Clutch slip (Read 87 times)
AngloSaxon

I'd rather have one
big one than four
small ones.

Framingham MA
Clutch slip
05/15/09 at 08:19:00

I have an '87 with 9000 miles on it. I noticed that when in top gear, if I crank on the throttle the clutch slips a little. What I'm thinking of doing is replacing the springs or even adding a washer under the old springs. Thoughts anyone?
If I go the washer route, does anyone know the ID and OD of the clutch springs?

As yet, a Bog Standard '87 with a big arse Harley muffler.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Clutch slip
Reply #1 - 05/15/09 at 08:43:24

The washer thing has been done, only caution I would give you is becarefull not to go to thick and overcompress the springs.

WWW   IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #2 - 05/15/09 at 09:56:09

if the springs are fatigued, replace them, dont shim them....if they're not fatigued, then shimming would be a bandaid for another problem, not a repair.... are you running an oil that could cause the slip? are the plates worn? is the basket worn?  better to do a full teardown on the clutch, and repair the problem, then just try to increase compressive force on the plates.....

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 05/16/09 at 01:03:03

at 9.000 miles, IF the clutch is actually worn enough to slip, someone has used it poorly. I would look at the oil first, unless you know you tend to slip the clutch a lot & expect it to be worn out. The wrong type of oil will sure make them slip.

IF you do go with washers, be aware , the thickness of washers varies greatly & the landing for the springs is machined into the casting. A washer will sit on top of the machined area, causing each spring to be loaded differently. I stacked mine on a bolt & chucked that up in the drill press & used a grinder to "turn" the washers down to the needed OD.

I sorted thru a bunch of washers with the calipers before I found the ones with a small difference in thickness I wanted.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #4 - 05/16/09 at 06:41:20

I just had a very similar problem.  I was running a Castrol synthetic product that wasn't rated for motorcycles.  Switching back to good old forty weight dino juice cleared it right up.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:26:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clutch slip

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.