Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Backfiring, poor gas mileage, slew of other things (Read 424 times)
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Re: Backfiring, poor gas mileage, slew of other th
Reply #15 - 06/01/09 at 13:33:09

Pirate, assuming you've checked the basics like airbox for varmint, carb vent hose, etc,, get these items:

1. a good sized syringe- you don't need the needle
2. can of seafoam
3. a small cup or tubing for draining carb bowl
4. some rags
5. phillips screwdriver
6. fresh tank of gas

And do this:
1.  make sure your petcock is set to on or reserve.  
2.  put your small cup and rags underneath the carb/hose on-under the carb drain.
3.  use the screwdriver to open the carb drain; when empty, tighten the screw back.
4.  fill the syringe full of seafoam.
5.  pull the fuel hose from the petcock (not the carb side).  
6.  squirt seafoam into the hose to fill up the carb bowl.  Repeat with syringe until full.  
7.  Reconnect fuel hose.
8.  Start the bike and let it idle for one minute.  
9.  Go for a 5 minute ride.
10.  If the bike is not running better after the 5 minute ride, repeat the process again.  

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #16 - 06/01/09 at 14:00:08

Easy way to get Sea Foam in fuel bowl is to take off fuel bowl and put the Sea Foam in fuel bowl then put the fuel bowl back on.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #17 - 06/01/09 at 14:01:24

Wally world has a big syringe for mixing 2 stroke oil and the such.
Check the RV dept.  Just pump it in thru the drain and a little thru the inlet.

And someone (guess who) said leave the seafoam in overnight.

And And someone/else said the bike doesn't run well on seafoam.  So dump the carb in the morning and pour it into the tank to mix in with the gas.  Set on prime to fill up the carb and start.

WWW   IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #18 - 06/01/09 at 14:07:46

BurnPgh: I live in Aspinwall, not two hundred yards from the north side of the Highland Park Bridge, but I work in Monroevill/Penn Hills at Vocollect right off Rodi Rd.

If half a six of pabst is all it takes, and you don't me riding to your place (or you to mine, though I don't have a garage) we've got us a deal.

Diamond Jim:
Airbox has a nice new (under 1K miles) K&N filter I cleaned right before I started riding this spring.

I'm assuming the whole syringe/fuel hose procedure is just to get a concentrated (or pure) solution of seafoam in the carb, which can be done.

All: I'm going out and about to round up supplies for this endeavor (kinda new to the whole DIY mechanic stuff...) and hopefully try the easier stuff tonight and the harder stuff this weekend, as again, I can't afford to have a non-running bike even for a day.

I'm going to hit up some auto-places close by to see if i can get a can of Seafoam, anyone know any chains that have a good chance of carrying it? The shop I trust with my bike is almost an hour ride one way....

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #19 - 06/01/09 at 14:26:05

wally world and autozone

WWW   IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #20 - 06/01/09 at 15:07:58

Interesting coincidence that you started having problems right about the same time you cleaned that K&N air filter. I wonder what would happen if you were to remove the filter and try a short ride. Poor mileage and refusal to run with the choke pulled sounds like the thing might be rich - just what might happen if there were some sort of problem with the air filter. And unlike what would happen if the carburetor were clogged, unless the float got damaged and is causing the fuel level to be high. If you still have your stock air filter you could try putting it back in to see what happens.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #21 - 06/01/09 at 16:16:37

Just picked up some seafoam at Advance autoparts (closest auto parts store to where I live) for a staggering $9 a bottle. little more expensive than the $4 I was expecting.

I don't have my stock filter anymore, but I took out my K&N and took it around the block a few times. The backfiring was almost all gone, still there though. Strange because I got my K&N middle of last season, and didn't have this problem till now. When I cleaned it I used the cleaner and oil the manual said I should and followed the directions to a T, so I'm not sure what went wrong. I guess I'll clean the filter again and see what happens.

As for the seafoam, I'll add about half a bottle next time I fill up and see if that helps much, but it seems pretty sure that the air filter is a big part of the problem here.

--
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #22 - 06/01/09 at 17:22:39

Put some Sea Foam before you fill up it will be a stronger mix And you only need a couple oz.s

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #23 - 06/01/09 at 17:30:34

You got to let the k&n juice dry completely.
You probably gummed up the slide.

WWW   IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 06/01/09 at 22:07:07

grab a can of carb cleaner next time you're out. And Pm me your address. I work until saturday but if you're free saturday I'll drop by. Maybe Luke (Ineclipse) will come aswell to drink and BS.

IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Reply #25 - 06/02/09 at 15:18:12

I BELIEVE your SPARKPLUG got "mineralized"
(deposits) during winter storage; all your problems
could be all as simple as a $2 new spark plug fix.

...Fresh gas & a carb-cleaning can't hurt.
Good luck!

LOOK HERE  Wink
http://www.aa1car.com/library/reading_spark_plugs.jpg
http://dirtbike.off-road.com/dirtbike/data/articlestandard/dirtbike/232006/33...

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
ineclipse

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 06/03/09 at 14:14:08

We best git our'sels some perogies if we gunna be wrencin' n'at! I would love to but I'm leaving tomorrow. Coming back next week, though. Hope to catch up with yinz feller yinzers after da god lovin' pen-gins win dat dare stanley cup!
But seriously, love to help out if I ever can. Do you have a stock exhaust? My backfiring issues were all do to exhaust leaks. That could be a lot of little things, or one or two big ones. BurnPGH will certainly help you out though, I think hes a great bet for anyone in need.
Good luck.
-Luke.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #27 - 06/04/09 at 05:47:54

Did the air filter turn out to be the problem? Did the Seafoam help? Don't leave us in suspense.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #28 - 06/04/09 at 06:10:01

I added the seafoam Tuesday evening, but yesterday (wednesday) was raining so I wasn't able to tell if the seafoam helped all that much.

I haven't cleaned the filter yet, I'm going to take some time with it and clean it properly this weekend. However, when I took it out, the bike did start up and run much cleaner, so I'm hoping with a freshly cleaned filter it will have the same effect.

Hopefully by saturday evening I'll be able to tell you all is well with my engine. Thanks to everyone for the help, it is really appreciated as I have little to no clue what I'm doing, and it is nice to know that savage/s40 riders take care of their own.

--
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #29 - 07/02/09 at 19:12:55

spacepirates wrote on 06/01/09 at 06:11:18:
I've had my savage for about two years now, and after I brought it out of storage this spring I've had some trouble with it.

The exhaust smells extremely oily, the bike backfires almost every time I roll off the throttle, the bike won't start below 50 degrees, the bike won't start with the choke on, the bike has trouble with any speed above 70mph, and I'm getting less than 35 mpg.

I think the problem is the fuel mixture, but to my understanding to change that I'll need to drill out the brass plug for the carb, and that make me rather nervous.

the problem here is that my savage is my only means of transportation, and I use it everyday (regardless of weather) to get to and from work. So I can't really screw things up and have it out of commission.

any advice? should I just go for it and try to adjust the carbs myself? should I take it to a dealer over a weekend and have them tune it up (it is up for inspection soon...)?

Thanks!

Space,

If nothing else has helped you yet, you may want to check to petcock for proper operation.

IHTH!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 04:26:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Backfiring, poor gas mileage, slew of other things

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.