Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Brother in need... (Read 242 times)
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Brother in need...
05/23/09 at 08:15:15

One of our brothers is in need of our urgent help.  I just spoke with Guy (Serenety3743) who is currently in Alabama visiting family.  He's about an hour south of me.  He rode his bike from his home in North Carolina.  He had some misfortune and now needs a new front end.   A harley shop tried repairing the fork tubes but no luck.  I'm trying to help him out.  There's an awesome bike salvage place near me that likely has a replacement front end, LS650 or otherwise.  

Now, for your help- I've read that there are other front ends that will fit the LS650.  What other model front ends will fit the LS650?

I've got til 3pm today to secure a front end for Guy so I need this info ASAP.  3pm is when the bike salvage place closes.  Then everything will be closed for an extra day due to the holiday.  

Thanks.

DJ

IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: EMERGENCY- PLEASE READ
Reply #1 - 05/23/09 at 08:48:59

this was posted in another thread...

Re: question bout getting new forks
Reply #3 - Today at 05:44:39     I got em from a 1985 KX500. Need the whole stem, triples, the wheel brake ...
Junkyards have them and they wont run you more than couple 100. They are larger dia, have less offset and are a decent (9-12 in) longer for an added 10 degrees of rake. They have 21 inch aluminum laced rim in a 90 width. They will also interchange with KX 250 and 125 parts in that similar vintage. Best of all, over other dirt bike front ends these will take savage risers and 1 inch drag bar. Yea cables and wires fit too.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Re: EMERGENCY- PLEASE READ
Reply #2 - 05/23/09 at 08:53:58

Thanks JB.  Looks like the bike salvage has a set for an LS650 after all.  Just gotta get them to Guy.

IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Re: Brother in need...
Reply #3 - 05/23/09 at 08:59:05

I hope he is alright. I'm so glad to see people helping each other out, it is actually kind of inspiring in this day.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #4 - 05/23/09 at 09:13:01

Guy said he's fine.  Just bent the fork tubes a little.  Sounds like more damage was done trying to straighten them at the HD shop.  But if he can't get a hold of some today then it's a long wait.  Around here most bike places are closed on Monday.  With Memorial Day being this Monday, then Tuesday becomes the bike shop's Monday.  So Wednesday is likely the soonest to places will be open after today.  

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #5 - 05/23/09 at 09:31:16

Update- going to the salvage yard to check out and pick up fork tubes.  Looks like Guy is gonna swing by the house tomorrow to pick up the tubes.

IP Logged
Seth C.

Tucson, AZ
Reply #6 - 05/23/09 at 09:56:27

Nice, good on ya Jim.

2001 Suzuki Savage LS650
WWW   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #7 - 05/23/09 at 12:51:09

Guy, here are your new used forks.  One has a faded decal on it as you can see.  (FYI to others- Guy can't long on where he's at so he's on here as a guest).

Structurally they are in good condition.  The dust seals are cracked in a few places which is expected.  Should be a direct swap, though.  The seals are most likely good.   No sign of leaking but I figure they haven't been riden on for a while.  I inspected closely and wiped them down a little to get the thin layer of grime off the bottom sections.  If the seals leak, the ride home might be a little bouncy but they'll get you home.  The people at the Midway Cycle Salvage in Madison, AL were pretty cool so a plug here for them.  

Meet you at exit 310 about 1pm tomorrow.  

(I was editing this while yonuh was posting)

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #8 - 05/23/09 at 12:53:27

Unless they were cleaned up, it looks like the seals are intact as well. How much did they set ya back? (Still looking for parts to build the 87 frame for my daughter.)

And very cool on ya Jim to help out a fellow biker.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #9 - 05/24/09 at 14:10:24

Update- hooked up with Guy earlier today and he got his forks.  He came to the house and we had a chance to chat for a little while.  Very cool guy.  He lives fairly close to Toymaker and said he's donating his head/head cover to Oldfeller and Toymaker to let them experiment and see if they can figure out a way to repair worn cam journals.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 05/24/09 at 14:29:47

What comes around, goes around.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #11 - 05/24/09 at 14:38:54

Yep.  When I break down in Deals Gap maybe he can help me out!

IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #12 - 05/26/09 at 09:07:30

Hey, "guys," I'm back at my computer and catching up on DJ's thread.  I'm doing fine, just a little contusion/bruise on my right eyelid, a scratch on my nose, and one on the corner of my eye.  I think I hit the upper windshield when my bike came to a sudden stop against the rear bumper of a Ford Aerostar.  Only damage to the van was a tire mark on the bumper.  I was telling DJ that that 1.5 seconds of slight inattention cost me about $350 in real cash, plus aggravation, plus DJ's time and hassle.  But he is a friend indeed as the saying goes.  I plan to pay it forward.........Guy

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #13 - 05/26/09 at 11:43:04

Well I'm glad that you are o.k for the most part. Thanks for reporting in!!

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #14 - 05/26/09 at 13:37:15

Here's some good information to have:  The backwoods Harley shop where "Kenny" said he could straighten my bent forks, well he found out that Suzuki forks are a lot softer than Harley forks.  When he put them in a hydraulic press, they dimpled before they straightened.  This of course closed the inside diameter of the fork tube so that the spring would not insert past the dimple.  Kenny forced the springs inside but they wouldn't go far enough in to accommodate the top tubes (inside the upper fork).  Also, the tubes weren't really straight after all, because I could not get the lower tubes to line up correctly for the axle threads to catch.  So it's a good thing DJ was able to find those salvage forks!!!...........Guy

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 06:28:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Brother in need...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.