Send Topic Print
MODS NOT NEEDED! (Read 1167 times)
alcoa

never let the
bastards wear you
down

MODS NOT NEEDED!
05/13/09 at 17:35:59

Seat yes, now tell me why all the rest of the mods that have been posted here do any real good. If they really helped the bike why not suzuki do it to? Wink

most problems are caused by the loose nut that conects the handelbars to the seat
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: MODS NOT NEEDED!
Reply #1 - 05/13/09 at 17:46:27

The ones here who have moded their bikes  the most are the ones having all the trouble with them and giving the S40 a bad name.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 05/13/09 at 17:47:20

Alcoa, I think you answered the question yourself.

WWW   IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #3 - 05/13/09 at 17:55:47

Because they are fun to do and enhance the riding experience  ;
Wink

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #4 - 05/13/09 at 18:06:26

A lot of the mods are for ascetic (sp?) purposes, or comfort for the individual riders, I think.  Like the above mentioned seat, or forward controls.  The engine and other performance mods?  From what I understand, Suzuki basically de-tunes the bike (such as making it run slightly lean) to more easily pass emissions standards with what is basically a 20 year old engine.  If you take most automobiles, even the "high performance" ones, hardly any of them are running to peak efficiency from the factory.  They have to run a balancing act between performance, and keeping the DEQ people happy. Tongue

That being said, the only engine mod I've done is to pull the brass plug on the carb and rich it up a little.  Seemed to help some.  Still surges in the midrange, so I believe the white spacer mod fixes that?  Still slightly intimidated by the carb. Grin

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #5 - 05/13/09 at 18:16:35

bill67 wrote on 05/13/09 at 17:46:27:
  The ones here who have moded their bikes  the most are the ones having all the trouble with them and giving the S40 a bad name.

Yep. Like Demin, who obviously can't touch a bike without it vanishing, leaving behind only a pile of cash.  Or Diamond Jim, who I honestly believe could carve a working motorcycle out of a block of wood with a jack knife.  Or Verslagen1, who was an integral part of the invention of an engine-saving modification.  Yonuh and his supertanker...  The list goes on.  Clearly a bunch of morons who are wrecking the coveted prestige of owning the K-Car of motorcycles.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Savage Eddie

Custom Bob's ROCK!

40 miles west of Chicago
Reply #6 - 05/13/09 at 18:18:27

Why didnt Chevy make my 1980 Z28 with 900 hp right from the factory? why did i spend all this money?
You can ask me when you catch me..... Smiley

John nailed it, you ride what you like. you mod to make it comfy, its a hobby......its a addiction!

I ride a Savage and it reflects who i am....

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #7 - 05/13/09 at 18:55:30

John_D FSO wrote on 05/13/09 at 18:06:26:
A lot of the mods are for ascetic (sp?) purposes, or comfort for the individual riders, I think.  Like the above mentioned seat, or forward controls.  The engine and other performance mods?  From what I understand, Suzuki basically de-tunes the bike (such as making it run slightly lean) to more easily pass emissions standards with what is basically a 20 year old engine.  If you take most automobiles, even the "high performance" ones, hardly any of them are running to peak efficiency from the factory.  They have to run a balancing act between performance, and keeping the DEQ people happy. Tongue

That being said, the only engine mod I've done is to pull the brass plug on the carb and rich it up a little.  Seemed to help some.  Still surges in the midrange, so I believe the white spacer mod fixes that?  Still slightly intimidated by the carb. Grin

John,
It has been said before, but the white spacer is a piece of cake.  I did get one of those hand held impact drivers to get the four screws off of the top.  You can do it, do go ahead.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 05/13/09 at 19:36:40

The S40 is a sharp looking bike,Some on here have really messed them up.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #9 - 05/13/09 at 20:25:07

alcoa wrote on 05/13/09 at 17:35:59:
Seat yes, now tell me why all the rest of the mods that have been posted here do any real good. If they really helped the bike why not suzuki do it to? Wink

Your question sounds more rhetorical than inquisitive to me especially considering the winking emoticon you added.  Assuming it is rhetorical- all those mods posted here that you question whether they really make the bike better are typically explained by the author of the posts as to why the mod makes their bike better.   So the info you ask for is there.  You may not agree with their explanation and choose to form a differing opinion.  That's your choice.  But, honestly, I put more value in the words of someone who's actually done the mod than someone who hasn't and simply has an opinion about it, educated or otherwise.

Now, if your question was simply inquisitive- read each mod's author's explanation as to why it makes their bike better.  They've taken the time to write about it and post pics for a reason.  

IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #10 - 05/13/09 at 20:27:59

Because one size really doesn't fit all. No matter how hard some try to make it be so.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 05/13/09 at 21:26:01

Because you can. The stock savage/s40 is good as it is from the factory but it also has more potential to be developed into a unique machine than most other bikes (off the floor that is). The factory seating position is okay. Not great. Forward controls. Top speed is good, not great, but those high revs...ugh. On the freeway for a distance? Why not slow them down? Chain conversion. Midrange a bit jumpy? Not a huge deal. But an easy fix. White spacer mod. The backfire is just freaking annoying after a while. Idle mix plug removal. Its an easy bike to strip down or build up as one sees fit. The designers job on almost any vehicle, particularly a low cost vehicle, is to make it appeal to as many people as possible including the people in the government. Its all a game of compromise. But once its off the floor and in your garage you dont have to compromise anymore.

IP Logged
CPLgrr-USMC

First Bike Love

Camp Pendleton, CA
Reply #12 - 05/13/09 at 21:32:08

Nobody wants to have the exact same bike as somebody else. There would be nothing to brag about, nothing to show off, nothing to be proud of except just having a stock looking bike.

IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #13 - 05/14/09 at 00:01:08

prechermike wrote on 05/13/09 at 18:55:30:

John,
It has been said before, but the white spacer is a piece of cake.  I did get one of those hand held impact drivers to get the four screws off of the top.  You can do it, do go ahead.

Thanks for the vote of confidence.  May give it a whirl next weekend, unless the weather's nice, which of course means I'll be riding. Grin

I've seen it said to use #4 washers, sometimes #3.  A couple questions:
1. which is correct, or will either work?  
2. should they be stainless, or is corrosion not really a problem?

I'll probably replace the top screws with stainless hex screws while it's apart, if the True Value has the right size.  They have a great selection, so crossing my fingers.  Oh, if I go with stainless screws, do they need antiseize, or is there no galling?

Ok, enough questions, back to you regularly scheduled thread! Cheesy

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #14 - 05/14/09 at 01:16:47

John_D FSO wrote on 05/14/09 at 00:01:08:
prechermike wrote on 05/13/09 at 18:55:30:

John,

Thanks for the vote of confidence.  May give it a whirl next weekend, unless the weather's nice, which of course means I'll be riding. Grin

I've seen it said to use #4 washers, sometimes #3.  A couple questions:
1. which is correct, or will either work?  
2. should they be stainless, or is corrosion not really a problem?

I'll probably replace the top screws with stainless hex screws while it's apart, if the True Value has the right size.  They have a great selection, so crossing my fingers.  Oh, if I go with stainless screws, do they need antiseize, or is there no galling?

Ok, enough questions, back to you regularly scheduled thread! Cheesy

The #4's require a bit of fiddling to fit, if I recall correctly. The #3's were drop in when I did mine. ACE Hardware had what I needed, though I've heard of folks going to hobby shops that sell AC airplanes, helicopters, etc.,  for the #3 washer. Definately go high quality.
As a side note, take careful consideration of your before and after. I returned my carb to stock (except for the brass plug) after a couple of months; because the improvement was not worth the decreased fuel economy. At this point I got advice that I needed to rejet and open up the exhaust. Seemed a bit much for my particular needs and taste. Besides, I'm not much of a wrencher. After I put it back, many of the problems simply went away. Maybe I didn't have it broken in enough (it only had about 1500 miles on it), maybe it just needed to be shown a little love by taking it apart and putting it back together, I don't know. Still, I've got over 10,000 miles on it now, and we've settled in together just fine. Not saying don't do it. It's worth a try. YMMV. I just recommend not doing anything you can't undo, if you so desire.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/14/24 at 15:19:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › MODS NOT NEEDED!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.