Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Tool Kit Essentials (Read 398 times)
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Re: Tool Kit Essentials
Reply #15 - 05/15/09 at 19:24:45

Quite frankly, I expect my motorcycles to be as reliable as my cars. The only roadside breakdown I expect is a flat tire, and I carry a credit card, cell phone, and roadside assistance insurance for that. Since I quit driving two-stroke motorcycles, I have never had a spark plug failure. Since breaker points went out of fashion, I have never had an ignition failure. Since my 1959 Vespa motorscooter I have never had a control cable break. I concede to having to adjust the chain on my wife's Twinstar, but its onboard toolkit was adequate for that. That adjustment would not have been necessary, had I relied on 90-weight gear oil for chain lube instead of trusting the advertising on the can of PJ-1.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #16 - 05/15/09 at 19:28:55

Charon wrote on 05/15/09 at 19:24:45:
Quite frankly, I expect my motorcycles to be as reliable as my cars. The only roadside breakdown I expect is a flat tire, and I carry a credit card, cell phone, and roadside assistance insurance for that. Since I quit driving two-stroke motorcycles, I have never had a spark plug failure. Since breaker points went out of fashion, I have never had an ignition failure. Since my 1959 Vespa motorscooter I have never had a control cable break. I concede to having to adjust the chain on my wife's Twinstar, but its onboard toolkit was adequate for that. That adjustment would not have been necessary, had I relied on 90-weight gear oil for chain lube instead of trusting the advertising on the can of PJ-1.

i have the same expectations, and my gear answer should lead you to suspect the existance of 400 lbs or so of tools in my truck bed...lol  i do carry a floorjack... rofl

IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #17 - 05/15/09 at 23:06:24

Here are a couple of previous postings on long trips. They were in RSD.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1237731677/0
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1240271775/1#1
The only thing I would add would be to have a spare set of all your keys with you, in oyur jacket pocket. That way if you lose your keys, your trip ain't over. Oh, and zip ties. Lots and lots of zip ties. Have a great trip and take lots of pics. With this recession, the only traveling I'm doing is vicariously.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #18 - 05/16/09 at 08:30:21

The thing is, you can NEVER carry enough tools or spares to cover any possible problem. Even if you could carry a complete spare vehicle, you couldn't guarantee it wouldn't fail just like the first one did. Even if you could carry enough tools, including the heavy-duty press to replace bearings, you couldn't guarantee having the part you would need - unless you had enough parts to manufacture the spare identical vehicle. About all you can do is cover the most likely failure. If you keep up on your maintenance, few failures are very likely. I, for one, figure when the failure happens - most likely a flat tire - to use the cell phone and roadside assistance service for the repair.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #19 - 05/16/09 at 08:40:41

Our stand tool kit will fix any problem thats fix able on the road .Any other problem you probability can't fix on the road.Only thing I every carried was a can of flat fix,But never had to use it

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
aliassmith

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 05/16/09 at 10:23:29

A full checkbook.

Aliassmith

IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #21 - 05/16/09 at 20:04:13

bill67 wrote on 05/16/09 at 08:40:41:
  Our stand tool kit will fix any problem thats fix able on the road .Any other problem you probability can't fix on the road.Only thing I every carried was a can of flat fix,But never had to use it

I think that's tha best, common sense, answer to this question. Being paranoid, I still carry duct tape, spare fuse, zip ties, and of course the spare keys; but that's just me.
+1 Bill!

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #22 - 05/16/09 at 21:59:07

When I got my bike 2 years ago, the po lost the tool kit.
I've since replaced it, noted the cobwebs on it as I inspected the contents.  Put it all back together and tucked it away under the cover.  I hope it's still there.   Grin  With my big crank, I have no need to open the cover.  Although I'm thinking of putting a copy of the registration in there, in case I loose my wallet.

WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #23 - 05/17/09 at 03:41:51

verslagen1 wrote on 05/15/09 at 09:07:14:
I've been trying to decide... drag the floor jack or strap it to the sissy bar?

LOL
  Grin

IP Logged
Pabst 2006

Thump Thump KERPOW!

Rochester, NY
Reply #24 - 05/17/09 at 06:06:59

my toolkit consists of 1.) cell phone 2.) bottle of Slime tire sealant 3.) digital tire pressure gauge 4.) phone number for roadside assistance - Progressive makes it ridiculously cheap to add into your moto insurance policy.

IMHO the benefits of keeping up with regular maintenance on this 2-wheeled beast result in not having to experience a roadside "Oh, *#$&%!!!!!" moment.

I would rather not weigh down the front end with a fork bag or take up space in bags in the back with a bunch of tools from my toolbox, if the odds are only thing I should be worried about during my travels are tire punctures and an errant, misguided deer/turkey/raccoon crossing the road.  Knock on wood.

2008 S40 - Red
  IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #25 - 05/17/09 at 11:08:10

bill67 wrote on 05/16/09 at 08:40:41:

id say add a masterlink if you run a chain, or belt repair staple if you run a belt, and you're 100% correct.... i know, popped chains and belts are very rare, but i have a major allergy to pushing a bike... if i wanted to balance and push, id have a wheelbarrow....

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #26 - 05/18/09 at 07:09:45

I carry A lock & cable in case you have to leave bike along the road for a short time.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #27 - 05/18/09 at 22:40:35

verslagen1 wrote on 05/15/09 at 09:07:14:
I've been trying to decide... drag the floor jack or strap it to the sissy bar?

Drag it, that's what they got wheels for, ain't it?

What, you mean they're not rated to 70 mph? Huh

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Diabla
YaBB Newbies

Bay Area, CA
Reply #28 - 11/23/09 at 12:17:29

Nice thread... thanks for all the thoughts.  

I think I'll carry some duct tape and a spare key too. kekeke :p

'All Knowledge is Worth Having'
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 08:22:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tool Kit Essentials

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.