Send Topic Print
New VS. Used (Read 160 times)
JeremySW
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New VS. Used
05/18/09 at 23:35:30

Well, I'm going to the local motorsports shop tomorrow to sit on a few bikes(s40 included).

Conventional wisdom says I should probably find a lightly used s40 at a discount price. But seeing as these bikes aren't very pricey off the showroom floor - I'm debating buying new. I know the basic bike changed a whole lot since its inception though. I'm weighing the obvious pros & cons, and was curious if you guys had any input.

Pros...

-Everything is obviously fresh & unmolested.
-Warranty/stealership support
-...NEW BIKE Cool

Cons...

-Price
-Break-in period

Anything major I'm missing?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: New VS. Used
Reply #1 - 05/19/09 at 03:29:51

Jeremy,

New or used, you will still have to do certain things to the bike to get it to run right.

We did a poll on the list once asking what prompted people to get their first Savage.   Surprisingly, the main response was "It was too good of a deal to pass up".

The Savage grows on you and you can get a lot of extra $$$ value in a slightly used bike.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 05/19/09 at 04:12:55

Really, there are a lot of excellent deals on bikes with just a few thou. miles on them, some at $2500 or less.  One in my area is/was for sale for $2000 flat and only had 4500 mi.  If I had any $$ floating around I would have grabbed it in a heartbeat.  There are stilll others, like 8-10 of them, within a couple of hours drive from me that are in the $2500-2800 range, and with just 4-8k mi. and from the 2000 model or newer.

IP Logged
AngloSaxon

I'd rather have one
big one than four
small ones.

Framingham MA
Reply #3 - 05/19/09 at 07:46:30

I paid $200 for my '87. Invested in new tires $206 and new battery $50 new plug $4 new oil filter $4. The beauty of this machine is the easy maintenance. Pretty much anyone who can change their own oil can work on these bikes and all the help available on this site makes it a breeze.

As yet, a Bog Standard '87 with a big arse Harley muffler.
  IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #4 - 05/19/09 at 08:37:56

If you could find an excellent used Savage/S40 for, say, half the price of a new one, what would you do with the money?...pay off bills?  Take time off work to ride more?  Buy a custom seat?  Do something really nice for your wife/domestic partner/girlfriend/boyfriend/all-of-the-above?  Take a high performance riding course?

If you can find what you want used and in excellent condition at a very fair price---that's my choice.

IP Logged
alcoa

never let the
bastards wear you
down

Reply #5 - 05/19/09 at 09:47:47

just keep looking and when one picks you take it

most problems are caused by the loose nut that conects the handelbars to the seat
  IP Logged
TestPro

Show up, shut up,
catch up!

Florida
Reply #6 - 05/19/09 at 10:39:36

I picked up mine used with 51 miles for $2900.00 last year. It was as close to new as you can get. A lot of people give into peer pressure and use these as a starter bikes and move up, then realize what they lost after the "big bike" bills start coming in. Buy for the 90% of the intended use of the bike, not just to “hog” around once a week. Look around there are always opportunities if you are patient. If you have cash, you can make your own deal.

Cheers,

TestPro
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #7 - 05/19/09 at 11:26:06

JeremySW wrote on 05/18/09 at 23:35:30:
Well, I'm going to the local motorsports shop tomorrow to sit on a few bikes(s40 included).

Conventional wisdom says I should probably find a lightly used s40 at a discount price. But seeing as these bikes aren't very pricey off the showroom floor - I'm debating buying new. I know the basic bike changed a whole lot since its inception though. I'm weighing the obvious pros & cons, and was curious if you guys had any input.

Pros...

-Everything is obviously fresh & unmolested.
-Warranty/stealership support
-...NEW BIKE Cool

Cons...

-Price
-Break-in period

Anything major I'm missing?

Not this bike, the only real difference is in the early nineties they went from a 4 speed to a 5 speed. Any other differences are mainly cosmetic.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 05/19/09 at 11:32:28

I bought mine before I found this site. I was afraid of doing the maintenance & wanted a warranty. Had I known about this place & these people I would have bought used & saved a sack of cash to spend on gas & oil & insurance & mods & bags & windshield and tires, and and.
In short, I wish I had bought used.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Duane

Creatively
Maladjusted

Terra Plane
Reply #9 - 05/19/09 at 11:33:06

I got mine used from a dealer for under $3K. I could have got a better price from a individual seller but I fell in love on the first ride. I would vote used because your going to make some mods and they will probably affect the warranty. Plus mine came with a windshield. I wanted to add that later but it allready had it. I'm also not a fan of the new seat or drag bars on the new models. I like my sissy bar and the drag bars look cool but the bucks are so comfortable. This was my first none sport bike and I love the comfort.

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. JFK

WWW duanedaringer   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 05/19/09 at 11:55:23

This is your 1st bike, the question is... how are you going to feel if you drop a brand new bike vs. a used one?

Now I don't want you to plan on it, but more likely than not, you'll drop it.  Even if you never get it out of your driveway, there's more of a chance cause you have no experience.  Mine occured trying to avoid a car full of teenaged monkeys turning right from the left turn lane, 2nd week of riding.  Damage was so minor that it blended in with the PO's.  So aside from the limping and torn jacket, no big deal.

WWW   IP Logged
Duane

Creatively
Maladjusted

Terra Plane
Reply #11 - 05/19/09 at 12:36:47

Mine dropped in a parking lot last year. A few scratches on the  windshield and a nic in the tank. I must say it's a durable bike.

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. JFK

WWW duanedaringer   IP Logged
TheCaliKid
YaBB Newbies

Hollywood, CA
Reply #12 - 05/19/09 at 14:28:19

S40 is my first bike, and the reason I looked (& waited) to find a used one:

-the few scrapes & scratches were going to happen anyway
-if it turned out not for bike me, I could resell it without losing big $$$.

I ended up with an 07 w/2700 miles for $2700.
Now over 5k and & loving it  

Good Luck !

Cool

IP Logged
JeremySW
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 05/19/09 at 14:35:53

Sounds good. I'll definitely keep my eyes peeled for a good deal.

All the used ones I've seen haven't been considerably less expensive than buying new so I guess I was just frustrated. Unrealistic starting prices for haggling leverage I'm sure.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 05/19/09 at 17:04:35

Bikes & boats, priced higher in spring & summer. Fall & winter/ bargains.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 21:25:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New VS. Used

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.