Send Topic Print
First Ride (Read 191 times)
Gideon1986

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NE Ohio
First Ride
05/15/09 at 19:27:24

It was a perfect day today and it so happened that I only worked 4 hours, so I took my bike for a ride. It was fun. This was my first REAL ride. I must admit, there were a couple of turns/swerves that I think I was going too fast. I panicked a little. The motor died on my at least two times during throttle from a deceleration. The fastest I was going was 60MPH. In Ohio, there are a lot of a mixture of country and city roads. I was having a blast.... Cheesy

IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Re: First Ride
Reply #1 - 05/15/09 at 23:09:40

The first of the "smiles per gallon". Congratulations. It's a great feeling. That bog on decel will no doubt get the attention of some of the gurus here, who can tell you what needs done to the carb to stop that.
It's gonna be a great summer! Smiley

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #2 - 05/16/09 at 11:23:56

congrats! i'm still in the "wow this is new and awesome" mode!

be happy u have back roads, in south florida it's either the beach...or bumper 2 bumper.....that's y i ride @ night!!

and there's so many stop lights i have gotten very good @ start, stop, down shift....etc etc....except when i fish tail lol

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #3 - 05/16/09 at 11:28:16

Rocco wrote on 05/16/09 at 11:23:56:
congrats! i'm still in the "wow this is new and awesome" mode!

be happy u have back roads, in south florida it's either the beach...or bumper 2 bumper.....that's y i ride @ night!!

and there's so many stop lights i have gotten very good @ start, stop, down shift....etc etc....except when i fish tail lol

rte 27, okeechobee rd (awesome twisties), and just about any road in western martin county!!

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #4 - 05/16/09 at 11:31:11

from jog take okeechobee....then a left or a right? cuz greenacres and lake worth are slacking on scenery haha

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #5 - 05/16/09 at 13:00:53

Rocco wrote on 05/16/09 at 11:31:11:
from jog take okeechobee....then a left or a right? cuz greenacres and lake worth are slacking on scenery haha

west and north... towards the lake... redneck cattle country.... most of the cross peninsula state and old fed roads would make good rides (north of PB county).... it's just us "way down south boyz" that get ripped off for scenery.... 27 is great for winding her out on long straights.... just be mile and fuel concious, there aint lots of texacos out in the toolies...lol and check the reasonably local "wildlife management areas" (john lloyd, etc), most have great roads through them, and real nature kinda stuff... not alot of old cypress growing along "calle ocho"... the one place to avoid is hialeah... you take your life in your hands piloting a cage through that neighborhood, let alone a bike...rofl

edit: just remember, most of those rural roads are tarred macadam down here, not smooth asphalt... less actual tire patch contact, so less traction.... for those with question marks floating over their heads, Macadam "invented" the gravel road... "tarred macadam" is those gravel roads that are glued together with asphalt...

IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #6 - 05/16/09 at 13:21:18

Quote:
"tarred macadam" is those gravel roads that are glued together with asphalt...

Called "chip seal" in this part of the country.  John Loudon McAdam (1756-1836) is the guy, and when you hear pavement referred to as tarmac, you're hearing a reference back to this Scottish engineer.

IP Logged
doc5446

Into the night...

Randolph, Ohio
Reply #7 - 05/16/09 at 18:29:30

Gideon1986 wrote on 05/15/09 at 19:27:24:
It was a perfect day today and it so happened that I only worked 4 hours, so I took my bike for a ride. It was fun. This was my first REAL ride. I must admit, there were a couple of turns/swerves that I think I was going too fast. I panicked a little. The motor died on my at least two times during throttle from a deceleration. The fastest I was going was 60MPH. In Ohio, there are a lot of a mixture of country and city roads. I was having a blast.... Cheesy

What parts of NE Ohio you from? I'm close to Ravenna.

K&N air filter, stage 1 jet set, SuperTrapp megaphone exhaust, solo seat w/ clothespin springs, stainless seatpan w/ fenderbib.1971 CB front fender and mirror.
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #8 - 05/16/09 at 19:14:33

sweeet! my friend rides lake okeechobee all the time and he says it beautiful!

i love a1a near the inlet, but there's just 2 many stop lights around here....i'll def be looking for room here shortly...speaking of which..gonna check the weather and roll on!

IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #9 - 05/16/09 at 19:47:36

PTRider wrote on 05/16/09 at 13:21:18:
Quote:
"tarred macadam" is those gravel roads that are glued together with asphalt...

Called "chip seal" in this part of the country.  John Loudon McAdam (1756-1836) is the guy, and when you hear pavement referred to as tarmac, you're hearing a reference back to this Scottish engineer.

I've always wondered about the origin of "tarmac". Thanks for sharing that one  PTRider.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
Gideon1986

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NE Ohio
Reply #10 - 05/16/09 at 20:28:58

[/quote]
What parts of NE Ohio you from? I'm close to Ravenna. [/quote]

I live in Cortland. I rode route 305, Route 87 and Route 322... It was a blast.... Cheesy

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #11 - 05/17/09 at 10:04:37

My wife is from Liberty, just outside of Youngstown.  There are some good country roads in that area too. Or just cross over into Penn., and visit with the backroads Amish. Some nice scenery there.

IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #12 - 05/18/09 at 12:12:07

oh, and Gideon, buy a "firm" toothbrush.... much easier to scrub the accumulation of bug-guts on your teeth from that ear to ear grin...

IP Logged
Duane

Creatively
Maladjusted

Terra Plane
Reply #13 - 05/18/09 at 12:19:34

As far a bike dying on decel, I'd just bump up my idle a little bit and see if that helps.

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. JFK

WWW duanedaringer   IP Logged
Gideon1986

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NE Ohio
Reply #14 - 05/19/09 at 04:42:23

Duane wrote on 05/18/09 at 12:19:34:
As far a bike dying on decel, I'd just bump up my idle a little bit and see if that helps.

pix would help me a lot... i am mechanically challenged  Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 12:16:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › First Ride

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.