Send Topic Print
Grumpy Savage (Read 186 times)
johnnyboy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Grumpy Savage
05/17/09 at 16:57:51

So I posted a question a while back about gas, then oil leaking from the air box of a 1986 LS650.  I was counselled that the diaphram in the petcock had most likely cracked.  I attempted to perform the mod to a non-vacuum operated petcock, however my wife found the project one day while I was at work and assumed it was trash and threw it out  :'( Meanwhile, I had drained the oil to ensure I got all the gas out of the crankcase.  So I let the whole bike sit for a while until I recently discovered that a Yamaha Grizzly petcock would fit the Savage.  So I sent away to Ron Ayers for one on the cheap, and received this week. Soooo I just installed it today, capped the vacuum port on the carb, installed an in-line fuel filter, replaced the oil, filled the empty tank with gas and a little bit of Gumout carb cleaner, and set the battery on the charger.

When it came time to start, it took a little carb starter in the air intake, but started after turning over for a few seconds.  However it seems like it is idling incredibly rough.  I rode it around the block and it ran, but would sputter every now and again when cruising, and would sputter significantly and lose power when throttling past a certain point.  It sputters the same way in neutral at a stop when running up the throttle.

Since it has been a while since this bike has been running, and the last time it did it was sucking gas into the case, I'm a little lost as to how to diagnose it's current condition.  I have overhauled the carb before, and could do it again if signs point that way, however I'm afraid the issue may be more sinister (problems with the engine).  

If anyone can help me with a guess as to where I should start looking, I'd appreciate it enormously.  Thanks very kindly.

Johnny

IP Logged
Wolf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Grumpy Savage
Reply #1 - 05/17/09 at 17:28:59

Change your old saved gas with new gas.

Wolf  Cheesy

IP Logged
johnnyboy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/17/09 at 17:35:52

There was no gas in the tank when I started today...  So it was all fresh when I started.

IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #3 - 05/17/09 at 17:47:06

crud in the carb, too small an outlet on the petcock, too restrictive a filter, float hung up, rusty plug electrode.... those should give ya a couple places to look for a start...

IP Logged
johnnyboy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/17/09 at 17:59:17

Is there any chance that the fuel line I used to replace could be too wide in diameter?  Bike Bandit and Ron Ayers show the line as 6.5mm, I used 5/16.  Seems like the difference should be minor, but could the very slightly bigger line be causing a flooding situation?

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #5 - 05/17/09 at 18:02:42

No.  5/16 is just fine, as long as it doesn't fall off the carb.  Make sure you clamp it.

That much I know.

If it is flooding, and was leaking into the case, I wonder if your float valve isn't doing it's job?  One of the carb geniuses would know better than I, but if the bowl floweth over, nothing good will come of it.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
johnnyboy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 05/17/09 at 18:25:10

Of note, there does not seem to be any gas going to the case since I switched out the petcock.

IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #7 - 05/17/09 at 18:32:09

did you empty the carb when you laid the bike up? float could be low, it wouldnt flood, and would run like crap... would be way lean, so lots of heat, pinging, etc... ill bet you have a cruddy jet... or the sparkplug... id pull the plug, clean and gap it, and see if a cure was effected... if not, open up the carb and give it a good scrub....

IP Logged
johnnyboy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/17/09 at 18:49:52

I'll try the spark plug.  From what I hear, it's a bear to get to, but hopefully it yields some results.  I've had the carb off before to degunk it, so that shouldn't be to much of a problem to try.  I'll probably do both before trying to run it again; I hate to hear her run so rough!  Thanks for the tips, all.

Johnny

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #9 - 05/17/09 at 19:39:45

Here's a report of someone that drained the fuel from the carb bowl, pulled the fuel hose from the tank, poured sea foam through the hose til it filled up the carb, let it sit overnight and then started it- running it just on sea foam.  It cleared up his carb issues.  

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/carb-adjustment/

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #10 - 05/17/09 at 20:06:08

You can just take off the fuel bowl and put Sea Foam in it and put it back on. Let run a little and let it set over night.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Savage Eddie

Custom Bob's ROCK!

40 miles west of Chicago
Reply #11 - 05/18/09 at 05:20:09

run a straight fuel line to the carb to rule out a restricting fuel filter, the line size is fine but if the bowl isnt filling fast enough and that could be a prob. you said it does the same thing in neutral, i dont think the float bowl should empty that quick but you never know.....start with the easy elimination projects first. then try the carb, then the plug (they are a bear to get out)

IP Logged
johnnyboy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 05/18/09 at 15:17:30

Ok so officially... Seafoam is the most glorious substance ever!  I was skeptical at best when folks were telling me there was a miracle substance that could be put in the case, tank, and carb.  However, 8 dollars and a can of Seafoam later, my scoot is running like a champ.  I'm curious as to any other miracles this little can may be able to perform.  Maybe it'll make my lawn grow, keep my son from talking back to me, and increase fun in the bedroom....

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #13 - 05/18/09 at 15:29:45

Sea Foam works better than any other carb cleaner I've used.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #14 - 05/18/09 at 18:29:50

johnnyboy wrote on 05/18/09 at 15:17:30:
Ok so officially... Seafoam is the most glorious substance ever!  I was skeptical at best when folks were telling me there was a miracle substance that could be put in the case, tank, and carb.  However, 8 dollars and a can of Seafoam later, my scoot is running like a champ.  I'm curious as to any other miracles this little can may be able to perform.  Maybe it'll make my lawn grow, keep my son from talking back to me, and increase fun in the bedroom....

Don't know about the grass and son talking back, but +1 on the other.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 08:49:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Grumpy Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.