Fubar
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ohio
Muffler Question
05/19/09 at 11:14:46

Hey all,

Quick question for all you wrench heads out there. I have an 03 Thumper that I just finished putting stage 2 jets in with a open air cone filter. I also replaced the muffler with a screamin eagle knock off. While I love the sound the muffler itself as turned badly in the short few days I have had it on (blue,copper,purple hue) which I am assuming is because it's a cheap muffler. My header pipe is fine with no discoloration so I don't think it's running rich. My question is could i put the factory exhaust back on or would it not run right because of the other mods?

Thanks for your help.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Muffler Question
Reply #1 - 05/19/09 at 12:59:06

Fubar wrote on 05/19/09 at 11:14:46:
Hey all,

Quick question for all you wrench heads out there. I have an 03 Thumper that I just finished putting stage 2 jets in with a open air cone filter. I also replaced the muffler with a screamin eagle knock off. While I love the sound the muffler itself as turned badly in the short few days I have had it on (blue,copper,purple hue) which I am assuming is because it's a cheap muffler. My header pipe is fine with no discoloration so I don't think it's running rich. My question is could i put the factory exhaust back on or would it not run right because of the other mods?

Thanks for your help.

The "stage 2 jets" ... specify the # of the pilot jet and # of the main jet, and also did you change the needle at all ?

IP Logged
Fubar
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ohio
Reply #2 - 05/20/09 at 05:14:57

I put in a 155 main jet and a 50 pilot jet and did the white spacer mod. The bike runs great and the only discoloration I see anywhere is at the muffler where it connects with the header pipe and it goes about 7inches back. I know I need to take the muffler off and get a more air tight connection but I didn't think that would discolor the muffler unless the heat coming off the connection is turning the muffler because it's not all escaping out the back. Any thoughts would help  Undecided

IP Logged
ArmyOIF5678
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 09/20/10 at 22:10:59

humm...

IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #4 - 09/21/10 at 04:43:46

Did you clean the new muffler really good before installing it and running the bike? I know that with Supertrapp mufflers, one must clean all the manufacturers oil off before using it or it will blue. I don't know if your pipe is the same way or not. Definitely get a better seal between your header and muffler.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #5 - 09/21/10 at 07:05:18

I am running the same setup as you and while my muffler is a Harley Screamin Eagle, I can tell you that I get some blueing too. Maybe not as much as you described but it's on right where the muffler connects to the bike frame.

There is a product you can rub on your muffler to remove the blue but the name escapes me right now.

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #6 - 09/21/10 at 07:56:12

Blue Job...good stuff but ya gotta really work on it. Personally, I'd let it go blue...when you're tired of looking at it throw on a dyna...
BTW, I wouldn't go back to stock pipe...may throw off your carb and then you'd be back to tearing into that.

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 09/21/10 at 09:42:22

I am jetted on the rich side and still have a very blue muffler, I think part of the problem is the baffle I inserted into the end of the stock headpipe, it has the can opener style slits and I have a perfect blue ring all around that portion of the muffler, I think that a dual wall baffle would keep the heat from the outer wall of the muffler.

I did do the blue job exercise and probably won't again, just let it look like I ride Bettie hard, well, I really do ride her hard, but that is the point, isn't it?

IP Logged
Superray
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Simple and
clean....no frills.

Dayton, Ohio
Reply #8 - 09/24/10 at 17:51:17

I done the spacer thing on mine and also got the Supertrapp. I started with 7 of the 8 baffles that came with it and it worked great, so I left it alone. I am thinking about painting it this winter.............

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 08:28:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Muffler Question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.