Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
almost made it... (Read 488 times)
odvelasc
Ex Member

Re: almost made it...
Reply #30 - 05/26/09 at 18:13:26

RJ8 wrote on 05/24/09 at 17:40:10:
well i decided a few weeks ago that i wanted to try and paint my s40, i had gotten it used and white was really never my color so i started taking it apart
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j38/halosr4heroes/0509091540.jpg
i got to about here and said "hey that looks pretty darn cool" (yep talking to myself again) and decided that there was no way the stock fender was going back on and while i was at it...
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j38/halosr4heroes/0521091626.jpg
figured why not change the fender, brake light, rear turn signals, seat, mirrors, put on some exhaust wrap, and make the chrome look like brushed aluminum...oh yeah, and i painted it too Cool...now just waiting for a couple black star decals, an american flag decal, and do some changes to the front end and i'm good to go...what do you guys think?...my gf is an iraq vet and we do alot of patriot guard and cvma rides so i figured i'd do something special in honor of her and the other troops making it safe for people like me to do stuff like this...too bad i missed my memorial day deadline...

How did you get the burshed metal look on the muffler and heat shield? Also, what length of exhaust wrap did you use?

IP Logged
RJ8
YaBB Newbies

Manchester, NH
Reply #31 - 05/26/09 at 18:18:12

diamond jim wrote on 05/26/09 at 14:46:29:
RJ8, many of us have removed our belt guards.  If you get the itch to do so, stop a moment and check out a member's bike on the forum.  He pops up every once in a while.  I wanna say he's from Denmark but not sure.  Flannigan_so and so or something like that.  He's the one with the super wide handlebars.  The PO had trimmed the upper belt guard, instead of removing it, and it looks pretty slick IMO.  

i think i've seen that one, it is or was a red bike right? that was wicked sweet and i honestly at one point had the wrench in my hand and was all set to take off the belt guard when i looked up and realized that i was in pretty far over my head already and decided to wait for another time....like maybe this weekend haha...

and yep, got the fender off without taking off the wheel (or i should say me and my buddy's 4000 tools got it off...i think in the end it was a socket wrench with an extension and an angled socket and banging the crap out of it...there was no way it was going back on haha), cuz taking it off looked waaaaay more complicated that i could handle, thought about chopping the stock one for about 6 seconds but the amount of smoothing that would need to be done to get rid of all the darn angles seemed to make spending 25 bucks on a trailer fender that much more appealing...

IP Logged
RJ8
YaBB Newbies

Manchester, NH
Reply #32 - 05/26/09 at 18:32:31

that was actually pretty easy, took some of the fine sandpaper, 150 grit i think, that i had used to smooth out the tank and just rubbed it continuously in one direction (don't go back and forth and try to keep the sandpaper as straight as you can or it makes a wavy look) until i got it to the point that i liked it...here's the engine guard...

haven't worried about possible long term damage to the exhaust such as rust cuz i'm planning on getting a supertrapp and will probably paint or lose the engine guards completely but figured that was an easy way to make the stock one look a little better til then...the exhaust wrap was DEI 1"x50' and i wound up using most of it...fyi, at first it smokes and smells like your leg is on fire  Cool

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #33 - 05/26/09 at 18:49:42

There's a spray on sealant for it.
Other wise every time it gets wet it'll do the same.

WWW   IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #34 - 05/26/09 at 19:09:06

diamond jim wrote on 05/26/09 at 10:46:17:
Savage_Amusement wrote on 05/26/09 at 10:04:52:
Nice bike, awesome to have another Girl around!!

Shocked

SA- you a girl too?  Anyone else?  Anymore surprises?

Too?  As in also?! Huh  There something you ain't tellin' us Jim? Shocked
Just messin' with ya. Cheesy

Great looking job on the fender RJ8.  Have you been caught in the rain, or on wet streets with it yet?  It rains so much of the year here, if I had a fender like that, I'd be sporting a skunk stripe up my back! Grin

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
RJ8
YaBB Newbies

Manchester, NH
Reply #35 - 05/26/09 at 19:14:43

no rain yet, almost lost the entire bike in a pothole today tho haha...i just figure with no front fender and very little rear fender if i do get wet and muddy at least the front and the back of my jacket will match Cheesy

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #36 - 05/26/09 at 19:33:58

RJ8 wrote on 05/26/09 at 18:32:31:
that was actually pretty easy, took some of the fine sandpaper, 150 grit i think, that i had used to smooth out the tank and just rubbed it continuously in one direction (don't go back and forth and try to keep the sandpaper as straight as you can or it makes a wavy look) until i got it to the point that i liked it...here's the engine guard...
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j38/halosr4heroes/0516091849a.jpg
haven't worried about possible long term damage to the exhaust such as rust cuz i'm planning on getting a supertrapp and will probably paint or lose the engine guards completely but figured that was an easy way to make the stock one look a little better til then...the exhaust wrap was DEI 1"x50' and i wound up using most of it...fyi, at first it smokes and smells like your leg is on fire  Cool

Did you remove the pipe in order to put on the wrap? Does it wrap around the connection to your muffler at all?

IP Logged
RJ8
YaBB Newbies

Manchester, NH
Reply #37 - 05/26/09 at 19:51:47

yeah, i took the exhaust off cuz it was easier to wrap it but i wound up just leaving the muffler and heatshield covering the connection point on and when i wrapped it just slid it down into the space covered by the shield but i didn't cover the connection...oh and it kinda goes without saying but i'll say it anyway, wear gloves when handling this stuff...a little itchy Shocked

IP Logged
Savage Eddie

Custom Bob's ROCK!

40 miles west of Chicago
Reply #38 - 05/26/09 at 21:37:02

That explains why i was all itchy after i did that.....hmmmph

oh, btw, you've inspired me to paint the head black and sand the fins!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 02:18:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › almost made it...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.