Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: performance exhaust
Reply #15 - 05/15/09 at 05:13:41

LANCER wrote on 05/15/09 at 05:10:54:
Stock header has 1.3" ID...very small for a 650cc jug. Sporty's with 440 or 600cc jugs use 1.75" OD (or 1.6" ID) headers.
It is my understanding that the Raask header has a 1.5" ID on the double wall pipe.  That is probably best for a stock or slightly modified engine.  My header has a 1.65" ID and is coupled with a R&D muffler made by Cone Engineering (for a company called Evolution Air I think) a few years back which was being tested for use on the big engine harleys (1550cc at the time, so 775cc per cyl).  As far as I know the design never made it to production.  Anyway, it is a terrific performance muffler;  probably a bit on the loud side for many folks but the thing works well in conjunction with the larger header on a modified engine.

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #16 - 05/15/09 at 05:34:32

A slight increase in diameter of the header pipe would help with a an engine modded for performance.  Usually the best diameter is a little narrower than most people would think is best.  Your 1.65" diameter header makes sense whereas a 2" ID header would be too big.  I think about 2/3rds of the exhaust performance is determined by the header ID and header length with the rest of the exhaust system/muffler providing the remaining performance.

IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #17 - 05/15/09 at 10:46:33

remember, this engine is 1/8 of a 320 cubic inch v-8, so examine the headers designed for say a mopar 318, or 340, or a chevy 327.... smaller primary pipe diameter(headpipe on the bike) gives better scavenging at lower revs, larger better at higher(the higher velocity through the headpipe gives the exhaust gas a higher dynamic inertia, thus increasing the venturi effect on both the intake valve, and the tail end of the exhaust stream)....  so what rev ranges do you run at mostly? with the stock iggy box set to retard your spark at 6000 rpm or so, we can assume our powerband will be between say 1500 and 6500 rpm max.... what size primary pipe do the race boys run on smallblock v-8s in that rev range? 1 1/2 inch.... 1 1/4 for say a mopar 270..... if you're a redline maniac, and run high revs most of the time, then a larger primary will be a better compromise (1 3/4 inch).....but, the bottom end of your curve will lose torque, because of the 16% greater cross section of the pipe(lower velocity stream)..... clear as mud now, huh?...lol

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #18 - 05/15/09 at 19:14:51

marshall13 wrote on 05/15/09 at 10:46:33:
remember, this engine is 1/8 of a 320 cubic inch v-8, so examine the headers designed for say a mopar 318, or 340, or a chevy 327.... smaller primary pipe diameter(headpipe on the bike) gives better scavenging at lower revs, larger better at higher(the higher velocity through the headpipe gives the exhaust gas a higher dynamic inertia, thus increasing the venturi effect on both the intake valve, and the tail end of the exhaust stream)....  so what rev ranges do you run at mostly? with the stock iggy box set to retard your spark at 6000 rpm or so, we can assume our powerband will be between say 1500 and 6500 rpm max.... what size primary pipe do the race boys run on smallblock v-8s in that rev range? 1 1/2 inch.... 1 1/4 for say a mopar 270..... if you're a redline maniac, and run high revs most of the time, then a larger primary will be a better compromise (1 3/4 inch).....but, the bottom end of your curve will lose torque, because of the 16% greater cross section of the pipe(lower velocity stream)..... clear as mud now, huh?...lol

Absolutely   Smiley

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #19 - 05/15/09 at 19:23:16

i couldnt find a super trapp for the ls on their web site when i used their find my exhaust feature..
but i aint givin up my hardkrome slash cut either...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
danroot

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #20 - 05/15/09 at 20:22:52

http://www.supertrapp.com/product_sections/detail.asp?CatID=14&ItemID=728-50650

theres a site selling for 270 if you do some searching

thumperclone wrote on 05/15/09 at 19:23:16:
i couldnt find a super trapp for the ls on their web site when i used their find my exhaust feature..

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #21 - 05/15/09 at 21:21:27

thumperclone wrote on 05/15/09 at 19:23:16:

The Hard Kromes are very good; very good air flow and great sound.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 10:34:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › performance exhaust

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.