Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Different Ignition Coil (Read 237 times)
mikestrikes

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Decatur, AL
Different Ignition Coil
05/23/09 at 19:26:34

OK.... I just searched and looked at past threads but kinda still need to ask.

I want to use a canister type coil, like the old points type car coils. Would it even work with the Savage ingnition system ? Even if it was 3 Ohms !

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Re: Different Ignition Coil
Reply #1 - 05/23/09 at 19:32:28

Car coil

Savage coil

Hmmmm, I really don't know.

I would say it is possible, it looks to me the connectors are a bit different that's about it, but don't rely on my judgment.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/23/09 at 22:22:00

I wouldn't try it.  The Savage has a solid state electrical system with matched components.  Change the values of any of these components may damage others.  For example, I bought a Crane XR70 high energy LED ignition system for a project car I was building.  I used a high output  Accel Super Coil.  Even though the ballast resistance was correct, the Crane black box failed, and another replacement failed also.  I called Crane, and they said that the Accel coil was too much for the Crane unit.  I switched to a smaller Accel coil, and everything has worked for 10 years now.  In the pre micro-chip solid state days, your swap over wouldn't have been a big issue.  But it can be today.  Why take the chance?

IP Logged
mikestrikes

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Decatur, AL
Reply #3 - 05/24/09 at 09:56:18

I just wanted the look of having a canister coil mounted to the front down tube of the frame, a big Yellow wire going to the plug...

As for the connections......... LOL  I have NONE of the original wiring left... I can make it anything I want on the route'n and connection points...

Crap. I'll just stay with the little under the tank coil....

Thanks for the slap back to reality.... I need it from time to time..

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/24/09 at 21:13:49

If you just want the look, why not set up a dummy coil mounted where you want it?  Look around in an electronics supply store and you will find a lot of different connectors that can be attached to your Savage coil wire close to the plug, which would allow you to connect your dummy coil wire.  With the right looking connector, who would know it was a dummy set up?  I once built a dummy nitrous set up from junk nitrous parts, braided stainless steel sheathed hose from Home Depot, dummy wiring, and even a junk compressed air bottle, all painted and correctly labeled with factory NOX stickers.  It fooled everyone who saw it.  I doubt you'd find anyone who knew enough to suspect your coil set up, and even if they were suspicious, they would never imagine anyone would go to that effort to fool people.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #5 - 05/25/09 at 05:33:35

I think I would want to leave the coil up under the fuel tank, if for no other reason to keep it out of the rain. High voltage and rain make a poor combination.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #6 - 05/25/09 at 10:25:56

oil filled can coils aint the best idea.... they are vibration sensitive, the can rots over time, and just imagine how bad a day you'd be having if a decent sized roadstone kicked up by a tire took that downtube mounted puppy out... recipe for a long push...  it would also expose the plug wire to constant uv light degradation.... a points type coil wont give enough spark voltage, you'd need one for an electronic ignition.  the dummy idea is a good 1, it would give you the "style" you wanted, without the disadvantages....

IP Logged
mikestrikes

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Decatur, AL
Reply #7 - 05/25/09 at 17:03:58

marshall13 wrote on 05/25/09 at 10:25:56:
oil filled can coils ain't the best idea.... they are vibration sensitive, the can rots over time, and just imagine how bad a day you'd be having if a decent sized roadstone kicked up by a tire took that downtube mounted puppy out... recipe for a long push...  it would also expose the plug wire to constant uv light degradation.... a points type coil wont give enough spark voltage, you'd need one for an electronic ignition.  the dummy idea is a good 1, it would give you the "style" you wanted, without the disadvantages....

Well lets see here. Its epoxy filled for high vibration... check !
Its available in 3 ohm and works with induction & CD ignition.... check !
Road stones fly'n up and busting it and leaving me stranded ? That would be one hell of a rock dont you think, with others mounting oil coolers or just fly'n up and knocking me out.... I dont think I need to worry  Roll Eyes

Now back to whether the coil will work with the savage box, its a CDI system am I right, what kind of coil does it have now ?

An epoxy filled 3 ohm coil right, 30K or so volt output...

The Flame Thrower is a 3 ohm, 40K volt output....

Please help me out as to why the savage CDI will or will not drive this coil.

The fact that it may get taking out by a rock, rain, or UV light is like say'n an oil cooler may get hit by a meteor, or get eating by termites.

IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #8 - 05/25/09 at 17:19:33

mikestrikes wrote on 05/25/09 at 17:03:58:
marshall13 wrote on 05/25/09 at 10:25:56:
oil filled can coils ain't the best idea.... they are vibration sensitive, the can rots over time, and just imagine how bad a day you'd be having if a decent sized roadstone kicked up by a tire took that downtube mounted puppy out... recipe for a long push...  it would also expose the plug wire to constant uv light degradation.... a points type coil wont give enough spark voltage, you'd need one for an electronic ignition.  the dummy idea is a good 1, it would give you the "style" you wanted, without the disadvantages....

Well lets see here. Its epoxy filled for high vibration... check !
Its available in 3 ohm and works with induction & CD ignition.... check !
Road stones fly'n up and busting it and leaving me stranded ? That would be one hell of a rock dont you think, with others mounting oil coolers or just fly'n up and knocking me out.... I dont think I need to worry  Roll Eyes

Now back to whether the coil will work with the savage box, its a CDI system am I right, what kind of coil does it have now ?

An epoxy filled 3 ohm coil right, 30K or so volt output...

The Flame Thrower is a 3 ohm, 40K volt output....

Please help me out as to why the savage CDI will or will not drive this coil.

The fact that it may get taking out by a rock, rain, or UV light is like say'n an oil cooler may get hit by a meteor, or get eating by termites.

stock coil is battery excited induction, not CDI... as to roadstones, having been clipped by a 1/2 inch piece of gravel thrown by a truck tire at 60, i can assure you it's not in the same catagory of probability as a meteor hitting your oilcooler... caught me in the teeth, and felt like i got hit by a bat.... coolers and radiators dont have caps made of dielectric plastics, that once cracked tend to arc kind of badly... epoxy filled is cool, im just not a big fan of can coils... it's your ride, and far be it from me to tell you "you cant do it"... it just seems to me the folks that manufacture bikes seem to hide them in spots where all the potential pitfalls mentioned by me and others are addressed.... exposed coils tend to be seen on bikes that ride trailers and truck-beds, rather than get ridden.....

IP Logged
mikestrikes

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Decatur, AL
Reply #9 - 05/25/09 at 17:34:10

Quote:
The potential pitfalls mentioned by me and others are addressed.... exposed coils tend to be seen on bikes that ride trailers and truck-beds, rather than get ridden.....

So now you know what type of bikes I ride and what they are used for ?
I cant get any intelligent help from you thats for sure so please stay out of my thread. This coil is able to run with an inductive and CD type ignitions.......... read all of my post before you speak would ya !

IP Logged
alzie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 05/25/09 at 17:40:43

I once had a little old 74 GT185.
I mounted 2 of the cans to the down tube.
It was impressive, especially when
i d pull one of the wires to let the sparks fly!

Just match the DC resistance of the new coil to the OEM one
by adding a little resistance to it.
Its excess current that kills the igniter.
Car coils - 5A - 2.5 ohms.
Bike coils - 3A - 4.0 ohms.
Add 1.5 ohms of power resistor
(Its gotta handle the amps)
in series with the can.

Alzie

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 05/25/09 at 18:30:30

As I said earlier, I ruined 2 aftermarket Crane XR70 high energy ignition system black boxes because I used an Accel Super Coil.  When I called the Crane engineering department, they told me that the Accel Super coil was "too much" for their system.  When I asked them what do they mean by "too much", I was told it had to do with the "saturation rate" of the coil.  I didn't bother to press them further and bought the lesser Accel coil.  It worked fine for years.  Both coils had the same resistance ratings.  Your idea might work efficiently and without damage to the rest of the Savage's solid state electrics, but then again maybe not.  Even if it works fine at first, it may malfunction at a later date.  In my case, both Crane 'black boxes' lasted about a month before failing.  So even if your substitute coil works at first, how can you be sure it will not ruin the Savage electrics in time? Another thing I've seen happen is that substituting components like this can result in the engine appear to be running okay, but it doesn't quite do so at high RPM, or perhaps it is not efficiently burning the gas like the original system did, or perhaps it does not start as well as it used too. Now you have to ask yourself, did my modification cause this to happen or is it something else that has started to go wrong?  Now you have a time consuming diagnosis problem.  Sometimes changing one component of an engineered system can lead to a domino effect and before long you end up redesigning the whole system to accommodate the first thing you changed.  Hot Rodders used to face this problem all the time when building cars from a variety of un-matched parts, before the days of being able to buy matched component systems out of performance catalogs.  Myself, after years of fighting this 'domino effect', I tend to avoid redesigning component systems (especially computerized or solid state systems) unless I really have too.

IP Logged
mikestrikes

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Decatur, AL
Reply #12 - 05/25/09 at 18:42:59

Thank you........ real info..

I will find out more about coils and whats diff from the motorcycle type from others and the Values of them.

But on another thing, dont we all mess with the engineered design of our bikes all the time. Should I not try and use my 38mm Kehln Ovel slide carb and home made header on a ported head I've built ? Seems I've already thrown a wrench in this motor from the start.
So I'll use the stock coil to get it up and running, then I will buy an e-bay CDI box and keep it with me and see ...

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 05/25/09 at 20:53:05

Yes we do change the engineering on our bikes all the time for a variety of reasons...I put a cone filter on mine even though it will let in more dirt, just because I like to hear the noise.  But carbs and other mechanical change overs are a lot simpler than a complex solid state micro chip wonder, with sensitive and balanced  electrical values.  Just look at what happened to me...2 blown solid state management boxes just because I used a correct resistance coil that had other incompatible electrical values, and yet is widely marketed as compatible with any 'can' coil engine.

IP Logged
mikestrikes

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Decatur, AL
Reply #14 - 05/26/09 at 08:50:25

OK I looked up info on CDI and coils............ its the amount of current a coil takes to "fillup" that may or may not kill the Mosfits in the CDI box.
I gots more to read today............. good learning's I say.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 04:16:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Different Ignition Coil

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.