Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Can someone help me out with the Sportser Muff Mod (Read 175 times)
trapper_canada
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Thumpers are FUN!

Can someone help me out with the Sportser Muff Mod
05/13/09 at 21:11:02

I have a sportster muffler...actually I have two.   I am getting ready to put it on my wife's bike but am not too sure how I am to do it.

I looked at the Sportster Muffler Thread (http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1114360126) but the pics are all missing (and I REALLY like pics)

Couldn't quite picture some of the stuff that was being said.

The mufflers have a tab on it.  From what I gather the tab has to be hammered back.  Which way?  If the connector end was on the right.  Do you bend it towards or away from you?  And how much... 90 degrees?

So is this bent tab able to bolt onto the stock support arm?

Does the muffler go directly into the header pipe or is their an intermediate piece needed?

I have seen (on ebay) that there are people selling reducer sleeves to go from one pipe to the other..is it required?  Or do you just clamp like crazy?

ANY other hints, advice, anything would be greatly appreciated.  My wife thinks I am gonna make a mess..she's probably right  Huh

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Can someone help me out with the Sportser Muff
Reply #1 - 05/13/09 at 21:32:58

I run a SE dyna exhaust with rail mounts so i cant help with the mounting except to say that I never did mount mine to the support arm and have had no issues. The stock muffler is HUGE and HEAVY which is what the support arm is for. The harley muffs, not even close. With the dyna muffler it slid over the head pipe. Some people make and extension to steer exhaust gases away from the rear brake arm so it doesnt get sooty and to make up for the bit of a gap between muffler and header but if you dont care about a dirty brake arm you can just cut then ends off an aluminum can, flatten the remaining tube fold it over once or twice and wrap it around the header while you slide the muffler over it. It take a little finangling but it works well. I sealed the whole thing up with copper seal just to be sure i wouldnt have any air leaks and clamped it down good and tight. No leaks. No issues. Sounds great. $25 brand new.

IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #2 - 05/13/09 at 23:12:10

ok, you're gonna have to measure the inlet on the sporty muff... if it's 1 1/2 inch id it's a bolt-on... if it's 1 3/4, you need an adaptor...you can buy the one on ebay, go to a custom shop, get 1 from an exhaust and muffler shop, or cut up a can.... if you cut a can, you have to use a good tailpipe sealer, not a muffler patch(the sealer is a good idea either way)... before you mount it with the adaptor, dry fit it... check how the mount tab lines up with the bike's bracket... does it? you may need to drill a hole, you may need to bend the tab, you may even need to add a small bar between them....  all depends on year and size of the bike the muff came off of... it sounds much more complex than it is, you'll see once you get started... ok, now dry fit the adaptor into the muff... did it go in pretty easy? if so, you're ready to go, if not, another trip to the muffler shop to get the muffs opening expanded.... make sure to use a harley clamp.... ok, everything gathered on the starboard side of your bike, you slick a little sealer inside the adaptor, then shove it onto the headpipe(may have to tap with a piece of wood, or a rubber mallet)...put the clamp on the muff or headpipe all loose, jus t so you can slide it into place, now slide the muff on(a little sealer inside the muff, and outside the adaptor), just making sure the mount tab is reasonably close to aligned, now, get your mounting setup lined up (tap, twist, shake, beg, curse, etc)and get the mounting hardware loosely installed... now tighten down your clamp(might be a good time to make sure the headpipe is secure to the head as well), finish tighten the hanger hardware, apologize to the bike for cursing at it, and start her up and check for exhaust leaks.... rejetting may be required, or just an adjustment of the airscrew depending on how "open" the muff is.... then, the "victory lap"..... easy wasnt it?

IP Logged
Educatedredneck
Alliance Member

Sometimes it's
better to be lucky
than good.

Hampstead, Maryland
Reply #3 - 05/14/09 at 00:27:01

1997 Savage - Hard Chrome Drag Pipe, Seat Mod, 152.5 main, 1 - #4 washer, Di Hard Battery, T-Kat, 1" Drag Bar
  IP Logged
savagedml

Paid Alliance
Membership (07/09)

Portsmouth, VA
Reply #4 - 05/14/09 at 05:17:40

I clamped like crazy with an automotive exhaust muffler clamp. I then buttered around the seam with exhaust sealer and finally covered it all by cutting a longways slit in a 6 inch chrome sink drain tailpiece ($2.50 at hardware store) and clamping that over the auto clamp.

White Spacer Mod and Idle Mixture Srew Mod was necessary to cure backfiring/popping. Runs / Sounds Great!

I also just used a piece of a 1/4" x 3/4" flat steel brace with holes pre-drilled to bolt muff on to stock muff hanger with a bolt, lock washer & and nut. No bending of the Sporty's tab necessary.

(P.S. I have pics but can't post them now with work computer's security software running.)

Paid Alliance Membership (07/09)
"Let's roll!"
WWW funluvncareertech   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #5 - 05/14/09 at 05:33:09

When I had a sportster muffler I used the harley clamp.  I also cut a strip of aluminum flashing that was about 1" wide and maybe 6" long.  The flashing seemed about as thin as a soft drink can aluminum so you could use that as well.  I wrapped the aluminum strip around the header twice and very tightly and held in it place with a little piece of tape.  Put the muffler on and clamped with the harley clamp.  The seal was good.  If the muffler is not perfectly lined up with the header, if it is angled even just a tad, you'll have leak problems that will be tough to resolve.  I made a mounting bracket for mine that attached to the support and insured straight mounting.

IP Logged
matt_savage

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 05/14/09 at 07:26:16

I just fit my 1200 sporty muff directly over the header pipe and clamped it down good with a 1 3/4 exhaust u-bolt clamp.  It works decent but it doesnt make a perfect seal and I get some popping and snapping on rapid decel, but its nothing that really bothers me or hinders performance.  A re-jet and intake mod were needed along with idle mix screw to accommodate the new muffler.  I do plan to try and seal up the union of the header and muff better after I move at the end of the month and get settled.

-P.S.  Would header wrap work as a decent sealer between the muff and header?  I have some left over and if it wont work then I'll try the aluminum can and high-temp copper silicone sealant idea.

-Matt

IP Logged
Wigger
YaBB Newbies

Old enough to know
better - Young
enough to Do It

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Reply #7 - 05/14/09 at 09:41:57

When I was installing my fishtail exhaust to the header pipe I sprayed the connecting parts with silicone spray - made things slippery and easier to push together.

IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #8 - 05/14/09 at 09:51:32

matt_savage wrote on 05/14/09 at 07:26:16:
I just fit my 1200 sporty muff directly over the header pipe and clamped it down good with a 1 3/4 exhaust u-bolt clamp.  It works decent but it doesnt make a perfect seal and I get some popping and snapping on rapid decel, but its nothing that really bothers me or hinders performance.  A re-jet and intake mod were needed along with idle mix screw to accommodate the new muffler.  I do plan to try and seal up the union of the header and muff better after I move at the end of the month and get settled.

-P.S.  Would header wrap work as a decent sealer between the muff and header?  I have some left over and if it wont work then I'll try the aluminum can and high-temp copper silicone sealant idea.

-Matt

go to a real auto parts store (not walmart, pepboys, or target), and get exhaust pipe sealer(not muffler patch, or repair tape)... go to your local muffler shop, and ask the guy doing weld-ups what brand he uses(he just might toss you the tailend of a tube, as well)... it's a grey ceramic slurry in a toothpaste tube... ever wonder how the shop kept that pipe joint with 2 tackwelds and no clamp from leaking? it's probably all made by the same company, just different local names for the brand (like indian head gasket shellac, which ive seen marketted under at least 5 names through the years) for high temps and medium pressures, this stuff is incredible!!  and just like bril-creme, a little dab'll do ya...

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #9 - 05/14/09 at 12:13:07

Marshall, I used that stuff on my custom longshot pipe.  The pipe and header seem bonded together now.  I've removed and reinstalled the complete exhaust 3 times so far since.  Still one solid piece.

IP Logged
trapper_canada
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Thumpers are FUN!

Reply #10 - 05/14/09 at 12:22:29

THANKS for all the input!

An extremely helpful forum this is.

I am going to see if I can do a dry run and get a better idea of what is needed.

Maybe I can find time this weekend.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #11 - 05/14/09 at 14:03:44

If you want to do the reducer sleeve, do not buy it from ebay sellers Kwikbay or Flightsimshop, they are crooks and nobody here thinks highly of them.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
trapper_canada
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Thumpers are FUN!

Reply #12 - 05/14/09 at 14:32:55

Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 05/14/09 at 14:03:44:
If you want to do the reducer sleeve, do not buy it from ebay sellers Kwikbay or Flightsimshop, they are crooks and nobody here thinks highly of them.

I was looking at Flightsimshop as he seemed to sell a lot of Savage stuff... but it is noted.  Thanks.

IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #13 - 05/14/09 at 18:23:40

diamond jim wrote on 05/14/09 at 12:13:07:
Marshall, I used that stuff on my custom longshot pipe.  The pipe and header seem bonded together now.  I've removed and reinstalled the complete exhaust 3 times so far since.  Still one solid piece.  

oh, it can be a motherless sleeper to get apart... alot worse if you're over generous with it... half of the amount you'd put on a toothbrush if it was toothpaste is plenty for a 2 1/2 inch muffler nipple.... when you finally must get them apart, make a set of wood vicejaws that are real tight on the longshot....clamp it up... make sure the joint is at least 4 inches from the vice jaws.... apply the smoke wrench(welding torch, preferably with a rosebud tip) liberally, you gotta get the pipe joint cherry... then with welding gloves covered by oven gloves, grab hold of the head pipe midway through its vertical run...you have to kind of jerk, twist, and pull all at the same time to break the bond.... way easier in the muffler shop, you just cut behind it... if it hasnt already rotted away....

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 10:22:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Can someone help me out with the Sportser Muff Mod

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.