Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
new member with old questions (Read 86 times)
Rainy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SanBenito, Tx
new member with old questions
05/28/09 at 09:59:32

First of all, let me introduce myself....I'm Rainy.  Have owned a 2001 Savage for about two weeks. It's a one-owner machine with 53,000 miles on the odometer. Cleans up real nice. It seems a bit short-hitched but I think I can live with that.  I'm 5'9" and shrinking at 65yrs of age.  The Savage is completely stock except for a modification I made to the exhaust system. Some questions if I may;  Where could I buy a real service manual?  Is there a method of adjusting drive belt tension without using the guage that comes with the tool kit (which, incidently is missing)? I have removed the air/fuel mixture screw plug and fiddled with the adjustment to stop the backfire. What might I expect to do in the form of preventavie maintenance at 53,000 miles. I believe the P.O took care to have regular maintenance done. Thank you all for the very interesting forum. Seems like a great group of people. Rainy  Shocked

Rainy Rainy Rainy   IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: new member with old questions
Reply #1 - 05/28/09 at 10:06:58

There is a belt tension guage  Shocked ...
Grip it in the middle on the bottom between the 2 pulleys with thumb and forefinger across the width. Twist it. 45 to 60 degrees is all it should twist.
There is a savage manual but also a photo companion CD. Look for that too, lots of pics, way better than a manual.

53K, I guess check valves and routinely check for oil use as you ride ... Miles almost dont matter. Though you may have to do a top end rebuild sometime. Bottom end of savages are nearly in destructible. You dont seize the rod bearing by hot doggin it low on oil, it wont even need work.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Duane

Creatively
Maladjusted

Terra Plane
Reply #2 - 05/28/09 at 11:21:22

2001 with 53K some one liked to ride.  Shocked

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. JFK

WWW duanedaringer   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #3 - 05/28/09 at 12:07:06

Welcome, Rainy.  

I suggest replacing cam chain and the cam chain tensioner.  Then button her up and ride.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 11:14:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › new member with old questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.