Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Re: almost made it...
Reply #15 - 05/24/09 at 22:55:42

RJ8 wrote on 05/24/09 at 18:25:03:
yeah, i'll probably go for a solo seat like that at some point but for the meantime i'm probably gonna try to trim down the seat that's on it now and recover it in camo gore-tex but the fork boots will definately be next (any idea what size those ones are?)...i kinda like the off-road kinda look i've got going on, kind of a mini-urban assault vehicle haha...just gotta figure out where to mount the rifle and bullets...

This will help on the fork boots:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1127425885/15
Read the whole thing, as I think there was some confusion on Dennis Kirk's part as to correct part number. I ordered the Daystar, put them on, solo,  removing the entire fork assembly, without having to remove the front wheel. Took about 45 minutes; but then, I didn't know what I was doing. With your wrenching skills, about a 15 minute job. Bike looks good by the way.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #16 - 05/25/09 at 02:56:57

diamond jim wrote on 05/24/09 at 18:48:54:
One day last summer, I walked past my wife's S40 in the garage.  I noticed a smudge on the tank.  I rubbed the tank three times and poof!  The mod genie was let loose.  

When the smoke cleared, this was sitting in my garage:
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh128/russ_diamond_jim/1-21.jpg

Yes, the mod genie can get a little radical if you do not contain his/her enthusiasm.

Before

Present

And I keep hearing the genie cooking up other things, I think my mod genie containment field is weakening.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
RJ8
YaBB Newbies

Manchester, NH
Reply #17 - 05/25/09 at 04:41:13

jeremy the fender is just a trailer fender, pretty sure it was the shortest one they had in the 7" width (i'll double check the invoice when i get home, working memorial day sucks) that i cut in half, then a buddy helped me fab up a piece of metal to weld to it as a brake light mount and the turn signal mounts are just washers we welded on, i've got some better pics of it i'll post tomorrow...jim, yep, that's just a plain old garage rattle can job, its actually green then i put a very light spray of black over it to give it a kinda dirty look just kinda hard to see in pics, as for the plan, figure out the seat situation, i'm holding out for a supertrapp exhaust (unfortunately 300 bucks isn't in the budget right now), gonna lower the front a little, fork boots, paint the headlight body, new front turnsignals, wanna fab up a mount for either a bag or ammo can on or around the back fender, and i'm sure about a million other things haha...and i forget who said it but the deal with my "wrenching skills" is that they're pretty much non-existant, i was just happy the darn thing started when i got it back together haha...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #18 - 05/25/09 at 09:11:12

The stock headlamp bucket is plastic. IDK how well it will paint. IDK if the paint will attack it & make it brittle.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Seth C.

Tucson, AZ
Reply #19 - 05/25/09 at 12:16:06

Good look bro. I'm going through the same thing. Started taking stuff off and that opened a can of worms.  Undecided  Smiley

2001 Suzuki Savage LS650
WWW   IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #20 - 05/25/09 at 12:27:21

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/25/09 at 09:11:12:
The stock headlamp bucket is plastic. IDK how well it will paint. IDK if the paint will attack it & make it brittle.

on plastic, sand for "teeth" to bite the new paint, then use krylon "fusion" as a primer....have to either sand or chemically remove the gloss, but it grips plastic like a rabid pitbull.... and just about any "rattlecan" paint will stick to it...

IP Logged
RJ8
YaBB Newbies

Manchester, NH
Reply #21 - 05/26/09 at 07:38:30

Seth C. wrote on 05/25/09 at 12:16:06:
Good look bro. I'm going through the same thing. Started taking stuff off and that opened a can of worms.  Undecided  Smiley

well as you can see i did the whole thing with the rear wheel on, and once i realized what a PITA it was trying to unscrew those four bolts w/ the wheel on i knew i needed something a little less complicated, the current set up just uses the two top frame bolts and the fender gives me plenty of clearance....oh and btw, i'm a girl Wink...here's a couple better shots of the back...

i've also got a sidemount license plate that i put on it after this pic (legalities and all haha) but you get the idea...

IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #22 - 05/26/09 at 10:04:52

Nice bike, awesome to have another Girl around!!

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
JeremySW
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 05/26/09 at 10:21:21

Love the bike for sure. Interesting that you used a trailer fender, where did you get it from - a hardware store?

I have very similar plans for my future savage. Strangely I'm most intimidated by mounting turn signals and brake lights properly after I bob the rear fender. Looks like you did a pretty good job, is it just a matter of cutting and re attaching the existing wires?

IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #24 - 05/26/09 at 10:25:53

The stock wires are more than long enough to use again. That is one of the most common fenders that we use on this site. Most get them from Northern tool. Quick search and  you'll find the part number and more information on it than you'd ever want to know.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #25 - 05/26/09 at 10:46:17

Savage_Amusement wrote on 05/26/09 at 10:04:52:
Nice bike, awesome to have another Girl around!!

Shocked

SA- you a girl too?  Anyone else?  Anymore surprises?

IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #26 - 05/26/09 at 11:50:05

No, lol. It is just nice to have more Women around.

IP Logged
RJ8
YaBB Newbies

Manchester, NH
Reply #27 - 05/26/09 at 14:05:04

JeremySW wrote on 05/26/09 at 10:21:21:
Love the bike for sure. Interesting that you used a trailer fender, where did you get it from - a hardware store?

I have very similar plans for my future savage. Strangely I'm most intimidated by mounting turn signals and brake lights properly after I bob the rear fender. Looks like you did a pretty good job, is it just a matter of cutting and re attaching the existing wires?

here's the one i got http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200330793_... and i pretty much cut it in half (worked out well and it left me with a spare in case i screwed up anything), just keep in mind that these fenders are stamped so it was a little warped (didn't really do anything to fix it since its barely noticeable when its mounted), mounting everything was a little nerve wracking, especially since the sides of that fender are curved all the way around so it wasn't a simple "drill a hole and you're done" kinda deal for the signals so just found a couple washers that fit the turnsignals and welded them on, i had originally planned on putting the brakelight on the side mount plate but since i'm moving soon and still trying to sort out texas law i figured i'd put it in a spot that was guaranteed to be legal so just cut a piece from a strip of metal found laying in the garage and drilled a few holes and welded it on, not pretty but gets the job done...as for the lights, just cut the old lights to give myself as much wire as i could then soldered on the new lights,plugged them in, and shockingly they actually worked  Cheesy

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #28 - 05/26/09 at 14:46:29

RJ8, many of us have removed our belt guards.  If you get the itch to do so, stop a moment and check out a member's bike on the forum.  He pops up every once in a while.  I wanna say he's from Denmark but not sure.  Flannigan_so and so or something like that.  He's the one with the super wide handlebars.  The PO had trimmed the upper belt guard, instead of removing it, and it looks pretty slick IMO.  

IP Logged
Wolf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #29 - 05/26/09 at 15:57:07

RJ8,

Sweet bike!  You were able to take the rear fender without taking off the wheel?  

OOPS... just read the entire thread, missed some of the work you did....  
 Anybody chop their OE fender?   Thanks

Wolf Cheesy

ps.  I am in take off mode now and engine remod/build.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 02:15:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › almost made it...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.