Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
bike shuts off while riding? (Read 287 times)
aceshigh92
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: bike shuts off while riding?
Reply #15 - 06/03/09 at 10:13:22

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 06/02/09 at 10:06:37:
Bet you notice it most the first few miles of riding.    

Reason,  the bike design is a bit old school and the combination of a slightly cool engine and just a little rich condition at a quick roll off the throttle will make the RPM's dip to the point of stalling.  

Solutions:
1) easiest, as Justin had said, Raise the idle....  With the engine at operating temp (10-15 minutes of riding), set the idle to 1200.........  if you don't have a tach get a shop to set it.  Optionally if you don't have a tach  .... record the sound after the shop sets it  so that you can re-adjust it later by comparing the bike to the recording.

2) Roll off the throttle slower.  Hard to do on cool days and having to stop quickly...

when it shuts off it usually doesnt want to turn back on. could this have to do with it too?

IP Logged
aceshigh92
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 06/03/09 at 10:16:09

Duane wrote on 06/02/09 at 08:49:47:
I would check the idle, maybe it needs bumped up a little. My bike had a similar problem on decel and I just turned up the idle a tad and the problem went away.

another thing what do you mean by check the idle?

IP Logged
Duane

Creatively
Maladjusted

Terra Plane
Reply #17 - 06/03/09 at 10:24:26

aceshigh92 wrote on 06/03/09 at 10:16:09:
Duane wrote on 06/02/09 at 08:49:47:
I would check the idle, maybe it needs bumped up a little. My bike had a similar problem on decel and I just turned up the idle a tad and the problem went away.

another thing what do you mean by check the idle?

See if turning it up a little helps if you don't have access to a tach to check it.

After reading your post about not wanting to re-start I'm thinking it may be something else.

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. JFK

WWW duanedaringer   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #18 - 06/04/09 at 07:39:10

Might be the kick stand safety switch. I was having a problem with my bike shutting off when riding. Ended up that I was bumping the kickstand with my heel which made that stupid safety switch shut off the engine. If the switch is starting to fail then the bike will shut off for no reason. The switch is pretty easy to bypass, just cut the wires to it and connect them together.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #19 - 06/05/09 at 09:29:07

i guess petcock. if it does it when your riding then shuts off, there is more than likely some kind of crud clogging up the screen in your tank. also, being that its hard to restart, doubles my belief. it's very simple to remove and check, but pricey if you want a new stock one.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
aceshigh92
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 06/07/09 at 18:07:31

cool i will check things out and see whats up
thanks

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 03:26:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › bike shuts off while riding?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.