Send Topic Print
update (Read 234 times)
Joshua
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

update
05/27/09 at 12:13:41

So I explained in an earlier post how my bike would flood if left overnite and then wouldn't start.  I adjusted the float to be within range, which I think I did properly.  Now it's still getting fuel in the airbox but not so much that it won't start.  I drained about 2oz. from the hose and that was from sitting for two days.  I guess it must be the petcock letting fuel flow when it's not supposed to?  I was thinking about installing an inline shutoff and was wondering if anyone knows of a inline fuel filter that has a shutoff on it?  Instead of doing the raptor petcock that is.  I've already spent more money than I was supposed to on the bike so I'm trying to go the more economical route.  Thanks again for your assistance. This shouldn't be a real concern before my 400 mile trip this weekend right?

IP Logged
Duane

Creatively
Maladjusted

Terra Plane
Re: update
Reply #1 - 05/27/09 at 12:31:06

I'd do the petcock swap, it sounds easy and is not very exspensive.

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. JFK

WWW duanedaringer   IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #2 - 05/27/09 at 13:08:46

there's a thread in the tech section on converting the stock petcock to manual operation... way cheap mod... that's your low-budget fix...

IP Logged
Seth C.

Tucson, AZ
Reply #3 - 05/27/09 at 14:14:38

WOW, I'm having deja vu. Read this thread bro http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1239117649
The exact same thing happend to me as well as others. Yep Reptor petcock replacment, plug the vac nipple on your stock carb. Smell your oil cap and or the oil, if it smells like gas don't run the bike untill you fix the petcock and do an oil change. Be sure when you change the oil filter that you reassemble it correctly or we'll see another thread about a 3" half moon shape crack in the oil filter cover  Grin again happened to me and many others. It won't cost you much at all if you just take the right steps. I hope this helps.

2001 Suzuki Savage LS650
WWW   IP Logged
Joshua
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/27/09 at 19:46:35

I read that whole thread but I'm still not sure about something.  If the petcock is bad does that mean that gas just flows through the vac line even when the egine isn't running?  I just unplugged the vac line, it was a little wet.  I left it unplugged and put a glass jar under it and will check it in the morning.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 05/27/09 at 19:50:52

wet is not good.

WWW   IP Logged
Seth C.

Tucson, AZ
Reply #6 - 05/27/09 at 20:56:38

The diaphram in your petcock has most likely failed. I too thought it was a vac line issue. It IS the petcock. Order the Raptor 660 petcock asap. And don't start or ride it if the fuel has made it into your oil. The new install takes 5 to 30 mins depending on how fast you are at removing the seat, tank ect. The new petcock will give you peace of mind as well knowing that no way in hell is fuel going into your carb when it is in the off possition.

2001 Suzuki Savage LS650
WWW   IP Logged
Joshua
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 05/27/09 at 21:12:19

I smelled the oil at the filler hole but couldn't smell any gas.  So I should probably drain the oil tomorrow and see if there is any gas in the oil?

IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #8 - 05/27/09 at 21:15:07

no way to tell besides smelling it, and a lab... it wont seperate out from the oil... though if you get more oil out than you put in, it might be a clue...lol

IP Logged
Seth C.

Tucson, AZ
Reply #9 - 05/28/09 at 07:49:29

Yea that's another tell tale sign. Oil level. Man this is hitting so close to home. I was totally in your shoes like 6-8 weeks ago. It makes me apreciate the people on these boards even more. Lets us know how it goes. Did you order your new petcock yet?

2001 Suzuki Savage LS650
WWW   IP Logged
Joshua
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 05/28/09 at 09:09:37

I ordered my new petcock last night.  This morning there was no fuel in the glass I left below the disconnected vac line.  So shouldn't there be if the vac line is leaking?  It still sounds to me like the floats aren't set correctly still?  And why again am I supposed to replace the vac line if it had gas in it?  Is it b/c it's not made for gas and gas will eat it up?
Thanks
Joshua

IP Logged
Seth C.

Tucson, AZ
Reply #11 - 05/28/09 at 10:18:20

Your just checking the vac line for fuel. If it is or was wet then your diaphram has failed. I'm sure the board will correct me if I am wrong.

Also kind of a simmilar thing happening here on the boards at the same tme. Check out this thread http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1243441936/11#11 you can at least see what the Raptor 660 petcock looks like in prep for yours.

2001 Suzuki Savage LS650
WWW   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #12 - 05/28/09 at 19:23:06

24 cents for a nylon screw to convert my petcock to manual.     I took the optional route and replaced the back plate with flat 1/8 " aluminum plate, but that was a freebie from another project.

Adjusting the float is only a small part of your problem.  The valve the float triggers is dirty or worn and should be repaired/replaced.    

No gas in the cup??  Yet you get gas in the air box overnight.....  Disconnect both lines and put them in the cup overnight.  Maybe you have dirt in the petcock valve not letting it close all the way.

Do the free things first.....  Wink

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #13 - 05/29/09 at 10:07:53

Joshua wrote on 05/28/09 at 09:09:37:
I ordered my new petcock last night.  This morning there was no fuel in the glass I left below the disconnected vac line.  So shouldn't there be if the vac line is leaking?  It still sounds to me like the floats aren't set correctly still?  And why again am I supposed to replace the vac line if it had gas in it?  Is it b/c it's not made for gas and gas will eat it up?
Thanks
Joshua

the OEM vac-line is junk tubing... about the cheapest available.. the wall is very thin, it wants to kink, collapse from the vac, and basically just barely does its job when new(that's why it's covered with a spring, to protect it from abrasion, and prevent it from taking a radius that will kink it).... any degradation from the gas at all, and it becomes a sieve... decent vac line is about 20 cents a foot.... cheap insurance, no?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 05:29:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › update

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.