Send Topic Print
My new shiny muffler (Read 306 times)
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
My new shiny muffler
05/29/09 at 18:08:12

Just picked these up today at Latus H-D's version of a second hand store.  That place is awesome!  Odds-n-ends stacked on shelves everywhere, definitely going back. Smiley
Anyway, my new (used) bling:
Not H-D, at least doesn't have there name on it, and really, doesn't all there stuff?  It is baffled to the extent that I can't actually see through it.  Any thoughts on whether I'll have to rejet, or just tweak the white spacer? Undecided

Oh, and the best part?  $10, plus $3 for the extra clamp.  Score! Smiley

Has a little road rash on the bottom, but shouldn't be able to see much of it once it's on:

« Last Edit: 05/30/09 at 15:17:21 by John_D FSO »  

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: My new shiny shiny!
Reply #1 - 05/29/09 at 18:14:05

If you can see through it, my bet is that you will NEED to rejet.

IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #2 - 05/29/09 at 18:29:40

LANCER wrote on 05/29/09 at 18:14:05:
If you can see through it, my bet is that you will NEED to rejet.

That was my thinking too, which was why I specifically looked for one that wasn't a straight through design.  Plus my ears will probably thank me for that too.

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #3 - 05/29/09 at 18:35:48

Is there just the one clamp holding the stock lower heat shield (at the junction of muffler/header) on?  I don't wanna start putting too much muscle into it if something else is holding it on, but looking at the Clymers, that's it.  I really want to get the muffler off without taking the whole header loose and replacing the gasket and all.

Edit:  Bah, curse my impatience; went ahead and took the whole shebang off.  If it doesn't seal up tight, I'll just have to order a new gasket and suffer through this wonderful weather with no bike. :'(

Anyway, got it all apart, and both the brackets on the new muff would work on the stock bracket and spacing would be fine with the header.  Unfortunately, the angle would not.  So just going to use one hole (no double entendre there, get yer mind outta the gutter! Shocked) in the bracket, and get the fancy 7° adapter piece at the muff shop in the morning.  Why oh why is there no 24 hour muff shop for us graveyard shift types?! Angry
Not sure whether or not to reuse the stock heat shield.  The shop I got the muff at had a ton of H-D shields just begging to be chopped up for a more "savage" purpose. Grin

« Last Edit: 05/29/09 at 20:08:11 by John_D FSO »  

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Educatedredneck
Alliance Member

Sometimes it's
better to be lucky
than good.

Hampstead, Maryland
Re: My new shiny shiny! (muffler)
Reply #4 - 05/30/09 at 00:49:57

Use a harley heat shield, the stock heat shield will look goofy imho.

1997 Savage - Hard Chrome Drag Pipe, Seat Mod, 152.5 main, 1 - #4 washer, Di Hard Battery, T-Kat, 1" Drag Bar
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Re: My new shiny shiny! (muffler)
Reply #5 - 05/30/09 at 01:24:26

Educatedredneck wrote on 05/30/09 at 00:49:57:
Use a harley heat shield, the stock heat shield will look goofy imho.

Yeah, I'm leaning that way too, but a lot will depend on if I can get as good a deal on them as I did the muffler.

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Re: My new shiny muffler
Reply #6 - 05/30/09 at 15:31:42

Crappity smack!  Went to get the angled adapter piece today.  Wanted to go to a local shop, you know, give the little guy some business in this struggling economy.  Apparantly the little guys don't need business bad enough to be open on weekends when most of us are looking to fix things; none of them were open! Angry  Broke down and went to Midas, but he said he had to charge a minumum of $25.  Heck with that, I'm not spending more on the adapter than the muffler!  Guess I wait til Monday. Sad  May as well tear the tank off and swap out some washers for the white spacer; hopefully that goes smoother than having the adapter made. Roll Eyes
End of current rant. Cheesy

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 05/30/09 at 22:57:25

personally id say screw the adaptor. The major advatge of it is to keep soot off the rear brake arm and housing. Not big enough an issue IMO to justify spending ANY money. Grab an old pair of tighty whiteys and wipe the arm and housing clean once a week. Problem solved.

IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #8 - 05/31/09 at 03:30:10

If I can't get it for a decent price, I'm definitely going to pursue other options.  I don't care so much about the soot, but with this particular one, it seems to me like it'd be putting a little bind on things if I just slapped a shim in there and torqued it all down.  May end up going the flex pipe route like I saw someone else on here do, and hack up a shield to go over it all.

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Bwahaha!
Reply #9 - 06/01/09 at 17:59:18

Got the muffler on, and it sounds GREAT!  A wee bit louder than I'd planned, but pretty decent overall.  Got a piece about 6 or 8 inches long with a bit of a bend, $15.  Ended up going with the extra heavy clamps, the H-D ones just weren't taking all the slop out of things.  Should be able to cover it all up with a heat shield though.  Used some of DiamondJim's "Amish pipe welder" on it, we'll see if I got the good stuff or not, seems ok so far.

Ok, enough talk, here's some pics! Cheesy

Don't think it turned out too bad after all. Grin

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #10 - 06/01/09 at 19:25:07

That looks great. Glad you got it together.

-D. Dwarf

Pearl White 2007 S40; Dyna exhaust; Current jets: 52.5 w/ bleed (2 turns out) / 1.5mm (0.06") spacer / 150; raptor petcock
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #11 - 06/01/09 at 19:36:39

Wow!.  Very nice.  Is that pipe completely hollow as in pretty much a shell?  If so, that would be perfect for a fibrosleeve mod.  I had been wanting to do that but never really found a good muffler to do it to.  

fibrosleeve- http://www.motorcycle-journal.com/forum/marauder-m50-secret-hideaway/32124-m5...

IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #12 - 06/01/09 at 22:13:12

Thanks for the compliments.  Can't wait to find a heat shield; if it's not raining tomorrow, going to ride over to the salvage yard and poke around.  A very dangerous place for my wallet!  If I was going the rat bike style, I'd probably leave it as is, I kinda like the look of it. Roll Eyes

Jim, as far as I could tell looking through it, the center is pretty much straight through the dia. of the inlet pipe, with mesh holding packing in the remaining outer area of the larger part of the pipe, then there's what looks like about a quarter sized plate welded in the center about 1/2 way through, to give it just a bit of baffling.  Could probably easily knock it out for straight flow, but the blessed thing's already plenty loud. Cheesy

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #13 - 06/02/09 at 05:12:14

Sounds like it's similar to the HD mufflers.  

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1240229431/8#8

IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #14 - 06/02/09 at 05:15:55

Yep, identical internals I believe, except there's a plate blocking the center tube as you look down through it.  I think it's just tacked on one edge though, because you can see light around it.  Just a Screamin' Eagle knockoff I think.

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/14/24 at 15:18:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My new shiny muffler

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.