Send Topic Print
battery (Read 101 times)
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
battery
05/31/09 at 10:58:14

My battery is low ,should I refill it with acid or distilled water .What is best?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: battery
Reply #1 - 05/31/09 at 11:17:25

distilled H2O

WWW   IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #2 - 05/31/09 at 11:59:17

Why do you think it's better to use distilled water than battery acid?

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #3 - 05/31/09 at 12:01:00

I've never heard of putting Battery acid in an up and running battery.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #4 - 05/31/09 at 12:08:38

bill67 wrote on 05/31/09 at 12:01:00:
I've never heard of putting Battery acid in an up and running battery.

I don't know if he does anymore, but Dad used to add acid to his, depending on what the pH on the battery tester (hygrometer?) said.  I don't think you can even get into a lot of newer batteries, but he's got a lot of old 6v's on old tractors that you can.

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #5 - 05/31/09 at 12:14:04

I bought some battery acid .I thought it might be best to use .Do you think it could actually be counterproductive to an up and running battery? Also I have a 20 year old 1 amp trickle charger that I think works fine .I know new ones are cheap but I hate to thow this one out it looks like new .How can you test them and how long should you charge a battery with a one amp trickle charger? Thanks

IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #6 - 05/31/09 at 12:25:26

Whether or not you add acid or water depends entirely on the pH level of the battery.  Check an auto parts store.  Even in this day of maintenance free batterys you can still get one at NAPA's website for less than $2.  The ones I've seen are similar to antifreeze testers: a tube with a squeeze bulb to suck up the fluid in the battery.
http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=470&LineCode=BK&P...

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #7 - 05/31/09 at 12:35:03

So what do you do ,if the ph is low like 1 or two balls ,you add acid and if its 4 you just add distilled water ? Can it cause a problem if you add acid and it has 4 balls? I think the acid I bought is like 65% dsitilled water .

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #8 - 05/31/09 at 13:15:30

The electrolyte in the battery is a mixture of distilled water and sulphuric acid. The sulphuric acid takes part in the reaction in the battery in such a way that, as the battery discharges, the acid becomes more dilute (the sulphate ends up on both the positive and the negative plates). A fully-charged battery has a more concentrated solution of acid. As the battery reaches full charge, part of the water is dissociated into hydrogen and oxygen. This mixture is explosive. It bubbles up through the acid, giving the appearance of boiling. The acid becomes more concentrated as the water departs, and of course the electrolyte level drops. You need to replenish the water, not the acid (unless there has been a spill), so add water, not acid. The reason for using distilled water instead of tap water is because of the minerals usually dissolved in tap water, which can contaminate the battery.

By the way, those battery testers do not measure pH. They measure specific gravity. Sulphuric acid is heavier than water. The acid solution becomes more concentrated as the battery charges, so the specific gravity of the mixture increases. In short, the more fully charged the battery, the heavier the electrolyte and the more balls float.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #9 - 05/31/09 at 13:29:21

Thanks for the in depth explanation Charon, much better than my stumbling account. Grin  Been ages since I've actually messed with one.

As to whether to add acid or water depending on the amount of balls floating, I imagine that the tester has a guide that either came with it, or is on the side of the tester itself.  As Charon stated, most likely just water will be all that's needed.

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #10 - 05/31/09 at 13:30:38

Charon wrote on 05/31/09 at 13:15:30:
The electrolyte in the battery is a mixture of distilled water and sulphuric acid. The sulphuric acid takes part in the reaction in the battery in such a way that, as the battery discharges, the acid becomes more dilute (the sulphate ends up on both the positive and the negative plates). A fully-charged battery has a more concentrated solution of acid. As the battery reaches full charge, part of the water is dissociated into hydrogen and oxygen. This mixture is explosive. It bubbles up through the acid, giving the appearance of boiling. The acid becomes more concentrated as the water departs, and of course the electrolyte level drops. You need to replenish the water, not the acid (unless there has been a spill), so add water, not acid. The reason for using distilled water instead of tap water is because of the minerals usually dissolved in tap water, which can contaminate the battery.

By the way, those battery testers do not measure pH. They measure specific gravity. Sulphuric acid is heavier than water. The acid solution becomes more concentrated as the battery charges, so the specific gravity of the mixture increases. In short, the more fully charged the battery, the heavier the electrolyte and the more balls float.

Thanks,I returned the battery acid and bought some distilled water .

IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #11 - 05/31/09 at 13:56:37

two words " Big Crank"

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 05/31/09 at 17:55:35

Distilled water is for the battery, distilled ethanol is for you.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #13 - 05/31/09 at 19:18:35

Phelonius wrote on 05/31/09 at 17:55:35:
Distilled water is for the battery, distilled ethanol is for you.

Phelonius

Words to live by! Wink

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 08:27:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › battery

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!