ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: MODS NOT NEEDED!
Reply #45 - 05/17/09 at 13:32:18

Louisiana_Geezer wrote on 05/17/09 at 13:04:36:
Do tell, what other things should a prospective S40 buyer such as myself be aware of before he/she plunks down his/her hard earned  money?

I'd recommend doing the maitenance as prescribed in the owners handbook.  Keep it full of oil, keep it moving, especially when hot and keep it full of gas, smile as required.  pound for pound, dollar for dollar, smiles are cheaper on a savage.

WWW   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #46 - 05/17/09 at 17:49:27

Phelonius wrote on 05/17/09 at 11:55:17:
So we all agree, the mods are not a matter of need.
They are a matter of want.

Phelonius

Depends on perspective.  There are things I'd need in a bike were I willing to lay down money to buy one for myself.  The same goes for everyone else.  But since I didn't buy my LS650 for me, but instead inherited it, I found I can meet those needs through mods in regards to performance and comfort.  It was the convenience that kept me from letting the bike go initially,  It is the result of mods that now make it my daily rider.  For me, the seat was too flat, the bars a little too narrow, the foot pegs a little too close, the power- pretty average.  Improving all of those have met my needs.  Changing lighting, modding foot pegs, enhancing the exhaust sound and other mods satisfied my wants.  So, half were needs and half were wants.  For someone shorter than me, weighs less than me and/or drives in different conditions than me might see my needs as simply wants.  But several mods were needs for me.

IP Logged
Wolf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #47 - 05/17/09 at 23:40:17

diamond jim wrote on 05/17/09 at 17:49:27:
Phelonius wrote on 05/17/09 at 11:55:17:
So we all agree, the mods are not a matter of need.
They are a matter of want.

Phelonius

Depends on perspective.  There are things I'd need in a bike were I willing to lay down money to buy one for myself.  The same goes for everyone else.  But since I didn't buy my LS650 for me, but instead inherited it, I found I can meet those needs through mods in regards to performance and comfort.  It was the convenience that kept me from letting the bike go initially,  It is the result of mods that now make it my daily rider.  For me, the seat was too flat, the bars a little too narrow, the foot pegs a little too close, the power- pretty average.  Improving all of those have met my needs.  Changing lighting, modding foot pegs, enhancing the exhaust sound and other mods satisfied my wants.  So, half were needs and half were wants.  For someone shorter than me, weighs less than me and/or drives in different conditions than me might see my needs as simply wants.  But several mods were needs for me.  

Cheesy   Mods definately needed here... basically a total rebuild while upgrading ... which is cool!

I could have left it stock and just replaced parts (over 17k here) and unknown prior maintenance...  the costs are similar*. (The Rassk shipping/handling from Sweden is about $120.  Sivert Raask is pleasent to work with!  I wanted 1 signature item.  The rest, bobbit!

So, started with a Raask 60mm Dragpipe , then read about the verslavy, so got me one... and a performance cam and nitrided cam chain ... definate slushy soundin happenin here!

Massive top knock, so a soon bore/hone and treatment by Bore Tech, o/s OEM piston kit.  This should add ease of install (no break-in) and run cooler thus longer.

I wanted to clean up the engine, so K&N 1250 air filter and a breather filter since I removed the air box.  I gain better carb access with the battery box moved 1" to the rear.  I have the jetset kit but I am considering Lancer carb for simplicity for me.   Also, since I heard via "HERE" ... I bought the stainless bolt set... so this be a "Bolt Head"... (no covers).

Seat modded (damaged), but plan another upgrade eventually.  Bobbin it planned here!

Oh!  I have a spare motor for parts too! Mainly the 5 speed transmission and cam and cam tensioner, chain guides, etc...

.... and I might one of these discounted for sale low mileage bikes here to boot and still save $$$ over a more traditional V-twin  Grin

.... gives my son a bike to ride when he visits.... I get the bobber!

My '99 should be up and runnin by end of June... that gives me time for parts to roll in and I still need to disassemble my exisitin motor...  hehe

So, I vote MOD!  ... especially if you rebuild... and have time and money... and money... lol

Wolf  Cheesy

ps.  There are many mods that I am doing that, if money is a factor, less expensive options are available.

« Last Edit: 05/18/09 at 00:52:07 by Wolf »  
  IP Logged
alcoa

never let the
bastards wear you
down

Reply #48 - 06/01/09 at 08:36:44

I did not want to dis any one, my idea of the post was find out if any of the mods are worth doing, for a better ride. I just got done with idle mix mod going to try it when I go to work at one. thanks to all I have learn things Smiley

most problems are caused by the loose nut that conects the handelbars to the seat
  IP Logged
daweise1

Old school, new
school, I cheated in
both.....

Pataskala (Cols.) Ohio
Reply #49 - 06/02/09 at 05:21:54

Know what they call a bike show with only stock bikes?     The dealership showroom.....

I mod to do something the rest of the world has not.... I mod to keep my sanity as I have my career, go to college full time at nights and help with a house and 3 kids..... I mod to free my mind of all the creative things that drive me crazy if I could or did not do them....I mod to push others like Demin and DiamondJim have pushed me by showing their bikes...

I have owned my bike for 1 year now..... I have ridden it only 10 times over 1 month..... It started leaking gas from a bad weld on the gas tank.... Dangerous, and I could have just sealed it and rode on.... Instead I will have another $5k into it, and something no one else will....

This is no lie.... My application to Grad school is a 10 page paper and graphic rendering of what my bike will look like next to the "before" pictures..... I'm a Business student... It represents free thinking which no school can teach, and I'm richly rewarded with and for.....

Dyna SE II Black muffler, HD Touring tank(6gals), Pingel petcock, HD Heel rest, Custom handlebars(Rock Chops), Adjure Flamed Headlight with spotlights, HD Flamed Signals, Oldys Gangster Fenders, Paint
  IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #50 - 06/02/09 at 09:59:19

My wife is always saying "You don't need it." to me.
I say, "It's not that I need it, but I want it. Now, I need you to go make me a sandwich!"
(she stares back with the burning white heat of a thousands suns)
"Are you sure that's what you want?"
"I ... er... um...nevermind!"  Cheesy

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #51 - 06/02/09 at 12:33:59

Hope you don't have any arsenic laying around.  If she comes back with a sandwich, a drink and a big smile... well, enjoy!

IP Logged
wheel-n-a-wheel
YaBB Newbies

whoopin'-n-the-mount
ains!!!

Arizona
Reply #52 - 06/02/09 at 15:16:14

I ain't seen nary nother sickle with one lung and a pipe like mine anywheres in these here mountains. I LOVE being the only one.

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #53 - 06/02/09 at 16:39:51

wheel-n-a-wheel wrote on 06/02/09 at 15:16:14:
I ain't seen nary nother sickle with one lung and a pipe like mine anywheres in these here mountains. I LOVE being the only one.

Don't think we've seen it either.  Show us a pic of this legendary mountain pipe.

IP Logged
cornfuzed

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

grinnin from coast to coast
Reply #54 - 06/02/09 at 19:41:29

diamond jim wrote on 06/02/09 at 16:39:51:

Don't think we've seen it either.  Show us a pic of this legendary mountain pipe.  

Ask an ye shall receive... Purtty sure this one here was my aunts... Grin

"The Finest battle implement ever devised." Ung the Caveman on the M1 Pointy Stick
2008 S40
1996 Royal Star
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #55 - 06/02/09 at 22:32:46

cornfuzed wrote on 06/02/09 at 19:41:29:
diamond jim wrote on 06/02/09 at 16:39:51:

Ask an ye shall receive... Purtty sure this one here was my aunts... Grin

http://www.joe-ks.com/archives_aug2003/PipeSmoker.jpg

I do believe that is what my college neighbor would call a "party bong"!  Shocked Grin

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #56 - 06/02/09 at 22:58:50

Only if theres water filtration going on. Otherwise thats just a lung buster.

IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #57 - 06/02/09 at 23:15:39

BurnPgh wrote on 06/02/09 at 22:58:50:
Only if theres water filtration going on. Otherwise thats just a lung buster.

Good point!  Just goes to show how much I know about it = nothing, lol.  Everyone thinks I'm full of it when I tell 'em I've never tried drugs.  Other than the legal ones: caffeine, nicotine, and alcohol! Roll Eyes

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/14/24 at 15:19:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › MODS NOT NEEDED!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.