Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
supertrapp (Read 319 times)
danroot

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

supertrapp
05/29/09 at 16:03:20

just got my supertrapp in the mail yesterday and got it installed today. the old exhaust was a pain in the ass to get off, whoever had the bike before me spot welded some of the clamps down and only after about an hour of hammering was i able to get it off.

anyway, the job was ugly, i need to clean up the fit abit or just add a heat shield to hide the mess. cosmetics aside, what a difference! way more response, first time getting up to 50mph on the new pipe i had no idea i was going that fast. the sound is great, sounds like a real bike now.

i got a few more upgrades to do before the performance bits are done then i can focus on the cosmetics.

anyone have any thoughts on the chain conversion?

IP Logged
danroot

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: supertrapp
Reply #1 - 05/29/09 at 16:17:04

also, those with a trapp, how many discs do you use?

IP Logged
Mr. Hyde
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Reply #2 - 05/29/09 at 16:38:44

I was gonna ask you how many you used.

FREE RIDER - Whatever blows your hair back.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 05/29/09 at 18:29:43

Seems like a lot of folks are in the 8-12 range.
I've got 3 on my SRX600 but then the plates are seperated by 3/8" nuts for spacers.   Smiley
I'll need to get a photo of it when I get home.

IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #4 - 05/29/09 at 19:24:44

I am running 6 disks in mine and didn't have to rejet. Make sure that you clean the muffler really good before starting your bike. I didn't get all of the manufacturing oil cleaned off mine and it turned part of the muffler blue right away.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
gazoo07

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lakeland, FL
Reply #5 - 05/29/09 at 19:38:00

I am running the open end cap on mine which is supposed to flow the same as 10-12 discs (according to Supertrapp). I also have a dynojet kit and stock air filter and get 60 mpg highway and plenty of extra power. Gazoo  www.lubedealer.com/1lube

Enjoy the journey as much as the destination!
Amsoil at wholesale prices! www.lubedealer.com/1lube
  IP Logged
seviersavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Smoky Mountains Tennessee
Reply #6 - 05/29/09 at 20:54:06

Running 14 discs on mine. And a vm roundslide carb.
Seviersavage

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 05/29/09 at 22:26:03

Clean it b4 u run it, clean it good.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #8 - 05/30/09 at 06:49:15

I've been running my '87 since March 2008 with -0- discs. Tried 6 discs w/open end cap. Didn't care for the sound and didn't notice any change in performance, so I removed them after about 2 weeks. Probably not recommended, but zero discs works for me.

FSO
  IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #9 - 05/30/09 at 07:24:49

http://www.supertrapp.com/resource/faqs.asp#34
Quote:
Q. Why should I use discs?
SuperTrapp discs provide a scavenging effect. Here’s how it works: the gap between each disc ranges from .023 inches wide on the inside of the muffler, to .028 inches on the external open edge. As hot exhaust gases pass through the discs to exit the muffler they enter a larger area, creating a slight pressure drop as the gas expands, creating a scavenging effect. This larger charge lets the engine create more power and this is why it is very important to use discs. It’s simple physics and math: a quantity of gas expanding to fill a larger volume results in a reduction of pressure and as the circumference of the circle increases, its area increases by more than twice as much.

Quote:
Q. How many diffuser discs should I run?
The answer depends on your displacement: disc diameter, power band, and noise level. Fewer discs reduce sound levels, more discs increase sound levels. Fewer discs increase low-end torque and richen the carbureted fuel mixture. More discs increase sound levels, increase top-end power and lean out the carbureted fuel mixture. NOTE: When tuning an exhaust system, start with fewer discs and add. Never start with a lot of discs and subtract. Generally on a stock set up (no engine modifications, and stock carb and air filter), you can start with six to eight discs on dirt bikes and ATVs. On V-twin, metric and cruiser bikes, start with twelve discs. A popular misconception: The more free-flowing an exhaust system is, the more power it will make. This is not true. Some backpressure (2-3 PSI) is necessary to achieve maximum power. This is why it is necessary to use the discs that come with your tunable SuperTrapp exhaust. The number of discs to use will depend on your application, displacement, disc diameter and power band. To assess the performance of any product that affects horsepower and torque, lap times and Dyno- runs are your best indicators. However, since most enthusiasts usually only have a “seat-of-the-pants” Dyno, running condition is the most obvious indicator. Pay attention to the coloration of the discs. Little or no disc coloration indicates a possible lean condition (remove one or two discs). Black or sooty discs are indicative of a rich, or oil burning condition (add one or two discs). Discs that turn a tan or golden color indicate an acceptable balance of fuel mixture and exhaust flow. Reading a spark plug is the quickest way to check if everything in the engine is working as it should. And, it will tell if the SuperTrapp has been tuned properly. A rust-brown spark plug color indicates that the plug is operating smoothly (exhaust is tuned correctly). A whitish look indicates that the burn is too lean (remove one or two discs). A blackish deposit on the plug electrodes (left by oil or fuel traces) indicates that the burn is too rich (add one or two discs).

The research I've done shows that backpressure is always bad, but SuperTrapp's explaination is the common shadetree mechanic's explaination.  The exhaust system needs to be properly tuned for the hot pulsating gas with a negative wave of sound pressure energy at the exhaust port at the time the exhaust valve opens--that's what scavenging is.  Wide open and straight through pipes do not provide for this.  They'll often sound more powerful while they measure as being less powerful.

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #10 - 05/30/09 at 10:20:13

It's also a short pipe/long pipe thing too.  The cone acts as an expansion tube and the bike somewhat sees it as a shorter pipe yet you have the resistance (discs) that would be present with atraight pipe of the same length.

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #11 - 05/30/09 at 10:30:06

On the possibility of a chain conversion: I recommend that it only be done on 5-speed bikes, and you not use the tallest (highest ratio) combo of 17/43 tooth sprockets unless you weigh less than 180 pounds and plan to run the bike at 75-80mph Interstate speeds a lot.

I wanted to try that really tall gearing myself, and at over 250 pounds, the fifth gear is so high that it has virtually no acceleration at all above 65mph. I have to drop to fourth and get it up past 70-75mph; then drop it into fifth and hope I'm not bucking a headwind. I also have a SuperTrapp on the chain drive converted bike. But I also have a rather large windshield on it, as it serves as my "road" bike at this time. The chopper pictured below is my city cruising bike!  Wink

Much recommended that anyone larger than 150-180 pounds or with a big windshield etc... at least step down to the 17/45 ratio like Savage_Greg and some others used. I know I need to back down at least that far, maybe more.

Also be warned that using a small front sprocket in your combo can cause rubbing problems (be sure and read the conversion thread in the tech section before buying and installing parts!!!)  And also be aware that there are certain sprocket combos which won't let the wheel/axle land in the adjustment zone on the swingarm; then you can't get the chain slack adjusted correctly.

Aside from the possible pitfalls, the chain drive is very cool, as it lets you just putt along at 70+mph without feeling like you are winding the old thumper too tight for long periods of time.

IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #12 - 05/30/09 at 11:51:39

why do you only recommend it for 5 speeds? i have the chain on my 4 and love it. just askin.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
Duane

Creatively
Maladjusted

Terra Plane
Reply #13 - 05/30/09 at 13:21:25

The belt drive is what makes it so cool.

I noticed some of the new HD sport models have chains this year.

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. JFK

WWW duanedaringer   IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #14 - 05/30/09 at 21:17:46

rigidchop wrote on 05/30/09 at 11:51:39:
why do you only recommend it for 5 speeds? i have the chain on my 4 and love it. just askin.

Unless you are fairly lightweight, the 4-speed has a first gear which is already as tall as it needs to be. Gearing up higher would put too much strain on the clutch (IMO) unless the bike is always very lightly loaded. Even in deference to the weight issue, first gear could be too high for some people to navigate tight corners safely too.

But if it works for you... fine! Ride with it!  Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 23:25:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › supertrapp

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.