New S40 owner :) (Read 1983 times)
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Re: New S40 owner :)
Reply #15 - 05/25/09 at 00:29:28

kevinphan wrote on 05/24/09 at 23:56:06:
I thought the s40 would have a gas warning light but it doesn't and I found out the hard way  Grin

Nice looking bike, I like the color!  As far as the gas guage, or lack thereof, some folks here have come up with a homemade trip odometer to help keep track of things:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1241026939/14#14

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #16 - 05/25/09 at 08:46:17

Quote:
I thought the s40 would have a gas warning light but it doesn't and I found out the hard way
Just refill the gas tank every time the odometer rolls over another 100 miles...that works for me.

IP Logged
JeremySW
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 05/25/09 at 08:56:38

kevinphan wrote on 05/24/09 at 23:56:06:
Rocco wrote on 05/24/09 at 20:20:04:
i'm going flat black 2! can't beat it bro!

and about the 240....ka24 or planning an sr20? you'll find that the bike is much more cost effective(gets better mileage and more ladies lol)

i was looking for a 5.0 mustang for street and strip when i decided 2 buy my savage....the sad thing is i paid the same amount for the whole bike as a rebuilt tranny for a stang costs! PLUS i'll retain my license by not racing @ every stop light...AND i think bikes are cooler anyways...any idiot can steer a car  Cool

you'll know which u like better if when driving your car u feel like you're simply "going somewhere" as opposed 2 riding and feeling the way the bike makes u feel!!

Surprised anyone on the board would recognize the 240, but funny you ask which motor was going in it haha. I just sold my SR20DET to get money to purchase my bike  Tongue Best choice I have made yet.

I'm going to drop in a KA24DE then rebuild and turbo it with a GT35R, should have 400whp on low boost  Grin Good choice on ditching the Stang and buying an S40. It's so much more fun riding on my bike than driving a car.

JeremySW wrote on 05/24/09 at 22:24:14:
Congrats man!

I'm looking for a good deal on an s40 currently. I just passed my motorcycle safety course so I'm getting my moto license Tuesday.

I might go flat black too but after seeing some bikes on here I'm getting inspired to do something different.

Enjoy the bike but be safe above all else!

Congrats on passing the course! I plan on taking it as soon as I can afford it, I'm currently driving with a permit but I am insured. I'm open on ideas for colors, flat black seems safe and looks good if you paint it good and not do a poopy job.

I thought the s40 would have a gas warning light but it doesn't and I found out the hard way  Grin

Yeah the course was pretty easy. I'm sure you'll ace it since you've been riding already. I came into it having only ridden a 100cc dirt bike like 4 years ago. And had no real problem passing any of it. I had an awesome RiderCoach which really helps.

Didnt notice what state you were in but for me it was 100 bucks. But learning potentially life-saving tips and not having to deal with the DMV other than to 'look here and smile' was well worth it. Plus it pays for itself by cheapening up your motorcycle insurance.

There may also be a pretty long waiting list depending on your state. I'm in the mid atlantic region and I know it takes months for some people to get into the Maryland courses.

Just some things to think about, enjoy that bike man.

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #18 - 05/25/09 at 10:19:32

lol anything with wheels and a skirt !! i need 2 buy that sticker!

i started life as a car freak but i've been converted to 2 wheels! i've seen plenty of ka24's that killed down here(even though they're dubbed as a "truck motor" lol). it's funny how i know so much about cars and so little about bikes! i'm having fun learning though, and i def don't regret not buying the stang right now. when i'm older maybe i'll get a nice '68 fastback, but y would i when i can just hop on the savage BACKFIRE is her name and be just as or more happy riding her?

the fact that a 5.0 with light mods gets around 15mpg, has high insurance and i'm sure i'd take on everything that revved next to me is enough for me 2 realize i'm not ready for that kind of power.

my dad had a dodge dakota with the 4.7v8 and i killed it in that poor truck. i made the transporter look like a kid on a go kart lol but with the bike i take it easy, i respect it more...and i laugh everytime she pops lol

OH! i went over to my girl's house the other night, pulled up turned her off and sure enough 1...2...3...POP!!! my girl came out laughing and goes "was that the bike or did u announce your arrival with a warning shot?" lol how can u beat that kind of fun?

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
kevinphan

Dracut, Massachusetts
Reply #19 - 05/26/09 at 00:20:41

JeremySW wrote on 05/25/09 at 08:56:38:
Yeah the course was pretty easy. I'm sure you'll ace it since you've been riding already. I came into it having only ridden a 100cc dirt bike like 4 years ago. And had no real problem passing any of it. I had an awesome RiderCoach which really helps.

Didnt notice what state you were in but for me it was 100 bucks. But learning potentially life-saving tips and not having to deal with the DMV other than to 'look here and smile' was well worth it. Plus it pays for itself by cheapening up your motorcycle insurance.

There may also be a pretty long waiting list depending on your state. I'm in the mid atlantic region and I know it takes months for some people to get into the Maryland courses.

Just some things to think about, enjoy that bike man.

Yeah I'm from Massachusetts, my brother recently finished his course and it was about 300$ but he said it was well worth it. He owns an R6. I'll be taking the class, it's just a matter of when now.

Rocco wrote on 05/25/09 at 10:19:32:
lol anything with wheels and a skirt !! i need 2 buy that sticker!

i started life as a car freak but i've been converted to 2 wheels! i've seen plenty of ka24's that killed down here(even though they're dubbed as a "truck motor" lol). it's funny how i know so much about cars and so little about bikes! i'm having fun learning though, and i def don't regret not buying the stang right now. when i'm older maybe i'll get a nice '68 fastback, but y would i when i can just hop on the savage BACKFIRE is her name and be just as or more happy riding her?

the fact that a 5.0 with light mods gets around 15mpg, has high insurance and i'm sure i'd take on everything that revved next to me is enough for me 2 realize i'm not ready for that kind of power.

my dad had a dodge dakota with the 4.7v8 and i killed it in that poor truck. i made the transporter look like a kid on a go kart lol but with the bike i take it easy, i respect it more...and i laugh everytime she pops lol

OH! i went over to my girl's house the other night, pulled up turned her off and sure enough 1...2...3...POP!!! my girl came out laughing and goes "was that the bike or did u announce your arrival with a warning shot?" lol how can u beat that kind of fun?

I'm right with you with knowing a lot about cars and little about bikes. Haha oh man my friend owns an STi lightly modded right now and he races anything that revs at him. I like driving cars, I definitely don't smile as much as I do when I'm riding my bike though, it's usually ear to ear the entire time. Ya can't beat that!

Made some slight progress, painted the air box covers.

Now to paint the tank the same color or keep it OEM?!?

WWW diverseclothing   IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #20 - 05/26/09 at 08:39:49

a friend of mine's sti puts around 350 to the wheels and i'm shocked he has his license still!

that came out really good bro, i'm going to paint the whole thing, tank, fenders, pretty much whatever was painted originally.

now i'm wondering if i should go flat black or mineral grey metallic(the mustang color)

my buddy has an airbrush machine, so i'm thinking that over rattle can BUT i might want the "home made" feel rattle cans give u....decisions decisions!!!!

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
Joshua
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 05/26/09 at 08:39:50

Welcome to the site.  Nice looking bike and excellent photography.

IP Logged
Joshua
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 05/26/09 at 08:41:56

As far as whether you should paint the tank?  I think it looks sharp they way it is with the black sides and blue tank but blue is my favorite color so...

IP Logged
kevinphan

Dracut, Massachusetts
Reply #23 - 05/27/09 at 20:34:49

Debadged the tank going to leave it blue for now.

Picked up a trailer fended and modded it to work.

Just needs paint now. I love it Cheesy

JeremySW
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 05/27/09 at 22:10:07

darnit Kevin. You are doing exactly what I plan to do when I get my s40 this summer. I'm already antsy as hell to get one and you are making it 10x worse.

Love the direction and love the photos. Keep them coming. How did you mount the fender? Nuts and Bolts or did you weld?

More photos! Its good for my "fix''. Cool

IP Logged
kevinphan

Dracut, Massachusetts
Reply #25 - 05/27/09 at 23:09:58

Oh man you are going to enjoy this bike so much when you get it!!! It's mounted using the 2 bottom half fender bolts, I didn't attach the fender bolts that bolt up to the seat horn things. It's on there good too.

Took it for a spin in the rain and water was all up my back which I expected with the fender so short but I love it that way.

I'll be sure to take more photos too, next up is lowering, new custom exhaust, and a few minor things. I'll try to take some photos during the daytime.  Grin

Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #26 - 05/27/09 at 23:15:54

THAT IS WICKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bro, that's friggin sweeeeet! i was thinking of ditching my front fender, and cutting the rear one like u did but i like my sissy bar.

it looks ridiculously awesome! was it a pain taking the back end all apart?

IP Logged
kevinphan

Dracut, Massachusetts
Reply #27 - 05/27/09 at 23:57:27

Thanks man! I was thinking of putting the front fender back on but painted black, not sure I doubt I will. I enjoy the clean look it has now.

It was pretty easy, DEFINITELY have a friend to help because it'll be a pregnant dog alone.

Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #28 - 05/28/09 at 00:19:58

yeah i'm thinking no front if i can't get the punisher logo, i have the punisher skull on my car and helmet and a punch of other stuff so that's what i'm sticking with!

now whether i want the logo on the tank is up for debate, since i put a nice round dent in it layin her down lol

IP Logged
Duane

Creatively
Maladjusted

Terra Plane
Reply #29 - 05/28/09 at 06:49:03

JeremySW wrote on 05/24/09 at 22:24:14:
Congrats man!

I'm looking for a good deal on an s40 currently. I just passed my motorcycle safety course so I'm getting my moto license Tuesday.

I might go flat black too but after seeing some bikes on here I'm getting inspired to do something different.

Enjoy the bike but be safe above all else!

Where are you located?

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. JFK

WWW duanedaringer   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 06:28:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New S40 owner :)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.