Send Topic Print
rectifier (Read 199 times)
SAVAGESOLDIER

Couldn't think of
nothin' cool....

Roscommon, Mi
rectifier
05/29/09 at 18:57:32

does it matter if its fins up or fins down i bobbed my 96 and i just hid the darn thing under the seat but i wanna make sure its not gonna hurt it i put it fins down under the seat is that ok?

william_villella@yahoo.com   IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Re: rectifier
Reply #1 - 05/29/09 at 18:59:42

I would think that as long as you can get airflow around the fins it should be okay, but others will know more about it than I do.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 05/29/09 at 20:55:20

There are a number of places to put it.
the back side of the battery box, or any side for that matter.

WWW   IP Logged
kevinphan

Dracut, Massachusetts
Reply #3 - 05/30/09 at 00:34:21

I routed it down to the bottom of the frame where there is 4 holes. I'll try to snap some pics tomorrow, you need to splice and lengthen 2 wires.

WWW diverseclothing   IP Logged
SAVAGESOLDIER

Couldn't think of
nothin' cool....

Roscommon, Mi
Reply #4 - 05/30/09 at 05:28:19

i stuck it under the seat i kinda stuffed it in there is that ok?

william_villella@yahoo.com   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 05/30/09 at 05:50:16

You need cooling air flow unless you can arrange a good heat sink condition to some air cooled sheet metal.  

The rectifier/regulator operates with a bridge to turn the full flow of AC from the alternator into full wave DC.  Then the regulator part of the circuity checks the voltage level of the system (which is a combo of total current load from lights, ect AND THE BATTERY'S CURRENT CHARGE LEVEL) and it regulates the system by shunting over voltage/amperage into a large resistor which is attached to the cooling fins.

A permanent magnet alternator/rectifier/regulator system works backwards to what you would think heat-wise.  A fully charged battery with low light loads wastes away more juice to the resistor causing the fins to run hotter.   An uncharged battery runs cooler fins because juice is going to recharge the battery and is not being wasted away by throwing it at the resistor.

When you a cruising the highway after 30 mins of getting the battery totally up to snuff then your R/R fins are as hot as they get as just about all the juice is getting frittered away and you are a max RPM making the most possible juice off the alternator.

Put the thing where it can get some air or heat sink it to some sheet metal, please.  The existing position uses the rear fender as a heat sink, so if you can duplicate that under the seat that might be OK, but otherwise you need some air flow to get rid of the heat.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
kevinphan

Dracut, Massachusetts
Reply #6 - 05/31/09 at 00:39:13

Bad picture but it's a good spot to relocate it.

verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 05/31/09 at 07:37:07

And I thought you were doing those beautiful narrow depth of field shots on purpose.  And this is a lovely shot too but very ugly for the purpose.
You got to narrow down your aperchure and widen you depth of field.
go to it boy!

WWW   IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 05/31/09 at 17:10:28

verslagen1 wrote on 05/31/09 at 07:37:07:
And I thought you were doing those beautiful narrow depth of field shots on purpose.  And this is a lovely shot too but very ugly for the purpose.
go to it boy!

Doesn't narrowing down aperture create more depth?Widening the aperture (smaller fstop) would reduce depth but widen the field. Smaller aperture=more narrow hole where light enters thus a more narrow image, but more depth? I could be wrong though. Oh! I would really like to see where in the bleepers you put that thing. Maybe a shot of the surrounding parts.

IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #9 - 05/31/09 at 17:32:15

It looks like he put it where the California emissions crap goes. That flat spot on the muffler mount.

-D. Dwarf

Pearl White 2007 S40; Dyna exhaust; Current jets: 52.5 w/ bleed (2 turns out) / 1.5mm (0.06") spacer / 150; raptor petcock
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #10 - 05/31/09 at 19:25:35

kevinphan wrote on 05/30/09 at 00:34:21:
I routed it down to the bottom of the frame where there is 4 holes. I'll try to snap some pics tomorrow, you need to splice and lengthen 2 wires.

I used the Cali. emissions brackets to mount my BHM (big honkin' magnet), for helping trigger stoplights.  Doesn't work all the time, but definitely helps.  You can see the rear two ears of the mount in the pic.

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
kevinphan

Dracut, Massachusetts
Reply #11 - 05/31/09 at 21:07:01

odvelasc wrote on 05/31/09 at 17:10:28:
verslagen1 wrote on 05/31/09 at 07:37:07:
go to it boy!

Doesn't narrowing down aperture create more depth?Widening the aperture (smaller fstop) would reduce depth but widen the field. Smaller aperture=more narrow hole where light enters thus a more narrow image, but more depth? I could be wrong though. Oh! I would really like to see where in the bleepers you put that thing. Maybe a shot of the surrounding parts.

Opening your aperture will let more light in and there will be less in focus, where as closing your aperture it will be darker and more would be in focus.

I shot wide open at f/3.5 1/15 200ISO? I'll try to get a better shot but it's where he mounted the magnet.

verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 05/31/09 at 21:56:25

kevinphan wrote on 05/31/09 at 21:07:01:

Opening your aperture will let more light in and there will be less in focus, where as closing your aperture it will be darker and more would be in focus.

I shot wide open at f/3.5 1/15 200ISO? I'll try to get a better shot but it's where he mounted the magnet.

I took photography before it went digital and before point and shoot cameras were in everybodies pocket.
The old SLR lenses had a scale on them that told you what the depth of field would be.  An f3.5 was a big hole in the paper and a narrow depth of field.  An f11 was a tiny little pin prick and almost infinite depth of field.

WWW   IP Logged
kevinphan

Dracut, Massachusetts
Reply #13 - 05/31/09 at 22:02:43

verslagen1 wrote on 05/31/09 at 21:56:25:

I took photography before it went digital and before point and shoot cameras were in everybodies pocket.
The old SLR lenses had a scale on them that told you what the depth of field would be.  An f3.5 was a big hole in the paper and a narrow depth of field.  An f11 was a tiny little pin prick and almost infinite depth of field.

Yes, 1.8 would give you very shallow DOF. F/11 is usually the sharpest focal point of many lenses.

odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 06/01/09 at 04:10:16

kevinphan wrote on 05/31/09 at 22:02:43:
verslagen1 wrote on 05/31/09 at 21:56:25:

Yes, 1.8 would give you very shallow DOF. F/11 is usually the sharpest focal point of many lenses.

so you will be taking the next pic with a higher number ftstop right? I have an old SLR (1965 Argus Cosina). I played around with it a few times a number of years go. Much more beautiful pictures with that than any digital camera I have a used and I have an 8 MP 8xoptical zoom sony. I am thinking if getting back into that camera on my Savage day trips this summer. Sorry for the hijack, thanks for the info guys.  Cool

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/14/24 at 15:20:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › rectifier

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.