Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Rich and dies on hard accel/deccel (Read 237 times)
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rich and dies on hard accel/deccel
05/19/09 at 08:09:39

50 idle, 150 main, needle one slot up (yes, I have the one with recesses), K&N cone, open HD exhaust. Idle mix perfect, 2.5 turns out, acceleration great and smooth through entire range. The problem is that after a hard (1/2-WOT) acceleration it will not ide right for 2 seconds. Eventually dies sometimes. Really makes me nervous on stop lights.
I tested today while standing still; if I blip the throttle hard, and then quickly release it - it will rev up, than down and give out a puff of black smoke when it reaches idle speed! idle will drop to 2 beats/second, and then recover. If I hold it on WOT a bit longer - it will die when reaches idle. For some reason it gets RICH after WOT. Why? How do I fix it?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Rich and dies on hard accel/deccel
Reply #1 - 05/19/09 at 08:18:23

possibly a sticky needle jet slide?... or,... is your idle speed set too low?...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/19/09 at 09:57:05

Idle around 1300. It acts as though you poured a small shot of gas in the carb while idling. Y'know, it goes thump thump thump thump.....thump...........thummmmp............thump....thump, thump, thump. This is as technical I can get with explaining it  Cheesy

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #3 - 05/19/09 at 18:34:03

Are you sure that middle one is a thump, and not a thud?  A thud indicates a faulty ribbensnort modulator.

2 1/2 turns on the 50 idle would have gas running out of my muffler.  I'm at 3000 feet, and as it is getting warmer, I'm down to about 1 1/16 turns and tightening up every day.

I have a devil of a time with that idle jet.  47.5 is too small.  50 is too big.  I need a 48.375, I think. Smiley

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 05/19/09 at 20:18:06

Play with your pilot adjusting screw, take it back down to 1.5 turns out.  Basically, go down as low as you can before the backfiring starts up in earnest.  Reports back with what it does.
Was it working properly for you before ?  Has it started messing up just lately ?  Other changes to the engine/carb or outside stimulas affecting it some way ?

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #5 - 05/20/09 at 06:53:16

Serowbot wrote on 05/19/09 at 08:18:23:
possibly a sticky needle jet slide?... or,... is your idle speed set too low?...

I'll sure second this check - if the slide is dirty or sticky in anyway it will hang going back down and cause a very rich situation when you let off the throttle

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 05/20/09 at 07:28:49

Sandy: Ribennsnort modulator is clean. Replaced last year Smiley

LAncer: Tried pilot screw. Has no effect to the problem. It does effect the idle/backfiring, but the problem is still there. It started a little after I raised the needle one notch. But I had to raise to eliminate slight surging in midrange.

Reel/Lancer. I will check on sticky slide today. It makes sense to me.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #7 - 05/20/09 at 07:35:16

No oil on the slide - nothing - just clean and the slide bore

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/20/09 at 09:12:25

Understood. I just prepared this ABRO silicone spray, but I will try without.

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 05/20/09 at 09:14:08

ribbensnort modulator... that's a good one. Glad I replaced it.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #10 - 05/20/09 at 09:34:22

Was having a bad time with the '95 - cleaned the slide with contact spray - might need a new slide spring

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 05/20/09 at 10:03:06

I haven't done anything yet, but I remember the slide has a worn area, as though it scrapes that part regularly during movement.

How 'bout I just stick a 32/32 dual Weber carb on the darn thing and go from there?? Smiley I have one, came off of a 750cc Fiat. 32 horses stock, 40 and some with the carb. What do you all think?

Regression: I will clean the slide and post more. Thanks all for help.

IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #12 - 05/20/09 at 10:10:49

dasch wrote on 05/20/09 at 10:03:06:
I haven't done anything yet, but I remember the slide has a worn area, as though it scrapes that part regularly during movement.

How 'bout I just stick a 32/32 dual Weber carb on the darn thing and go from there?? Smiley I have one, came off of a 750cc Fiat. 32 horses stock, 40 and some with the carb. What do you all think?

Regression: I will clean the slide and post more. Thanks all for help.

if there's a scuff on the slide, that's probably your culprit... check the bore it rides in... casting flash? scratch? build up of funk? if the defect is above the surface(flash, funk, etc) you can carefully remove it(funk, seafoam and lint free rag... flash, very fine sandpaper(1200 grit or so)... if its a gouge or scratch that is below the bore surface, time for a new carb body.... is the tab on the top of the slide aligned correctly?

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 05/20/09 at 14:58:19

Mine SORT of does the same thing. With no spacer and a quick decel it would stall out especially when cold. After I added a washer it got better. Still does it on occasion but i lost my jet set from lancer and every #4 washer ive found has too large an OD so until i get a new one..... If you've moved the needle up you've leaned the midrange while the rest of your set up is richer than stock. Try lowering the needle back or changing to a 47.5 pliot.

PS - clenaing the slide is a good idea but I wouldnt worry too awful much about the worn area. Mine's a '95 and has the same thing. Works flawlessly.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #14 - 05/20/09 at 15:59:23

The black coating is sacrificial - it’s the grime that forms causes some issue – in it’s worse case a little black ring will form in the bore at the bottom of the slide travel – if you have more than 1 slot in the needle – what year is the carb?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 12:24:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rich and dies on hard accel/deccel

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.