Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fire and pop out the back end (Read 122 times)
odvelasc
Ex Member

Fire and pop out the back end
05/15/09 at 18:38:50

So, I am definitely running lean, just not sure on what circuit. I am running a VM carb, dial a jet, a 15 pilot bled with a number 40 drill, and a 140 main jet. I get a nice flame out the exhaust when I rev at idle, a loud pop on shutdown, and snap crackle when changing gears. No leaks in the muff, and tried the air screw but no go. I cant go more rich  
with the dial a jet as the engine bogs down. Please dont tell me that I have to go back into my carb and rejet to a more rich main. I am oh so tired of that. Sad I have a feeling that I need a more rich main jet countered with a lean setting on the dial a jet.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Fire and pop out the back end
Reply #1 - 05/15/09 at 18:46:45

But the dial a jet is supposed to fix that, ain't it?

To me (no exp w/dial a jet) sounds like you gotta problem with the dial a jet.  One setting up and it bogs out?  Does it have some sort of metering jet? I'd lean that out.

WWW   IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/15/09 at 19:49:19

No metering jet. I think that I have to find the right jetting and then dial the dial a jet for altitude and temp. I know that some have had to find the right jetting for best performance with the dial a jet.

IP Logged
dr1445

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/16/09 at 06:03:59

leaner on the needle clip by one? i have no experience with the dial jet since i have moved on to pumper carbs to eliminate that balancing act between rich and lean. also you might need a bigger pilot, how many tuns out is your fuel screw?

IP Logged
seviersavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Smoky Mountains Tennessee
Reply #4 - 05/16/09 at 06:18:43

That main seems pretty lean to me. I'm at 160, and I went to the richest setting on my dial a jet because at WOT it needed more. Now I'm good at any throttle opening. The dial a jet really is only starting to come into play at the begining and is fully involved as you approach WOT. But of course only under load. 140 just seems a little to lean.
Hey at least the jets are easy to change, just spin the carb around in the boot and drop the bowl. Your gonna love a supertrapp by the way.
Seviersavage

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/16/09 at 11:03:42

seviersavage wrote on 05/16/09 at 06:18:43:
That main seems pretty lean to me. I'm at 160, and I went to the richest setting on my dial a jet because at WOT it needed more. Now I'm good at any throttle opening. The dial a jet really is only starting to come into play at the begining and is fully involved as you approach WOT. But of course only under load. 140 just seems a little to lean.
Hey at least the jets are easy to change, just spin the carb around in the boot and drop the bowl. Your gonna love a supertrapp by the way.
Seviersavage

I dont know how I feel about the megaphone look but it is unique, and will add power. Yeah I figured I was a little lean. I just changed my needle position but it is raining today so  I cant test. I will see how my ride to work goes tomorrow. Hey SS, I am only a few hundred above sea level, so I dont need to be as rich as you are. Or do I need to be more on the rich side because the air is denser down here lol?

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #6 - 05/16/09 at 11:18:20

screw it, make the flames bigger, buy marshmallows....and people won't tailgate!! hahahaaaa Cheesy

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #7 - 05/16/09 at 11:24:38

odvelasc wrote on 05/16/09 at 11:03:42:
Seviersavage

I dont know how I feel about the megaphone look but it is unique, and will add power. Yeah I figured I was a little lean. I just changed my needle position but it is raining today so  I cant test. I will see how my ride to work goes tomorrow. Hey SS, I am only a few hundred above sea level, so I dont need to be as rich as you are. Or do I need to be more on the rich side because the air is denser down here lol?

lower richer, higher leaner.... more humid leaner, less richer... hotter air temp leaner, colder richer.... more o2 density, richer... less o2 density, leaner....

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 05/16/09 at 12:40:47

marshall13 wrote on 05/16/09 at 11:24:38:
Seviersavage

lower richer, higher leaner.... more humid leaner, less richer... hotter air temp leaner, colder richer.... more o2 density, richer... less o2 density, leaner....

thanks marshall

IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #9 - 05/16/09 at 12:44:44

odvelasc wrote on 05/16/09 at 12:40:47:
marshall13 wrote on 05/16/09 at 11:24:38:
Seviersavage

thanks marshall

anytime bro... it would seem that more(alt, hum, temp) is less(fuel)... or vice versa....lol Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 22:27:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fire and pop out the back end

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.