Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
painting the exhaust system (Read 301 times)
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Re: painting the exhaust system
Reply #15 - 05/29/09 at 09:00:41

PipJones wrote on 05/29/09 at 06:51:59:
Would painting the exhaust from the Header back cause any problems? I know you guys have painted the tail ends, but could you paint directly from the exhaust port from the engine?

paint and powdercoat have a real aversion to sticking to chrome... a proper chrome based primer can help for a car bumper, but they cant take high-temps... to paint the headpipe and have it last more than a week, you'd be best served by either fabbing a new headpipe(carbon or stainless 1 1/2 inch exhaust tubing), or take the orig headpipe to a plating shop and have the chrome "de-plated"

IP Logged
PipJones

Fort Worth, Tx
Reply #16 - 05/29/09 at 09:43:17

hrm... any ideas how much that would cost?

Gargle, sputter, burp and die!!! The ways of my LS650!!!!!
  IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #17 - 05/29/09 at 10:00:44

de-plating is usually very cheap... in the area of 10 bucks a square foot... a muffler shop with a computerized bender could fab up a carbon headpipe on the cheap too(bring the old one as a template).. check the phone book, call a couple local shops, and ask for a "rough guesstimate".... just bear in mind, if one shop quotes much less than the others, you probably wont get as quality a job from them...

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 05/29/09 at 10:18:38

marshall13 wrote on 05/29/09 at 10:00:44:
de-plating is usually very cheap... in the area of 10 bucks a square foot... a muffler shop with a computerized bender could fab up a carbon headpipe on the cheap too(bring the old one as a template).. check the phone book, call a couple local shops, and ask for a "rough guesstimate".... just bear in mind, if one shop quotes much less than the others, you probably wont get as quality a job from them...

Paint job on the muffler done. I painted it with an enamel-ceramic hitemp header paint. VHT brand I believe it is. I scuffed up the nasty muffler quite well and painted last night. I went ahead and did the heat sheild by the rear brake and my cylinder head covers. I am going to cure them in the oven when I get home from work this afternoon. I wrapped the exhaust system too,

IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #19 - 05/29/09 at 10:26:21

odvelasc wrote on 05/29/09 at 10:18:38:

Paint job on the muffler done. I painted it with an enamel-ceramic hitemp header paint. VHT brand I believe it is. I scuffed up the nasty muffler quite well and painted last night. I went ahead and did the heat sheild by the rear brake and my cylinder head covers. I am going to cure them in the oven when I get home from work this afternoon. I wrapped the exhaust system too,

let us know how the ceramic stuff holds up on the chrome... i dont think ive ever seen it used on chrome... hopefully it's the "miracle paint" that will allow a decent hi-temp job on chrome... you'd think with the current flat black craze, a coating company would have addressed the issue...

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 05/29/09 at 13:51:47

marshall13 wrote on 05/29/09 at 10:26:21:
odvelasc wrote on 05/29/09 at 10:18:38:

let us know how the ceramic stuff holds up on the chrome... i dont think ive ever seen it used on chrome... hopefully it's the "miracle paint" that will allow a decent hi-temp job on chrome... you'd think with the current flat black craze, a coating company would have addressed the issue...

Well  I have seen a few cylinder heads painted but I dont know how well they held up. I believe that Demin's bobber had his cylinder heads painted in that purple flake. My after market muffler is definitely not chrome.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 03:31:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › painting the exhaust system

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.