Send Topic Print
Troobleshooting help... (Read 70 times)
Christian O Reilly
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Troobleshooting help...
05/21/09 at 18:19:06

I have some difficulty with my savage and I would like to know if some of you have an idea where I should look to pin point the origin of the problem. I'll give as much information on the problem as I can. Here it goes:

Near the end of the last summer I was ridding not far from my home when the engine start to slow down... I add more throttles to keep it from dying... and more... and more... and it die on me a while latter anyway. I notice gas leaking from the carburetor... I supposed I drawn it...

After that, the bike would not start. I was told to clean the carburetor bowl. So I did, without improvement. Next, I changed the spark plug with an immediate success. The bike would start but I felt it was not the real problem because it tended to die at idle... and soon after I start to have problem starting it again. I removed the battery; adjust the liquid level in it. Put it back. At that time, it was time to store it for winter.

When I started it, this spring, the bike would not start at first but once boosted, it started and work well enough for a 3h trip. However, a little after it refused again to start and at same time it seemed to have electrical difficulties. I suspected a low battery. It was actually low (12.2V) but high enough to crank the starter. I recharged it anyway but it did not help. I took a look at the spark plug again, and after that, it started again but had difficulty not to die at idle. I rode it around the block about 5 minutes before it died again. After that, it stated, as long as the engine was hot but once cold it would not start again. With the choke off, I succeeded to start if for a few bop bop bop before it died again... I plan on recharging again my battery and checking the cells gravity. I’m not sure it holds correctly its charge... I also though about getting a hotter spark plug...

I start to be a little clueless... I thought, maybe it could be due to a low compression. It looks to me it would make sense since it seems to leak a little oil from the middle of the cylinder. However, I’m not sure how to deal with it. I can’t afford opening the engine since I have no garage. At this point, I would only like to get this bike running safely enough to bring it to a garage for a complete check up...

Any suggestions?

Christian
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Troobleshooting help...
Reply #1 - 05/21/09 at 19:10:56

You had the plug out, what did it look like?

To me, sounds like you're running way rich.
Did you adjust anything prior to the trouble starting?
You had the bowl off, did you check to make sure everything was tight?
Kinda sounds like a loose jet.

Also could be a mighty dirty carb, drain gas outta carb and refill with seaform.

WWW   IP Logged
Christian O Reilly
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/21/09 at 19:35:54

The spark plug has a dark residue on it but had not other trace of wear. I have no experience but it did look to me way darker than the “light tan or grey deposite” that is said to be normal in the Clymer...

I did not take a big look too see if everything was tight in carburetor. Being new at mechanics, I preferred to avoid playing a lot with the carburetor at that time... I’ll try the sea foam and if it does not help, I’ll take a new, more thorough, look inside it.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Christian
  IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/21/09 at 20:20:37

I had a similar problem and it turns out I was running rich. Very same problem. It would not turn on and when it did it would die as well. Have you accidently flooded your engine by leaving on PRI when off? Black and sooty sparkplug means you are way too rich. Might be time to rejet to a lower main jet. Maybe adjust your air mixture screw outwards to lean out your idle. Also try turning in your idle screw in order to increase your idle speed and keep your bike on.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 05/21/09 at 20:32:47

If you left it on PRIme & flooded it, the needle/seat that closes the flow off into the bowl may need some fresh parts, like the needle for instance. It can get a groove in it where it meets the seat. If the float is set wrong, it wont put enough pressure on it to close off all the way. IF youve had this happen, the oil needs changed. Right away.
If the battery runs down while you are riding, either the battery or charge circuit is bad. Not sure you said it did, but I thought I saw some signs of it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 05/22/09 at 00:52:17

Betcha' a nickel, there's gas in your vacuum line....
That's the line that goes from the right side of the carb, up to the back of the petcock, usually covered with a chrome spring..  There should be zero gas in there,... not a drop.  If there is gas in there, that's the problem.  
Rebuild, replace, or switch the petcock to a Yamaha 660 Raptor petcock..

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:23:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Troobleshooting help...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.