Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
exhaust pipe plugs (Read 150 times)
texsam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

exhaust pipe plugs
05/20/09 at 20:21:17

hi there i'm trying to make my bike a little louder so cars can hear me on the highway, i really do not want to do to much jetting.i know they used to sell a plug that you just stuck in your exhaust pipe and you can just leave muffler off.does anyone know a site (or if they make em still) where you can buy these also does any one if by doing that would i have to rejet, i would think not if i get that keeps the same backpressure and airflow i'm just tired of people merging without even nnoticing me causing some scary freeway moments

IP Logged
DavetheDog
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Richmond, VA
Re: exhaust pipe plugs
Reply #1 - 05/21/09 at 06:02:19

I'm not sure about the plugs but I make it a point to ALWAYS be within site of the drivers around me. Always in the rear view or side view and never in the blind view. Always be seen.

IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #2 - 05/21/09 at 11:08:28

Quote:
Always be seen.

Yes, but...just because they're looking at us doesn't mean that they're seeing us.  Drivers have been known to make eye contact and still pull out in front.  Always plan for the unexpected.  Have an escape route or a place to swerve out of trouble or be ready to panic brake when the driver does something stupid.  Of course, it is impossible to swerve and brake and stay rubber-side-down.

I think that too-loud pipes confuse or piss off drivers.  High visibility (extra lighting, hi-viz apparel) plus being ready for problems (and wearing protective gear) seems the safest system to me.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 05/21/09 at 12:08:51

The only way to gauranty being seen is to mount a maw-duece on the handlebars.  Equally noticable is a "potato digger", and you'll get a laugh out of the NRA crowd.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage Eddie

Custom Bob's ROCK!

40 miles west of Chicago
Reply #4 - 05/21/09 at 21:50:52

i thought i would mount a couple M-134D Gatling guns on mine and wire them into the Kill switch  Grin

IP Logged
Pabst 2006

Thump Thump KERPOW!

Rochester, NY
Reply #5 - 05/24/09 at 17:27:22

In terms of a fix that improves the sound level, there was a thread from Sandy Koocanusa (sp?), I think he had an '88 muffler that he removed the baffles and fiberglass and reinstalled the back cover plate to it, sounded like an easy fix and put out lots more sound to it.
You'd have to search for the post... I just read it not too long ago.

In terms of being seen, I'd definitely have to say the typical "black leathers and skid lid" outfit aren't going to improve visibility much.  Back when the cage was my daily driver, I only noticed them on the road right when they got real close... can't say all cagers are oblivious but I agree when it's said that cagers look for familiar shapes on the road - other cagers.  Other shapes (AKA motorcycles) get filtered out.  Scary...

2008 S40 - Red
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #6 - 05/24/09 at 19:23:31

Tell me - when you were a kid, did your mother ever say "Look out for motorcycles"? I'll bet she said "Look out for cars." You have been trained for a long time to look for cars, but probably only after you started riding motorcycles did you ever give them a thought. Same with all the other car and truck drivers out there. Your only hope is to avoid them. And loud pipes are unlikely to make much difference.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 20:21:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › exhaust pipe plugs

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.