Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Backfiring, poor gas mileage, slew of other things (Read 424 times)
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Backfiring, poor gas mileage, slew of other things
06/01/09 at 06:11:18

I've had my savage for about two years now, and after I brought it out of storage this spring I've had some trouble with it.

The exhaust smells extremely oily, the bike backfires almost every time I roll off the throttle, the bike won't start below 50 degrees, the bike won't start with the choke on, the bike has trouble with any speed above 70mph, and I'm getting less than 35 mpg.

I think the problem is the fuel mixture, but to my understanding to change that I'll need to drill out the brass plug for the carb, and that make me rather nervous.

the problem here is that my savage is my only means of transportation, and I use it everyday (regardless of weather) to get to and from work. So I can't really screw things up and have it out of commission.

any advice? should I just go for it and try to adjust the carbs myself? should I take it to a dealer over a weekend and have them tune it up (it is up for inspection soon...)?

Thanks!

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Backfiring, poor gas mileage, slew of other th
Reply #1 - 06/01/09 at 06:15:35

Put some Sea-Foam in your gas It might fix it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #2 - 06/01/09 at 06:23:00

thanks, i'll have to pick some up when I get it inspected this weekend.

--
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #3 - 06/01/09 at 06:39:02

The Seafoam is unlikely to help. What will do the job is the fresh gasoline you put in the tank along with it. That fresh gas will flush the carburetor as it runs through. If the bike runs better, you'll give credit to the Seafoam. If not, you'll just think the carburetor was too dirty. Kind of like prayer - if your prayer is answered God gets the credit. If your prayer isn't answered, you take the blame for not believing fervently enough.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #4 - 06/01/09 at 07:44:36

while you may (or may not) have a point about the seafoam, i've had about half a dozen new tanks of gas in my bike with no change. Even tried premium for two of them in a row to see if that would help (it didn't)...

I'm thinking tonight i'll take out the spark plug to see if it is fouled up, and if it is clean it, but i don't think a bad spark plug would cause all this.

--
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #5 - 06/01/09 at 08:06:08

The Sea Foam is the answer.Works 99.9 percent of the time.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #6 - 06/01/09 at 08:12:11

You can always try Seafoam, or any of a dozen other miracle additives. It might work, and at least probably will do no harm. I suggest you Google "seafoam msds" and find out what you are actually getting. I point out that, by Federal rule, ALL gasoline is required to have a cleaning agent added to it, to keep carburetors, injectors, and intake valves clean.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #7 - 06/01/09 at 08:19:16

Charon when is the last time you used Sea Foam.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
savagedml

Paid Alliance
Membership (07/09)

Portsmouth, VA
Reply #8 - 06/01/09 at 08:33:14

Space:
If the bike was running fine before storage but not now, sounds like a fuel/firing problem which could be explained by a fouled plug, or a gunked up carb. Unless you did a muffler mod or air intake mod, the idle mix screw would not all of a sudden need to be adjusted. (Although the Savage does come from the factory White-spacer mod ready!). As far as drilling out the brass plug, BELIEVE ME it is a very simple mod, and I heard even a teacher can do it! Try the SeaFoam to get it back to its previous performance level, then jump on that White Spacer mod to make it even better. Changing the spark plug is no biggie either, but if you haven't already you'll want to do the Spark plug door mod as well to make it easier to change. Check the Index of the Tech/Reference section for instructions on how to do these mods.
Good Luck, and Go For It!!! Smiley
DML  (the above referenced teacher Wink )

Paid Alliance Membership (07/09)
"Let's roll!"
WWW funluvncareertech   IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #9 - 06/01/09 at 09:22:39

I'd dump the gas for fresh, change the plug and try the seafoam. Most likely gunked up from sitting so long

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #10 - 06/01/09 at 11:48:52

bill67: As I have said before in other threads, I have never used Seafoam. I have never needed it. I have looked up the ingredients. There in nothing in it that I can see which would make any difference. I don't remember saying it doesn't work, but I have said I don't believe it works. If I wanted to clean a carburetor, or other fuel system, I'd look for a solvent, not an oil. Remember that gasoline is a pretty powerful solvent all by itself, and if it has ethanol in it, ethanol is another pretty powerful solvent. You are going to have a tough time finding solvents more powerful which will not damage the very system you are trying to clean. You are free to believe Seafoam works, and espouse its use. I am equally free to believe differently.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Duane

Creatively
Maladjusted

Terra Plane
Reply #11 - 06/01/09 at 12:00:47

Maybe we need to all write in E-prime on this forum now.  Grin

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. JFK

WWW duanedaringer   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #12 - 06/01/09 at 12:06:41

Don't use Clark gas in your S40 its bad for it,How do I know I don't I never tried it. Grin

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #13 - 06/01/09 at 12:34:04

Well, like i said, I've had about 6 fresh/new tanks of gas in the bike, two of which were premium grade.

as for the seafoam, i'm finding about 60% of people love it and think it works miracles and the rest think it is bogus. however, at a couple bucks a bottle, and no consequences of trying it, I think that will be my first move before I try and pull apart my carb and muck around inside it.

Up here in the 'Burgh, we don't have Clark gas stations, so no worries about that. I typically use Shell or Sunoco when I can (but i'm not looking for wars here about what gas is better than what) but I'll use whatever if I'm in a pinch (in the middle of no where and been on the reserve for a dozen miles or so...).

--
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 06/01/09 at 13:28:39

whur y'at? Split a 6 pack of pabst pounders with me and i'll clean the carb myself. Unless it super super bad I'll have it out cleaned and reinstalled in little more than an hour. Im practically pro at it now after rejetting. I live in Penn Hills. Ineclipse lives in Polish Hill. Once his collar bone heals up we can all ride together. Also...check your airbox and make sure nothing crawled in and nested in there while you had it in storage.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 02:11:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Backfiring, poor gas mileage, slew of other things

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.