Tool Kit Essentials (Read 398 times)
False Illusion

Two digits down as
we're passin'!

Dayton/Southwest Ohio
Tool Kit Essentials
05/15/09 at 06:41:24

Hey Everyone...

I checked the "Table of Contents" in the Tech. section to find an answer to this question (as it seems very basic), but to no avail.

With that being said...

What tools should I stow on the bike if I'm going to hit the road for any kind of lengthy journey?

I plan on keeping my stock tool kit for nostalgic purposes only. Wink

Thanks, everyone, ride safe and have a GREAT weekend!

Black '07 Boulevard S40 w/ OEM Saddlebags, Windshield, Guard, SissyBar,and Rack. Schwinn Bicycle Computer, Highway Pegs by Thumperclone, Time Piece ala the $ store...and a $5 cooler from WalMart Wink
  IP Logged
Duane

Creatively
Maladjusted

Terra Plane
Re: Tool Kit Essentials
Reply #1 - 05/15/09 at 07:04:53

With 100 mile range on a tank I just take the cell phone. But my Savage is just my short distance scooter. If I going interstate I feel safer in a car.

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. JFK

WWW duanedaringer   IP Logged
Balderdash

Minnesota
Reply #2 - 05/15/09 at 07:11:39

I think I would want all the tools I need to reach the spark plug and remove it.  

So (if you still have the chrome covers on the engine top), that would mean the wrench to take off the seat and the gas tank, the original equipment tool for taking out the spark plug is a good keeper because it also fits the brake bolts etc., and I replaced all my engine bolts with stainless steel allen wrench bolts (metric size 5) so I would put one size 5 allen wrench in the tool kit as well.  And air gauge and pliers would round it out well I think...  Am I forgetting anything?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I wear a leatherman tool on my belt, it carries all the screwdriver heads I would need and that would work as as a secondary pliers whenever both ends of a bolt needs to be held to remove something...

IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #3 - 05/15/09 at 07:30:09

Yeah I agree, changing out everything you can to be a 4mm or 5mm head Allen will greatly reduce what you will need to carry. I have done this and don't regret it what so ever. Then you can get cool caps to put over them and keep the stuff out or just make them look nice.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #4 - 05/15/09 at 08:41:01

When you do the head bolt torque maintenance, put each tool you use into some sort of container and that will be what you need for just about any problem on the side of the road.  That would have your 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 14mm and 17mm tools (sockets and wrenches) as well as other necessary tools covered. Add some allen wrenches, needle nose pliers, flat head screwdriver, zip ties, electrical tape and whatever else and you've got about everything you need for most jobs except maybe removing the fork tubes or rear tire. Add a 19mm wrench in there for removing/replacing your clutch cable.

IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #5 - 05/15/09 at 08:44:09

Duct Tape for things that shouldn't move. WD40 for things that should move. Anyhing else is optional Cheesy

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #6 - 05/15/09 at 09:03:42

diamond jim wrote on 05/15/09 at 08:41:01:
When you do the head bolt torque maintenance, put each tool you use into some sort of container and that will be what you need for just about any problem on the side of the road.  That would have your 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 14mm and 17mm tools (sockets and wrenches) as well as other necessary tools covered. Add some allen wrenches, needle nose pliers, flat head screwdriver, zip ties, electrical tape and whatever else and you've got about everything you need for most jobs except maybe removing the fork tubes or rear tire. Add a 19mm wrench in there for removing/replacing your clutch cable.

forgot the 2 razor blades(wrapped), wire cutters, patch kit, 2 tire spoons...a small tube of form-a gasket is nice too(not many suzi dealers stocking gaskets where you'll break down ill bet)... one of those pocket 12v test lights is a good idea too....belt staple(harley shop, for emergency roadside belt repair) or masterlink, and a mini-maglite because everybody knows you only break down right before it becomes too dark to see...lol  2 20 ft lengths of 10 guage wire with gator clips on the end would make a great set of jumper cables too...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 05/15/09 at 09:07:14

I've been trying to decide... drag the floor jack or strap it to the sissy bar?

WWW   IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #8 - 05/15/09 at 09:12:00

lol u could pull a radio flyer full of whatever u need !!

i'm shopping for a cheap tool bag, for the back i think, and i will def be carrying fuses !!

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #9 - 05/15/09 at 09:20:09

verslagen1 wrote on 05/15/09 at 09:07:14:
I've been trying to decide... drag the floor jack or strap it to the sissy bar?

tow bar... lol

IP Logged
SavageDanny

I ate what?

Kansas City, Missouri
Reply #10 - 05/15/09 at 09:29:56

Balderdash wrote on 05/15/09 at 07:11:39:
I think I would want all the tools I need to reach the spark plug and remove it.

I agree with that. I am not sure I would want to do much more than that on the side of the road or in a parking lot.

I would definitely take a cell phone.

Flat Black 88

WWW SavageDanny   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #11 - 05/15/09 at 09:31:06

And a portable bench vise.

IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #12 - 05/15/09 at 09:45:31

the definative answer seems to be "everything you need, but not too much".... dont forget the baling wire... ive driven cars practically made from the stuff....lol

IP Logged
Duane

Creatively
Maladjusted

Terra Plane
Reply #13 - 05/15/09 at 13:14:06

cell phone  Shocked and a wife with my truck keys.  Grin

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. JFK

WWW duanedaringer   IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #14 - 05/15/09 at 19:12:36

Duane wrote on 05/15/09 at 13:14:06:
cell phone  Shocked and a wife with my truck keys.  Grin

...and a ramp and a come-along to drag it up the ramp and into the bed, along with tie-downs.

*come-along, puller, winch, chain hoist...whatever.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 06:24:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tool Kit Essentials

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.