Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
new to s40 (Read 282 times)
mikeo
YaBB Newbies

Tennessee
new to s40
05/22/09 at 09:23:34

Hey guys, first post here. I am looking at an '05 S40. Tell me why I should buy it. I love the looks of the single cylinder. I like bikes in general, am not brand loyal. I am considering buying it just because I like it. Again, tell me why I should buy it. Thanks.

savage virgin
  IP Logged
PTRider

Re: new to s40
Reply #1 - 05/22/09 at 09:29:24

Very high smiles per gallon.

Low cost to buy, operate, repair, insure.

Fun ride in town and shorter trips.  Not the best choice for a cross country cruise.

IP Logged
JeremySW
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/22/09 at 09:51:49

I'm new to them as well, so take me with a grain of salt - but I'll tell you what has attracted me to them.

-Simplicity. Engine & chasis -They are about as basic a motorcycle you can buy and still have a little ''balls''. There Isn't a ton of extra crap on them so they make a pretty good base if you want to ''cut your teeth'' customizing(bobbing, chopping, etc) The styling is nice and simple so it makes a good canvas in my opinion.

- Price/Value. They aren't super pricey bikes to begin with, so great deals can be had. It also seems that the aftermarket parts are ''cheap'' compared to other bikes.

- Wealth of knowledge. After finding this site I feel pretty confident that people on here could help me with almost anything I'd need to do.

Honestly if I had the money - I would be buying a Harley Sportster(Iron, or just black 883). My brother-in-law has one and I love it. But I think the s40 is a great value and probably more appropriate for a starter bike.

IP Logged
AngloSaxon

I'd rather have one
big one than four
small ones.

Framingham MA
Reply #3 - 05/22/09 at 10:46:54

Ditto on the other two comments. Cost and ease of maintaining and pretty reliable.

As yet, a Bog Standard '87 with a big arse Harley muffler.
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #4 - 05/22/09 at 10:56:28

mikeo wrote on 05/22/09 at 09:23:34:
I am looking at an '05 S40... Tell me why I should buy it... I am considering buying it just because I like it...

You already stated the best reason to buy it. Because you like it.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #5 - 05/22/09 at 13:48:18

Price, reliability, lots of power for its weight, great support at this site, easy & inexpensive to repair. It's also easy on gas. I like Harleys too, but why spend money you don't need to. This bike is fun to ride, and will do what you ask of it. Go to a Harley Dealer and compare parts prices and the S40 looks even better.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
DavetheDog
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Richmond, VA
Reply #6 - 05/22/09 at 13:54:53

JeremySW wrote on 05/22/09 at 09:51:49:
Honestly if I had the money - I would be buying a Harley Sportster(Iron, or just black 883). My brother-in-law has one and I love it. But I think the s40 is a great value and probably more appropriate for a starter bike.

I was up in VA visiting family over the past weekend and had the pleasure of taking my Bro's 883 out for a nice ride through some twisties in the country. I gotta tell you, I felt like my Savage has more torque and overall a more comfortable ride than that 883. My back was killin' me after about 30 minutes. Of course he looked nice and comfy on that Dyna Super Glyde. Anyways, I love my Savage!

IP Logged
Pabst 2006

Thump Thump KERPOW!

Rochester, NY
Reply #7 - 05/22/09 at 15:03:54

That single cylinder means it's lightweight for easy maneuvering and control at low speeds.  It means you'll get great fuel economy.  This bike has lots of usable torque whether you're scooting around town or cranking the throttle on the highway.  Low-maintenance belt drive and low cost to buy and insure.  Great looks, unique characteristics.

2008 S40 - Red
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #8 - 05/22/09 at 16:55:36

everybody and his brother rides a v twin, dare to be different

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #9 - 05/22/09 at 17:05:28

Cost....  maintainence is easy so that saves money,  Least stolen bike in America and one of the top three least crashed, so insurance is cheap,  Bike has been almost unchanged for 23 years so used relacement parts are easily had.

Light weight , ... means, at approx 30  HP, it has a horsepower to weight ratio that will make you smile.  Means in the twisties it will walk away from the stock bigger Harleys (But not a Dyna Wide Glide or Sporster 1200.... those are the hotties).  It is not a sport bike so you won't keep up with them.

Bike has been almost unchanged for 23 years....... think about that.....  You can count on your hands (without resorting to using your toes) the number of bikes that are as long in production unchanged.   Yea, there are some flaws, but ....23 years..... the flaws aren't that bad...... Suzuki would have discontinued it if they were.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 05/22/09 at 23:51:18

Hey, I've been ridin' a '96 for the past 2 years and had my 1st on the road failure.  I pretty much know what failed, clutch cam.  Kinda rare but has been discussed a few times so I know what the symptoms are and the fix is easy.  All that just from readin' every thing going on here.  BTW rode it home.

WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #11 - 05/23/09 at 03:14:25

You would be hard pressed to find a better all around bike for the $$.  There are other good bikes out there for sure, but not at this price.
I had a sportster last year and it was a very nice running bike but I found that I did not like the added weight ... nearly 2x as much ... and with no power advantage and a distinct handling disadvantage.  I much prefer the lighter weight and power characteristics of the single.
Everybody has their preferences; colors, shapes, sizes, looks, power, the FEEL OF THE BIKE, etc, just depends on what you want.
Every bike has + & -

The road rockets are faster than you really want to go, and 98% of the time how fast do you really drive when going from here to there ?  Do you really want to be hunched over all the time like that ?
The V-twin road cruisers start at nearly twice the weight of a Savage/S40 and are comfortable to go down the highway in a straight line but what about the fun of a mountain road ?  They cannot turn very tight without scraping metal-to-road and it is not easy trying to swing all that weight back and forth.

So reall be honest with yourself and think about the riding you will be doing that 98% of the time you are out on the bike.  Going to work ?  errands ?  just for fun ride ?  what are the roads like where you will ride ?  speed limits ?  road or weather limits ?  
When you go over all of that in your mind it will show you the TYPE of bike you need for yourself.  That should narrow it down for you to 2 or 3 bikes...or maybe just this one.

The folks who ride this bike range from "never before been on a bike"  to many of us who have been riding for  20, 30 or 40 years and have thrown a leg over just everything in the biking world, but here we are having a great time with this single.   Wink

IP Logged
mikeo
YaBB Newbies

Tennessee
Reply #12 - 05/23/09 at 13:09:39

Well, I guess I wasn't telling all of the story, I have two other bikes and I left that part out. Embarrassed I have a Honda cruiser and a BMW but I just love that single cylinder S 40. I guess I'm trying to justify in my own mind why I should buy another bike. Undecided But, like I said in my OP, I just like bikes in general.

savage virgin
  IP Logged
Seth C.

Tucson, AZ
Reply #13 - 05/23/09 at 13:20:57

My whole family rides bikes. Harley's mostly. My 01 Savage still ends up the topic of conversation. The design of the Savage is what Harley USE to be, simple, close to bare bones (or you can make it that way) and inexpensive to operate. Plus you can make it quite a looker. I'll put it this way. When I pull up in a group of riders most people are looking at my Savage, not the 20 Sportsters around me. Smiley

2001 Suzuki Savage LS650
WWW   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #14 - 05/23/09 at 18:54:56

Plus, it's the funnest, cheapest and easiest bike to mod.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:23:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › new to s40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.