Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Replacement seat for 2000 Savage (Read 204 times)
Savage865
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

East TN
Replacement seat for 2000 Savage
05/19/09 at 11:27:41

Hi everyone!  

I purchased a used (9K miles) 2000 Savage last October.  Been riding the snot out of it, incl. 3 trips thru the dragon last month (up to 11K miles now).  Love the bike and the great information here on the forum.

The forums here have been great!  Been lurking since I bought the bike.  

I was able to change the oil & filter using the procedures and encouraging advice documented on this site.

I'm thinking about doing the cam chain adjuster mod from verslavy, and the forward controls mod also.

But(t) for now... the seat on the bike has seen better days.. and I'm looking for a replacement.  So... (keeping in mind that I'm 5'11'' and over 200lbs)...

Will a new (newer than 2000) stock seat fit a 2000 model?
If so, are the newer stock seats more comfortable than the 2000 stock seat?

Or.. are there other aftermarket seats that fit the 2000, and as a bonus would be more comfortable?

Or.. am I stuck rebuilding/modifying the seat using the existing seat pan.. as has been documented here?

Any and all comments and answers are appreciated.

Thanks again for this forum.  Happy to be here for what I hope will be a long time!

Thanks again everyone for your advise and opinions.

IP Logged
Duane

Creatively
Maladjusted

Terra Plane
Re: Replacement seat for 2000 Savage
Reply #1 - 05/19/09 at 11:35:21

From what I have seen you would be better to mod your old one, but some other might have more info.

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. JFK

WWW duanedaringer   IP Logged
sakara
2005 No Login

Thumpalicious

Lockport, NY
Reply #2 - 05/19/09 at 12:58:17

Don't forget the 20min seat lift mod. It just changes the position / pressure on your tailbone and makes for a more comfy ride regardless of the seat's composition in most cases.

Alliance Member

'86 Thumper bobber rat project.
sakara   IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/19/09 at 18:05:28

Savage865 wrote on 05/19/09 at 11:27:41:
Hi everyone!  

I purchased a used (9K miles) 2000 Savage last October.  Been riding the snot out of it, incl. 3 trips thru the dragon last month (up to 11K miles now).  Love the bike and the great information here on the forum.

The forums here have been great!  Been lurking since I bought the bike.  

I was able to change the oil & filter using the procedures and encouraging advice documented on this site.

I'm thinking about doing the cam chain adjuster mod from verslavy, and the forward controls mod also.

But(t) for now... the seat on the bike has seen better days.. and I'm looking for a replacement.  So... (keeping in mind that I'm 5'11'' and over 200lbs)...

Will a new (newer than 2000) stock seat fit a 2000 model?
If so, are the newer stock seats more comfortable than the 2000 stock seat?

Or.. are there other aftermarket seats that fit the 2000, and as a bonus would be more comfortable?

Or.. am I stuck rebuilding/modifying the seat using the existing seat pan.. as has been documented here?

Any and all comments and answers are appreciated.

Thanks again for this forum.  Happy to be here for what I hope will be a long time!

Thanks again everyone for your advise and opinions.

Using washers, electrical tape and 2inch bolds you can raise the front of the seat quite a bit to not slide forward. I put bicycle get pads in my seat in order to help with vibration a bit works alright. I am using an '05 S40 seat on my '02 Savage. Some have Magivered the sportster seat unto their bikes. Someone here just paid about 500$ for a custom seat using their old seat pan. A lot of options my friend.  Look on the forum market place for good, cheap, used seats.

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #4 - 05/19/09 at 18:48:26

I can't remember if the 2000 is the one piece or the two piece.  I have an '87 (two piece, bread loaf-shaped piece of junk.)  My wife rides a 2005 (one piece, slightly flatter.)  I am no more comfortable on hers than I was on mine before I rebuilt it to fit my own hiney.

Having ridden both, I would say you will be money ahead to look for something else or reshape the one you have.  

I'm around 6'2" and 190, and didn't find that raising the front of the seat helped a whole lot.  I left it raised, but it took a more aggressive modification to suit me.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #5 - 05/19/09 at 20:26:21

Mod your original pan. I swear by Diamond Jims seat mod. Best single thing I ever did. Regardless of what you do, if you don't like it, you can always start the hunt for a new seat later. You imagination is the only limit.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #6 - 05/19/09 at 21:00:55

odvelasc wrote on 05/19/09 at 18:05:28:
Someone here just paid about 500$ for a custom seat using their old seat pan.

To quote Jesse Jackson, "I am someone!"

It's worth it to me.

1  Rick Mayer is a genius with foam and leather.
2  I keep my bikes a long time if they are reliable.  Over the life of the bike, the per mile cost comes down.
3  Hey, someone has to do something to help the economy!  Grin

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
seviersavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Smoky Mountains Tennessee
Reply #7 - 05/20/09 at 03:27:10

I fit a sportster seat on mine, wider and more pronounced back to it. Very comfy to me. Hey where ya at in east Tn? I'm in Pigeon Forge.
Seviersavage

IP Logged
sockmonkeygirl
Serious Thumper

37 Stitches

W.Mass
Reply #8 - 05/20/09 at 11:55:55

seviersavage wrote on 05/20/09 at 03:27:10:
I fit a sportster seat on mine, wider and more pronounced back to it. Very comfy to me. Hey where ya at in east Tn? I'm in Pigeon Forge.
Seviersavage

Pigeon Forge.  heehee.  Pigeons forging sounds funny.  Onward, mighty pigeons!  Cheesy

IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #9 - 05/20/09 at 15:15:40

sockmonkeygirl wrote on 05/20/09 at 11:55:55:
seviersavage wrote on 05/20/09 at 03:27:10:
Seviersavage

Pigeon Forge.  heehee.  Pigeons forging sounds funny.  Onward, mighty pigeons!  Cheesy

Hmmm, what does it say about my feelings for pigeons that I always picture a blacksmith using pigeons as a cheap and efficient source of fuel? Shocked
Grin

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #10 - 05/22/09 at 08:47:07

Forged pigeons don't fly very well.  I'd go for the aluminum/composite ones for the improved weight and tensile strength!

Or are forged pigeons like forged art work -- they look OK to the casual viewer, but just aren't the real thing!  (That'll mess up some bird watchers' life lists!)

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
debbiej
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #11 - 05/23/09 at 11:13:50

Dr Harvey, where did you get that seat for your bike?  I need to do something for the seat on my bike because it's very uncomfortable.

thanks,

Debbie

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #12 - 05/23/09 at 13:05:41

Sandy Koocanusa wrote on 05/19/09 at 18:48:26:
I can't remember if the 2000 is the one piece or the two piece.  I have an '87 (two piece, bread loaf-shaped piece of junk.)  My wife rides a 2005 (one piece, slightly flatter.)  I am no more comfortable on hers than I was on mine before I rebuilt it to fit my own hiney.

Having ridden both, I would say you will be money ahead to look for something else or reshape the one you have.  

I'm around 6'2" and 190, and didn't find that raising the front of the seat helped a whole lot.  I left it raised, but it took a more aggressive modification to suit me.

The 2000 is a two piece Sandy, that's what I ride and the seat is one of the few things I haven't modded yet.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 04:18:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Replacement seat for 2000 Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.