Send Topic Print
Clutch replacement (Read 49 times)
Justinmkantor

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Monterey, CA
Clutch replacement
05/18/09 at 22:48:33

Have not been able to find really clear pics/directions on here yet but  going to try and replace clutch. Seems simple if parts are kept in order. While in there will do the verslavy cam tensioner change. Putting a Barnett clutch in with kevlar (so its bulletproof). To my knowledge the plates are thinner with this material but has been made up the difference in longer springs. Is this correct? I will have 3 hours to do both which I believe will be enough time, if I don't hit it with a hammer when I get frustrated. Any tips/tricks?

IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Re: Clutch replacement
Reply #1 - 05/18/09 at 22:58:16

i think i saw something about using a nickel to lock the gears when you pull the basket nut... pretty sure its in the tech notes area...

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 05/19/09 at 03:36:17

When you put the outer cover back on be sure to orient the little attachment point to point "up", if it points down you have to pull the whole thing off again to fix it.

Next, take the clutch apart very slowly, noting carefully the orientation and order of every wave washer and spacer ring -- they must be put back in exactly the same orientation.  This has screwed up several list members and ate up one clutch basket.   Make notes and sketches.

Lastly, save your old clutch plates.   They are not totally worn out yet.  I am contemplating a mod to the clutch rod to allow a "second life" out of the original clutch plates.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Justinmkantor

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Monterey, CA
Reply #3 - 05/19/09 at 08:07:13

Orient the attachment point of what exactly? I got the orientation of the disc and other gazilion parts but the reattachment point is . . . ? Ant ideas on the easiest way to remove the big nut from the clutch basket attachment easily?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 15:43:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clutch replacement

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.