Educatedredneck
Alliance Member

Sometimes it's
better to be lucky
than good.

Hampstead, Maryland
Installing a Drag Bar
05/14/09 at 22:48:41

I got a drag bar off of E-bay for my birthday, and I'm in the process of getting all the controls on the new bar, but it seems tha the clutch cable might end up being too long.   The bar itself has a 2" rise built in to it, and I have checked the clearance to the fuel tank, for I'm using the stock risers.  So my question, Does anyone know if the stock S40 clutch cable is shorter since they come with the drag bar style handlebars, or is the the cables the same no matter the style handlebars.  I'm taking off the stock buckhorns, cause I can't stand them.  

I'm not apposed to getting a custom cable made, but I didn't have to go that route, I could be on the road sooner.

I also thought about re-routing the cable, to come out the right side of the frame, and crossover behind the headlamp, does anyone know if I'll have issues with this.

1997 Savage - Hard Chrome Drag Pipe, Seat Mod, 152.5 main, 1 - #4 washer, Di Hard Battery, T-Kat, 1" Drag Bar
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Re: Installing a Drag Bar
Reply #1 - 05/14/09 at 22:55:29

The drag bar cables are shorter than the buckhorn bar cables.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 05/14/09 at 22:58:15

I did the same thing but my bars are about 30" wide.
I think you'll need to rise the stock risers.  Get some 3/4" deep sockets with 3/8" drive.  In the stock riser is a bolt, take that and the socket to the local hardware store and buy two bolts the length of the bolt plus the socket.  Get 3/8" diameter rather than the metric cause it won't fit in the socket.  Two self locking nuts and you're good to go.

WWW   IP Logged
Educatedredneck
Alliance Member

Sometimes it's
better to be lucky
than good.

Hampstead, Maryland
Reply #3 - 05/15/09 at 23:09:04

I'm keeping the stock risers, for I like the look of the bar on the bike with it, and it atm feels good.  I'll have to look into getting an S40 cable, just might take the old cable with me when I get it to compare, that way if its too short, it will save me a trip.

Thanks for the replies, once I get it all sorted, I'll post some pics.

My bar is 32" wide btw.

1997 Savage - Hard Chrome Drag Pipe, Seat Mod, 152.5 main, 1 - #4 washer, Di Hard Battery, T-Kat, 1" Drag Bar
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 12:30:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Installing a Drag Bar

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.