Send Topic Print
brake question (Read 64 times)
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

brake question
05/16/09 at 23:46:40

Bled my brakes. The result was soft so I did it again. Got out one little bubble that I just barely missed the first time and it was all good for a couple weeks. Now Im noticing the brake softening up over time. Pumping it hard a dozen times or so gets it back to where it should be but it fades again. Suggestions? I figure Ive got an air leak somewhere. Im considering just switching to a braided steel line. If i bought it would i have to also get new fitting to the master cylinder and cailper?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: brake question
Reply #1 - 05/17/09 at 00:17:57

No, buy the same type of banjo fittings.
For each banjo there are two sealing washers, get new ones.

WWW   IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #2 - 05/17/09 at 08:09:10

Air leak?  How?  The brake system is always under pressure...gravity when not used, hydraulic pressure when you're squeezing the lever, and maybe a very slight negative pressure for a moment when you've released the lever and the return spring is pulling the master cylinder piston back.  If there was a leak, you'd see fluid leaking out when you squeeze the lever.

You have air in the system that you haven't yet removed by bleeding.  Strap the lever down and crack open the bleeder.  Let the fluid flow by gravity.  When no more bubbles come out of the bleeder, you're done.  Tighten the bleed nipple, correct the fluid level, and test it.  Be sure the fluid level in the reservoir doesn't get below the glass at any time.  You could have sucked some air in if you released the lever while the bleeder was still open???  Or let the fluid level in the reservoir get too low during bleeding???

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/17/09 at 10:45:03

went throught almost two bottles of fluid changing the fluid the second time before I finally got all the air out (i thought). I suppose i couldve missed a bubble again but i was quite thorough. Will try one more time.

IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #4 - 05/17/09 at 10:52:24

PTRider wrote on 05/17/09 at 08:09:10:
Air leak?  How?  The brake system is always under pressure...gravity when not used, hydraulic pressure when you're squeezing the lever, and maybe a very slight negative pressure for a moment when you've released the lever and the return spring is pulling the master cylinder piston back.  If there was a leak, you'd see fluid leaking out when you squeeze the lever.

You have air in the system that you haven't yet removed by bleeding.  Strap the lever down and crack open the bleeder.  Let the fluid flow by gravity.  When no more bubbles come out of the bleeder, you're done.  Tighten the bleed nipple, correct the fluid level, and test it.  Be sure the fluid level in the reservoir doesn't get below the glass at any time.  You could have sucked some air in if you released the lever while the bleeder was still open???  Or let the fluid level in the reservoir get too low during bleeding???

gravity bleeding will NOT remove all the air in a system... nope, uh-uh, sorry.... that's why car dealerships "pressure bleed"... gotta have prssurized flow to scrub out those little bubbles that cling... want to make a "po' boyz bleeding rig"? a peanut butter jar,  2 nipples that fit your bleed tubing, some plumbers epoxy, and one of those hand vac pumps.... both nips get mounted through the lid of the jar, sealed with the epoxy... one nip gets a piece of tubing, just long enough to make the bottom of the jar(that one gets hooked to the bleed fitting), the other gets hooked to the vac pump... crack your bleeder, mount the jar to it, pump up to 15 inches vac... tie your brake handle halfway applied, remove thy master cylinder cover, open and shut the bleeder rapidly... if you get below 10 inches vac, pump it back up.... the rapid opening and closing makes a turbulent flow, that scrubs ALL the air out... suspect your hose is expanding and killing the flow to the caliper? check by tightly wrapping with masking tape(neatly, no wrinkles)... take a test ride and hit the front brake hard a few times... if the tape is broken, the hose is expanding....  Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 12:22:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › brake question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.