Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Carb-Jet Question (Read 149 times)
CPLgrr-USMC

First Bike Love

Camp Pendleton, CA
Carb-Jet Question
05/19/09 at 19:26:45

I have the stock Mikuni on my '96 Savage. I bought the bike used and I'm just assuming that the last owner didn't rejet or anything. But when I bought the bike the idle mix plug was already drilled and pulled out. I'm adding a K&N this weekend and already have a better exhaust. I'm about 3 turns out now and could actually go for another turn out, but I won't. So, I pulled out the carb today along with the battery and airbox. I pulled out the jets and was looking for some info on what size they are. Nothing, the only markings the main jet had was like a square with another square in it. And that's it. Does anybody know if this is the stock main jet or? Because I'm clueless as to finding out. Thanks
CPL Grr,
USMC

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Carb-Jet Question
Reply #1 - 05/19/09 at 20:06:00

The stock main jet has a round head with a straight slot for a screw driver.  There are supposed to be numbers after the little square you saw but could with age have worn down.  Did you try looking at them under a magnifying glass ? I have to use it all the time.
The pilot jet has the little square & numbers on the side under the threads as you hold it thread end up.
With your pilot screw 3 turns out and it acting like it wants more then it sounds like you are ready to to up 1 size on the pilot jet.
Are you clear on the basic routine of jetting and tuning each of the 3 primary fuel circuits ?  
-Low throttle range (idle to 1/4 throttle) pilot jet circuit
-Mid throttle range (1/4- 3/4 throttle) needle jet and jet needle...basically the white spacer on the needle
-Hight throttle range (3/4-wide open throttle) main jet

IP Logged
CPLgrr-USMC

First Bike Love

Camp Pendleton, CA
Reply #2 - 05/19/09 at 20:15:17

Yes, I understand the fuel circuits. I've been researching this carb for a while now. Thanks for the info, I'll get workin on that in the morning. My next problem is that I stripped one of the screws to get to the white spacer and needle. I felt like such an idiot. And now I don't know how to get that guy out. He's deep in there. And as luck would have it my screw extractor broke the last time I tried to use it.

IP Logged
seviersavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Smoky Mountains Tennessee
Reply #3 - 05/19/09 at 20:20:26

I ended up having to drill the screw head and use an easy out. Needed an extension with a dremel tool to reach it.
Seviersavage

IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #4 - 05/19/09 at 21:07:35

CPLgrr-USMC wrote on 05/19/09 at 20:15:17:
Yes, I understand the fuel circuits. I've been researching this carb for a while now. Thanks for the info, I'll get workin on that in the morning. My next problem is that I stripped one of the screws to get to the white spacer and needle. I felt like such an idiot. And now I don't know how to get that guy out. He's deep in there. And as luck would have it my screw extractor broke the last time I tried to use it.

small needlenose vice grips(you'll only get about 10 degrees of turn, so make sure you set them right), after you put the tip of a soldering gun to the screw for a minute or so... toasty warm, and the aluminum casting will expand more than the screw...

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #5 - 05/20/09 at 06:21:03

CPLgrr-USMC wrote on 05/19/09 at 19:26:45:
....the only markings the main jet had was like a square with another square in it......

That's the mikuni jet mark so at least it's not a junk aftermarket jet,  stock or not there is no way to tell without the number - sometimes the stamping is very light in the brass - might need to polish it a little and get a mag glass - it's there. A clue might be if the brass plug was still in place over the mixture screw if it is odds are good the carb hasn't been touched - and toss the carb body screws as far as you can - pick up some stainless allen heads.

IP Logged
Fubar
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ohio
Reply #6 - 05/20/09 at 06:27:10

The factory main jet is a 145 and mine had the number on top when I pulled it. My savage is an 03 thou and that might be why mine was numbered. Hope that help. Smiley

IP Logged
CPLgrr-USMC

First Bike Love

Camp Pendleton, CA
Reply #7 - 05/20/09 at 19:09:58

Got it, the guy at the cycle shop used a mikuni tool and was able to tell me that it was a 145.

IP Logged
haulback
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vancouver, British Columbia, C
Reply #8 - 05/22/09 at 06:08:40

Good point.... anyone know offhand what size the fasteners are for the float bowl, so a guy could pick up replacements beforehand???

Or, if you get a set of JIS screwdrivers, (I assume they are used elsewhere on the bike) is it neccesary to replace them..that is, is the reason people get so p-o'ed at them because they don't have correct drivers??

IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #9 - 05/22/09 at 06:53:59

The two screws next to the battery case are tough to get a straight shot at.  It's the angle of the screwdriver that strips out the heads.  A socket head capscrew and ball-end hex key (Allen wrench) makes the job easier.  Or, just use a #2 Phillips driver bit with a wrench on the hex.  That gets close to the battery case OK.  Screw size?...4mm dia. x 16mm long???, plus lockwashers.  It's easy to take out of of the accesible screws (left front) and measure it.

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 05/22/09 at 08:45:56

Float bowl: Metric 5 x 16 long, not 4!! Swap stock ones with stainless allen screws, much easier to work. Same for the top carb cover. Metric 5 x 10 long. Swap them all with allen heads. Same goes for all other phillips and flat head screws. Use allens.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 08:31:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb-Jet Question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.