Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What fuel grade ? (Read 200 times)
Gort
Ex Member

Re: What fuel grade ?
Reply #15 - 05/15/09 at 10:44:36

Internal cylinder temperatures vary in an air cooled engine much more than in a water cooled engine because airflow is required.  These internal cyl. temps will increase to the point of pre-ignition under long idling or short stop and start conditions on hot days.  It has happened to a number of members, and they have reported this, in the past.  A cold plug will help that, but once you resume normal driving speeds and the engine cools to normal operating temps., the cold plug will be too cold for those conditions.  Hi octane gas covers all these issues. I have used it exclusively in my Savage and the plug burns clean.

IP Logged
Duane

Creatively
Maladjusted

Terra Plane
Reply #16 - 05/15/09 at 12:52:40

Arthur wrote on 05/15/09 at 10:44:36:
Internal cylinder temperatures vary in an air cooled engine much more than in a water cooled engine because airflow is required.  These internal cyl. temps will increase to the point of pre-ignition under long idling or short stop and start conditions on hot days.  It has happened to a number of members, and they have reported this, in the past.  A cold plug will help that, but once you resume normal driving speeds and the engine cools to normal operating temps., the cold plug will be too cold for those conditions.  Hi octane gas covers all these issues. I have used it exclusively in my Savage and the plug burns clean.

That's a idea, my head pipe is very discolored so I'm guessing my runs too hot. My right pants leg tends to get a hole burnt in it too from touching the oil filter access cover.

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. JFK

WWW duanedaringer   IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 05/15/09 at 14:59:20

Check the content of your gas on the pump. Here in AZ the state mandates additives in the summer blend (starting about April 15) to combat smog. My four cyl bikes ran like crap for 4-6 months a year. (until the blend changed back). Compression was above 10 for all of them.
As for corn...it better come from Kentucky or Tennessee!

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #18 - 05/15/09 at 19:41:00

Here in Nebraska we use a good deal of 10% ethanol fuel. It is said to be 89 or 90 octane, while regular non-ethanol gas is usually 87 octane. I buy whichever is less expensive. I have never been able to tell any difference in performance or mileage between the two.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #19 - 05/15/09 at 20:33:03

octane in Illinois and Wisconsin are 87    89    93,10 cents more as you go up per gallon.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Duane

Creatively
Maladjusted

Terra Plane
Reply #20 - 05/15/09 at 20:56:17

When it's hotter I'm going to run middle grade, otherwise regular, when the bugget allows. I never heard any spark ping. Getting around 55mpg this season so far.

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. JFK

WWW duanedaringer   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 08:33:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What fuel grade ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.