Send Topic Print
gas tank (Read 304 times)
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
gas tank
05/29/09 at 11:58:20

Do you fill your gas tank by eye or does it automatically stop when it's full?

IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Re: gas tank
Reply #1 - 05/29/09 at 12:01:38

It will automatically stop, at least it does for me, but don't rely on it.  I wouldn't just leave the nozzle hanging on the tank by itself though, as it's quite a bit of weight, and might put some funky warp in your tank eventually.  I always pretty much go by eye though, as you can top it off a little, and with our small tanks, every little bit counts. Roll Eyes

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #2 - 05/29/09 at 12:12:02

The nozzle usually cuts off, but it is only two gallons or so and I don't get off the bike to fill it, so I am watching.  Then I can put just a little more in, to get it good and full.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #3 - 05/29/09 at 12:23:25

Thanks!

IP Logged
eanon

Thump-Thump-Thu mp

Austin, Texas
Reply #4 - 05/29/09 at 13:58:39

I always watch it.  don't trust the auto cut off.  always works on my car, but I've had it over flow on my bike.  Oh Boy!  Now I get to smell like gas all day! Roll Eyes

Red '97, cone filter, 150 main, 52.5 Pilot, half spacer, Screaming Eagle turnout, 17/43 chain drive, shield, de-badged, 4" forward control extensions. Gettin' there.
  IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #5 - 05/29/09 at 14:06:39

By Eye. If you wait for it to shut off, you risk over flow. Myt bike wouldn't run well  on fire. Sad

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #6 - 05/29/09 at 14:29:14

I have never even thought about letting it shut off on its own Shocked. I always do it by eye!!

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #7 - 05/29/09 at 14:32:22

Who was it that bought that thing we have been calling a McGoofy? It is some type of funnel device that supposedly lets you fill up perfectly every time.

I remember we had a good time teasing him about it, but for the life of me I can't remember who it was.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 05/29/09 at 14:37:09

McCuff I think

Never had a problem w/auto off, but I haven't had much experience filling up in backwoods filling stations.

WWW   IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #9 - 05/29/09 at 23:13:58

verslagen1 wrote on 05/29/09 at 14:37:09:
McCuff I think

Never had a problem w/auto off, but I haven't had much experience filling up in backwoods filling stations.

Dad lives on a ranch about 40 miles from town, so he has a few 300-400 gallon bulk tanks on legs (gravity feed!) for gas and diesel.  Auto-on is wedging the gas cap in the lever. Grin  And the autostop is listening to the sound of the gas going in, you can usually hear it as it's getting to the top.  Of course I've run gas down the side of his pickup when I wasn't paying attention too! Roll Eyes

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 05/29/09 at 23:42:28

I spent a summer at a boys scout camp teaching archery.
Ocassionally, the camp master would dole out gas for service rendered.  It was an old fashion hand pumper.  you pumped until you filled a tank above the pump was filled to the quantity desired.  1st time I did this pumped it up as fast as I could.  I was getting 5 gal.  when I got to 4 he started filling my tank.  He said when to stop pumping.  The second time I went a lot slower but he did the same thing.  5 gal would have filled my tank but I never did fill the pump tank and he never did say stop.

WWW   IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #11 - 05/30/09 at 00:25:27

verslagen1 wrote on 05/29/09 at 23:42:28:
I spent a summer at a boys scout camp teaching archery.
Ocassionally, the camp master would dole out gas for service rendered.  It was an old fashion hand pumper.  you pumped until you filled a tank above the pump was filled to the quantity desired.  1st time I did this pumped it up as fast as I could.  I was getting 5 gal.  when I got to 4 he started filling my tank.  He said when to stop pumping.  The second time I went a lot slower but he did the same thing.  5 gal would have filled my tank but I never did fill the pump tank and he never did say stop.

Our neighbors had one of those pumps, with the glass tank on top with the numbers inside to tell ya how many gallons you had.  Not sure if they still use it; it'd probably be worth a fortune now. Shocked

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 05/30/09 at 07:19:17

Over filling a car or truck generally doesn't include the thrill of splashing a pint of gas over a hot exhaust pipe. Tell me again how much you trust the auto shut off on a pumb handle that gets dropped and abused hundreds of times a week. Fire and motorcycles don't mix very well. Smiley

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 05/30/09 at 07:38:59

Hot exhaust isn't enough to lite a pool of gas.  Takes a spark or an open flame.  If gas spills out all over your engine, cap the tank, tip it to shake off any pools and push it off to the side.  Wait for any residue to evaporate and you're good to go.

You can throw a lit cig into a pool of gas and it will extinguish.  I think that was a mythbuster.

WWW   IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #14 - 05/30/09 at 11:09:31

verslagen1 wrote on 05/30/09 at 07:38:59:
Hot exhaust isn't enough to lite a pool of gas.  Takes a spark or an open flame.  If gas spills out all over your engine, cap the tank, tip it to shake off any pools and push it off to the side.  Wait for any residue to evaporate and you're good to go.

You can throw a lit cig into a pool of gas and it will extinguish.  I think that was a mythbuster.

did the cig into a puddle of gas thing to calm down a station jockey that thought my smoldering butt on the apron was a hazard.... jumped out of his skin when i picked up the butt and tossed it into the puddle (previous customer had overpumped, and the jockey was "speedidry"-ing the apron...).  then i told him about the old timer that used to drop his butts in a bucket of gas to get us to crap our pants when i was a kid... he laughed and told me it may be god to follow tradition, but it gets in the way if it requires underwear changes mid-shift... dont try this with laquer thinner.... unless of course, you really love the sound "FOOMP".... rofl

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 06:35:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › gas tank

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.