Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Plug Cap and a couple of questions (Read 75 times)
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Plug Cap and a couple of questions
05/19/09 at 06:29:54

I have the plug cap leak, I got the plug, but as I read the threads I noticed there were some gaskets under some bolts and I may need an O-ring as well. Can I reuse the gaskets and just make sure I put them back or do I need to get some more?  Or will the red high temp silicone gasket goo be good enough?

Also, I have been looking at this kit on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUZUKI-SAVAGE-LS650-S40-polished-stainless-bol...

Does it have the bolts I need to replace the head cover or should I use the ones that come out or go to town and get new ones?

I know I need to do this fix, but it is not leaking much oil at all, the level never goes down in the glass.   But it does not take much oil at 55 mph to make a big mess! Sad  But I am content to wipe until I get all my parts ready.  I want this to be a quick and easy fix, as opposed to my bike being down for a week or so.

Thanks

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
PipJones

Fort Worth, Tx
Re: Plug Cap and a couple of questions
Reply #1 - 05/19/09 at 09:22:50

I used everything that came off the bike. What you will need is some High Temp Gasket Silicone (the black stuff) to reseal the head cover when it goes back on.

Read the instructions posted in the Tech data section, because if you don't you will be pulling the head cover back off to put some of the bolts back in place. I'd prob read them 2 or 3 times over, and "dry run" prior to sealing with the silicone and putting it all back together.

I am an auto mechanic so i had everything at my fingertips. This fix only took me about 2 hrs. for you it might be longer and you may need something i'm not thinking of.

When you're ready to go....
Good Luck, and Have Fun!!

Pip Jones

Gargle, sputter, burp and die!!! The ways of my LS650!!!!!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 05/19/09 at 10:02:38

That's a very complete set, bought a set haven't used it yet, but it has markings as the set I got the before and they were great.

The sealing washers can be reused if they are ok, or use some goop on them.

WWW   IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #3 - 05/19/09 at 10:40:04

Just be advised that, according to the Clymer manual, on some bikes the engine has to come out of the frame to remove the head cover. It would appear that the only way to find out whether your bike is one of those is to try it.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #4 - 06/25/09 at 21:52:02

verslagen1 wrote on 05/19/09 at 10:02:38:
.....The sealing washers can be reused if they are ok, or use some goop on them.

FYI....

I just bought the seven "gaskets" (sealing washers) that sit under some of the head cover bolts.  This will be the 4th time I've had the head cover off, and I couldn't remember if I'd ever replaced these washers.  They were about $1.35 each, IIRC.

Anyway, they were not the simple copper washers I remember from the past.  The new ones I just bought have rubber (neoprene?) molded into them.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 12:27:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Plug Cap and a couple of questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.