John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Re: gas tank
Reply #15 - 05/30/09 at 11:26:57

marshall13 wrote on 05/30/09 at 11:09:31:
verslagen1 wrote on 05/30/09 at 07:38:59:
Hot exhaust isn't enough to lite a pool of gas.  Takes a spark or an open flame.  If gas spills out all over your engine, cap the tank, tip it to shake off any pools and push it off to the side.  Wait for any residue to evaporate and you're good to go.

You can throw a lit cig into a pool of gas and it will extinguish.  I think that was a mythbuster.

did the cig into a puddle of gas thing to calm down a station jockey that thought my smoldering butt on the apron was a hazard.... jumped out of his skin when i picked up the butt and tossed it into the puddle (previous customer had overpumped, and the jockey was "speedidry"-ing the apron...).  then i told him about the old timer that used to drop his butts in a bucket of gas to get us to crap our pants when i was a kid... he laughed and told me it may be god to follow tradition, but it gets in the way if it requires underwear changes mid-shift... dont try this with laquer thinner.... unless of course, you really love the sound "FOOMP".... rofl

Yep, my great uncle used to tell us about putting out his cigs the same way.  My main reasons for not wanting to overfill are damaging the paint, and damaging the family jewels when it somes blowing back at highway speeds! Shocked

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #16 - 05/30/09 at 11:36:58

it'll also mess up the vinyl of the seat, corrode any electrical connector it seeps into, damage your chrome, and mess with insulation on wires... gas belongs in the fuel circuit, nowhere else....

IP Logged
Duane

Creatively
Maladjusted

Terra Plane
Reply #17 - 05/30/09 at 14:11:40

Don't over fill. I hate it when I take off and a little comes out around the cap and get's on my pants.

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. JFK

WWW duanedaringer   IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #18 - 05/30/09 at 20:02:49

Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 05/29/09 at 14:32:22:
Who was it that bought that thing we have been calling a McGoofy? It is some type of funnel device that supposedly lets you fill up perfectly every time.

I remember we had a good time teasing him about it, but for the life of me I can't remember who it was.

07S40 rider, I think.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Pabst 2006

Thump Thump KERPOW!

Rochester, NY
Reply #19 - 05/31/09 at 18:31:25

one of the OCC episodes had the Teutels making a chopper for McCuff Industries...
...only thing I could think about the whole time was laughing about that guy on this forum sometime last summer-ish, the one we had the running joke with about waving his McGoofy on the open road (or something like that)

-Pabst

2008 S40 - Red
  IP Logged
savagedml

Paid Alliance
Membership (07/09)

Portsmouth, VA
Reply #20 - 05/31/09 at 18:51:45

You know, I went out and bought a McGoofy last winter, and the other poster was right. It cuts off the gas flow at just the right time. No McDrips or McSplashbacks either. Cycle Gear gives a 1 time MSF discount and I picked it up for $14 (reg 19.99). It comes with a neat storage case that attaches to my engine case guard via velcro. Well worth it if you can resist the urge to keep filling after it cuts off.

Paid Alliance Membership (07/09)
"Let's roll!"
WWW funluvncareertech   IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #21 - 05/31/09 at 19:52:33

it's hard to look cool to the ladies @ the next pump...as gas shoots out back on u.....lol

my friend told me this.....didn't happen to me...@least i'll never admit it  Wink

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 08:27:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › gas tank

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.