlight. Way brighter than her brake light (and that was reflected light). If memory serves it was 25 foot rolls for about 25.00. very tight bond!

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #28 - 06/05/09 at 21:48:07

u can't beat that with a stick! maybe i'll wrap her completely with the extra tape! lol

seriously though, it's barely safe during the day, let alone @ night!

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #29 - 06/06/09 at 01:55:06

Rocco,where did you get the lights? and were they hard to put on? I always wanted Blue,just like it looks in the picture!

(although I realize yours are really purple)

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 13:26:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › ? on helmet differences

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.